Experience with Linteg Fibre

ronald911

Expert Member
This weekend I noticed most of the trenches open again.... turns out their initial trenches wasn't deep enough.... this is probably bound for another delay.

• Sad
Reactions: Yuu

CliffordEls

This weekend I noticed most of the trenches open again.... turns out their initial trenches wasn't deep enough.... this is probably bound for another delay.
Oof, I thought the team managers would've made sure the trenches were deep enough before they started filling again. Hopefully it doesn't take them too long to fix.

Over here I managed to get a glimpse of what they're doing. In our area each street has an upper, middle and lower section and from what i've seen they've done about 50% of the upper streets and they've started with the middle section.
It also looks like they've started pulling the fibre, in the trenches i've driven past there has been blue cabling lying in the trench. I've also seen a deep trench where it looks like they're going to be tapping into the DFA line that runs through here.
They've also said they're looking at (in terms of security) how they're going to do the home installations.

As for the work schedule, it seems they only work weekdays and not weekends and on days when it has rained (and then stopped) they also don't work. So calculating from when they started till now its been about 5 and a half days (Tuesday they didn't work becuase of rain and today they worked half day because we had an unexpected storm come in), I am astonished at how fast they are working and it seems like they will be able to finish by early December at this pace.

Now im waiting to see what Telkom does. Apparently the cables were stolen and its unlikely they will be replacing them. They've also seen trenching happening so they might start rushing to roll out here just so they can maintain whatever clients they still have (it's unlikely though)

ronald911

Expert Member
Now im waiting to see what Telkom does. Apparently the cables were stolen and its unlikely they will be replacing them. They've also seen trenching happening so they might start rushing to roll out here just so they can maintain whatever clients they still have (it's unlikely though)

Yeap exactly what happened here...

Openserve started puling aerial fibre as soon as Linteg started trenching... a big part of the area already live on Openserve.

ronald911

Expert Member
@CliffordEls Any updates your side?

I'm actually feeling really bad for Linteg as I've been pretty involved with them, since they first shown interest in our neighbourhood, I submitted Expression of Interests to them, etc till they finally green light.
I've personally met many of their team's and been communicating since day one.

I've continued to 'promote' them and tried to get the neighbourhood residents to calm the heck down whenever they get upset about a water pipe that's accidentally been hit or a driveway etc.
The team would constantly provide feedback on the whatsapp groups and tell us what's happening and occasionally drop some marketing material.

Overall, the communication between community and Linteg was great.

However, as of recent, Lineteg has gone extremely quiet in our area.

Trenches haven't been touched all week, after they started 'retrenching' because apparently it didn't comply.
Lately no more communication on the whatsapp groups from them regarding what's happening, despite many people asking questions, directly to Linteg's teams..
They seem to dodge any question related to a rough ETA.
However, before they started trenching they indicated that once wayleaves are approved, it would take about 6 weeks till they are live. We are now at about 12 weeks in with no ETA in sight.

Meanwhile, Openserve is walking around in their green uniforms, talking to residents, handing out pamphlets and talking to people at their gate, indicating their aerial fibre will be going live in a matter of days.

Strange times indeed.

CliffordEls

@CliffordEls Any updates your side?

I'm actually feeling really bad for Linteg as I've been pretty involved with them, since they first shown interest in our neighbourhood, I submitted Expression of Interests to them, etc till they finally green light.
I've personally met many of their team's and been communicating since day one.

I've continued to 'promote' them and tried to get the neighbourhood residents to calm the heck down whenever they get upset about a water pipe that's accidentally been hit or a driveway etc.
The team would constantly provide feedback on the whatsapp groups and tell us what's happening and occasionally drop some marketing material.

Overall, the communication between community and Linteg was great.

However, as of recent, Lineteg has gone extremely quiet in our area.

Trenches haven't been touched all week, after they started 'retrenching' because apparently it didn't comply.
Lately no more communication on the whatsapp groups from them regarding what's happening, despite many people asking questions, directly to Linteg's teams..
They seem to dodge any question related to a rough ETA.
However, before they started trenching they indicated that once wayleaves are approved, it would take about 6 weeks till they are live. We are now at about 12 weeks in with no ETA in sight.

Meanwhile, Openserve is walking around in their green uniforms, talking to residents, handing out pamphlets and talking to people at their gate, indicating their aerial fibre will be going live in a matter of days.

Strange times indeed.
No updates really. Trenching is still ongoing, it looks like they pushing to finish the middle section now. The blue cabling I saw was actually conduit (which makes sense). I've also seen some smaller conduits running towards the house. Criminals have started catching onto the build and are trying to gain access to properties saying they're there to install fibre but we've been told the home installations haven't started.

As for communication from Linteg I can't really speak to that, as i've said before we have a third party between Linteg and our neighbourhood watch but lately they haven't given us any information. In the beginning we got daily updates about how many houses they passed and what streets they were doing but because it looks like there is a lot more guys working on different streets its probably difficult to get accurate numbers.

