Experian data breach info now available online

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator

RonSwanson

Executive Member
Now availlable, like in today? It's been available for a lot longer than that.

rpm

Admin
Staff member
Now availlable, like in today? It's been available for a lot longer than that.
It has indeed. Quite difficult to find a headline which describes the situation well.

It has been available on the dark web for a while, and more recently became available on the "standard" web.

Not sure how to describe the situation accurately in a few words.

rpm

Admin
Staff member
How do you check whether your details are part of the leak?
The problem is that the data set only contains emails for some users. It is therefore not possible to contact people individually.

Your bank may be able to help, but not sure if they informed all users.

Everyones-a-Wally

Honorary Master
The problem is that the data set only contains emails for some users. It is therefore not possible to contact people individually.

Your bank may be able to help, but not sure if they informed all users.
Frankly I'm amazed that my details aren't there - at least according to Troy Hunt's site. My bank hasn't contacted me either.
24 mil is almost half our population.

j4ck455

Executive Member
Experian said:
Responding to questions about the data leak, Experian said their “global security teams have not observed evidence to suggest that these files are circulating on the Internet”.

“Given this, we do not feel compelled to respond to misleading and unsubstantiated further claims,” Experian said.

“Additionally, the numbers you quote are factually inaccurate and we would direct you to our website which provides a comprehensive Q&A that deals with the known facts as of this date.”
Such an arrogant and irresponsible attitude Experian has, it's shocking that this company is still allowed to operate with impunity.

Experian needs to be shut down.

Norrad

Expert Member
I am too, but I don't see the Experian leak there? Does that mean I missed this one?
Experian shows up on mine. Check every email address you may have used at any financial institution when applying for credit.