As for residents complaining there has been quite a lot, we've had burst pipes and problems with our electricity since they started trenching but there haven't been any calls for them to stop. People are putting up with this because they know if Linteg pulls out then we're never getting fibre.

We are coming up on early December so depending on how trenching goes for the next 2 weeks they might actually make their deadline although im only expecting them to go live maybe January.
I haven't seen any Openserve guys around so it doesn't look like they're too interested in installing fibre here even after seeing the trenching that's happening.

As for your side, it's quite sad that Linteg went quiet. I applaud them for actually taking on the task to install fibre where bigger FNO's thought it wasn't worth it. It looks like they got a bit unlucky in your area. Maybe they're thinking of pulling out seeing as Openserve is almost up and running and the other half of your area was snatched by another FNO. Hopefully they do finish the install in your area because it's nice to have options when Telkom inevitably starts with their ****

ronald911

Expert Member
No updates really. Trenching is still ongoing, it looks like they pushing to finish the middle section now. The blue cabling I saw was actually conduit (which makes sense). I've also seen some smaller conduits running towards the house. Criminals have started catching onto the build and are trying to gain access to properties saying they're there to install fibre but we've been told the home installations haven't started.

As for communication from Linteg I can't really speak to that, as i've said before we have a third party between Linteg and our neighbourhood watch but lately they haven't given us any information. In the beginning we got daily updates about how many houses they passed and what streets they were doing but because it looks like there is a lot more guys working on different streets its probably difficult to get accurate numbers.

As for residents complaining there has been quite a lot, we've had burst pipes and problems with our electricity since they started trenching but there haven't been any calls for them to stop. People are putting up with this because they know if Linteg pulls out then we're never getting fibre.

We are coming up on early December so depending on how trenching goes for the next 2 weeks they might actually make their deadline although im only expecting them to go live maybe January.
I haven't seen any Openserve guys around so it doesn't look like they're too interested in installing fibre here even after seeing the trenching that's happening.

As for your side, it's quite sad that Linteg went quiet. I applaud them for actually taking on the task to install fibre where bigger FNO's thought it wasn't worth it. It looks like they got a bit unlucky in your area. Maybe they're thinking of pulling out seeing as Openserve is almost up and running and the other half of your area was snatched by another FNO. Hopefully they do finish the install in your area because it's nice to have options when Telkom inevitably starts with their ****

Still no word from Linteg this side.. They went totally quiet.
I'm actually feeling like an idiot now as I practically got them to our neighbourhood months ago and kept promoting them to our Rate Payers Association, etc... now we're left with abandoned trenches and they are ignoring our messages when asking for updates.

Here's my initial post on 'How I got Fibre'...

CliffordEls

Still no word from Linteg this side.. They went totally quiet.
I'm actually feeling like an idiot now as I practically got them to our neighbourhood months ago and kept promoting them to our Rate Payers Association, etc... now we're left with abandoned trenches and they are ignoring our messages when asking for updates.

Here's my initial post on 'How I got Fibre'...
Your route to getting fibre was similar to mine. Lots of emails to every FNO I could think of with lots of automated responses. I did manage to speak to someone at Vumatel and they said there was a chance my area might be rolled out in 2021 but since Linteg is here I doubt that will happen now.

As for an update here for Linteg, there seems to be a lot less trenching happening now either beause they might be ramping down operations for December of they're trenching elsewhere in the neighbourhood that I haven't seen yet.
Driving past some of their completed trenches I see they have conduits running from the trenches to most of the houses, they have also started pulling the fibre through so I imagine once thats done they will begin installing the boundary boxes.
There has also been talk that the home installations have started which surprises me because there's no boundary boxes yet for them to connect the fibre, perhaps they're just trying to speed up the process by having home installations done so when they come around for the boundary boxes they can connect everything one time.

ronald911

Expert Member
So, finally got hold of someone who was in touch with Linteg.. Quite a lot of drama apparently.

Turns out their contractor picked up scrap with their local workforce and were forced to leave, leaving trenches wide open... Don't know exactly what and how that happened.

Will update as soon as I get more info.

CliffordEls

So, finally got hold of someone who was in touch with Linteg.. Quite a lot of drama apparently.

Turns out their contractor picked up scrap with their local workforce and were forced to leave, leaving trenches wide open... Don't know exactly what and how that happened.

Will update as soon as I get more info.
If they're telling you what the problem was then hopefully they're close to solving it, not that it matters because I see in your other thread you finally got Openserve fibre.

As for here, there is no work happening at all. I haven't been able to take a drive down all the streets but from what i've seen the middle section is mostly finished, they were doing the final streets of the top section and no work has been done on the bottom section.
There's has also been no communication between us and Linteg so i'll keep an eye out, but if no work gets done in December then I only expect us to go live probably the end of January

ronald911

Expert Member
If they're telling you what the problem was then hopefully they're close to solving it, not that it matters because I see in your other thread you finally got Openserve fibre.

As for here, there is no work happening at all. I haven't been able to take a drive down all the streets but from what i've seen the middle section is mostly finished, they were doing the final streets of the top section and no work has been done on the bottom section.
There's has also been no communication between us and Linteg so i'll keep an eye out, but if no work gets done in December then I only expect us to go live probably the end of January

It's a pity though.. Usually like supporting the underdogs, especially in tech.

I hope they are sorting it out... since I got them here, all residents are basically looking at me for their open verges, kinda makes me feel responsible.

• Sad

ronald911

Expert Member
Still not a word from Linteg... last time I heard from them was on the 8th of December.
Sent another message on Thursday asking for updates, cause we still have open trenches on our verges.

Not a word from them sadly.

CliffordEls

Still not a word from Linteg... last time I heard from them was on the 8th of December.
Sent another message on Thursday asking for updates, cause we still have open trenches on our verges.

Not a word from them sadly.
We also heard nothing from Linteg for awhile but it seems like things are starting to happen now.

Here's the update they posted on Facebook:
Prestige Matrix Networks have started working on snags and fixes in cluster 1.(Map of cluster 1 more or less to follow)

Cluster 1 has gone live and the first residents has received routers etc.
*Attached is some speed tests received from residents*

Residents who still want to sign up etc can contact us for forms.
We are aware there is a lot of residents in cluster 1 that have not had home drops done etc
Contact us so we can send through for yours to be scheduled and done.
*Cluster 2 and 3 Build*
The build in the next clusters will start as soon as cluster 1 is done.
Still awaiting streets and maps for what is cluster 2 and what is cluster 3
Sophiatown Neighbourhood Watch is in contact with both PMN who is building infrastructure as well as network operators Linteg daily to get this done asap.

They didn't attach any pictures but from what I hear someone was getting 40 up and download. Now I don't know which package they were on but it looks like there's still some work to be done because they were most likely on the 50mbps package.
Im waiting to see what the cluster 1 map looks like and im crossing my fingers that we're in cluster 2 so we can get an alternative internet source soon

Techie101

Sadly Linteg has appointed a not so very capable contractor /Company called Prestige Matrix Networks to do the build in Sophiatown.

We were promised to go live in December already and that didn't happen.

The Prestige team visits homes and makes appointments for home installation etc and then you take off work and they just don't pitch.

No call
No apologies

Prestige Matrix Network seems to be very unprofessional and their communication is absolutely non existent.

Dauw who organized for Linteg to install Fibre has been running around trying to get things sorted even meeting with the owner of Linteg etc

Don't see any solution soon unfortunately and because of the incompetence of Prestige Matrix Network it seems that the cluster 2 and 3 build will likely not start this month

CliffordEls

Sadly Linteg has appointed a not so very capable contractor /Company called Prestige Matrix Networks to do the build in Sophiatown.

We were promised to go live in December already and that didn't happen.

The Prestige team visits homes and makes appointments for home installation etc and then you take off work and they just don't pitch.

No call
No apologies

Prestige Matrix Network seems to be very unprofessional and their communication is absolutely non existent.

Dauw who organized for Linteg to install Fibre has been running around trying to get things sorted even meeting with the owner of Linteg etc

Don't see any solution soon unfortunately and because of the incompetence of Prestige Matrix Network it seems that the cluster 2 and 3 build will likely not start this month
Taking a look at Openserve's fibre map they've been installing fibre in Bosmont, hopefully this means they're working their way over to us. With their line speed upgrades they are looking like a good alternative if they were to come here.

Perhaps Dauw needs to get all the show my interest forms we filled in and send it over to Supersonic and have them install their air fibre equipment on our tower. Their pricing is cheaper than Linteg and we'd probably be up and running before PMN gets their **** together

ronald911

Expert Member
Some weird stuff also happening our side..

On Friday, the lady who was involved with Linteg / NewCoFibre's marketing a few months ago suddenly posted an advert on our neighbourhood whatsapp Fibre group.... and it wasn't an advert for Linteg. Instead, it's an advert for another FNO who's been doing other parts of Scottburgh, called South Coast Fibre. It immediately made me think, "what the hell, what happened to Linteg?"

I asked directly on the group, Did South Coast Fibre buy Linteg's infrastructure by any chance?

She then responded to me in private saying, Hi. I will give you an update as soon as I'm able to.

I've honestly never been this confused. lol

CliffordEls

First part of Sophiatown has gone live with Linteg. Fibecompare doesn't show where Linteg is planning to roll out but they have supposedly started trenching other streets.

Vumatel and Telkom are fighting it out to roll out fibre in our surrounding areas. Im hoping Telkom comes here and replace their copper with fibre. Their prices are looking real appealing.
Screenshot_2021-03-04 Fibre Compare Compare Internet Packages and Providers in your Area.png