Extended Warranty

Salt

Expert Member
Hi all. I know this topic has been spoken about here endlessly. But I would like to share my experience. Our 2013 Qashqai's turbo greeted us last week Thursday. The Nissan warranty expired end of April this year. Before end of April I extended the warranty through Wesbank - The Engine Room - Motorite. Its an unlimited warranty as such. Paid R5200 for it - 2 years/200 000km. Car was towed to Nissan on the same day, Nissan logged the claim with Motorite. Motorite asked for diagnostics, service history and fotos. I then had to give Nissan the go ahead to remove the turbo as Motorite wanted to send out an independent assessor. If they didn't cover the damage I would be liable for the removing of the turbo as Nissan R3000.00 excl. Cost to fix the car - R38 500.00 (more or less). So of course I gave the go ahead...didn't have a choice if I wanted to get the claim approved and I know that was the process as stated in the contract.

Won't lie...I was stressing by now. When it was under Nissan warranty they just replaced left, right and center - no questions asked (except for once when the head light access hatch cover was missing.

Anyway, Thursday Motorite approved R37 700.00 (more or less). I was liable for R800.00 for burnt seals. This I also knew as the policy says they don't cover damaged parts due to overheating. Motorite did now already call Nissan and said they should consider paying some as the car is low mileage and the turbo should never have gone in the first place. Nissan has now taken this under review and is considering a payment of up to R9000.00 which could resolve me from my R800.00 part.

Won't lie...we were stressed as this took a week and as with insurance they ask many q's and it always feels like they look for a reason to decline. We kept faith and its worked out well for us - what a blessing. I didn't have R40k lying around for this. I will say...after this I am not so sure I want to depend on a 3rd party insurance warranty again. It is rather different from a manufacturers warranty and concerned we need to claim again. I just don't trust them to be honest. And I now understand why so many folks sign deals crazy deals for new cars with balloon payments and lease agreements etc. just to have a manufacturers warranty and not have to battle like this.

So its a mixed feedback - worked out well but wow was it stressful and really didn't instill any confidence in me or am I being unfair?

The_Traveller

Expert Member
I don't really see the problem especially since Motorite paid for 98% of the cost.

If you think manufacturers are any easier, think again. I waited around 10 days for Toyota warranty to provide feedback on a claim, and then another 2 weeks for the job to complete. Problem is still not resolved, so have to go back again. Lucky this is a company car and I have other wheels to move around with, but if that wasn't the case, I was farked.

Salt

Expert Member
I don't really see the problem especially since Motorite paid for 98% of the cost.

If you think manufacturers are any easier, think again. I waited around 10 days for Toyota warranty to provide feedback on a claim, and then another 2 weeks for the job to complete. Problem is still not resolved, so have to go back again. Lucky this is a company car and I have other wheels to move around with, but if that wasn't the case, I was farked.
I see your point and have already thought about it - they did pay which I was very grateful for. Just the process made me feel stressed out. But seeing as you've had the same experience with a manufacturers warranty perhaps I am unfair then.

Has anyone else had any issues or good experiences with 3rd party warranty suppliers?

Nemrac

EXtended car warranty

Could anyone please advise me on a good company to take out and extended warranty for my Jeep? Thank you.

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
https://www.motorhappy.co.za/plan/car-warranties

Give them a call, I use there paint tech warranty, pays out everytime without issues.
They have some comprehension fails on their site though :erm:
  • Can you afford the unexpected costs associated with replacing car parts?
  • Can you afford the cost of unexpected engine or gearbox replacement?
  • Has your manufacturer warranty expired or will it be expiring soon?
If you have answered ‘YES’ to any of these questions, you need a Car Warranty to help you get from A to B, Confidently.
If you answer yes to the first two, why would you need a warranty? :D

ahmedomar

Guys need your advice, I'm in a similar position with my Golf 7 1.4 tsi 2013

I've got the MasterCar warranty underwritten by SA warranties on this car and it is expiring soon. Should I go the long route and investigate this issue and get it repaired under warranty or just keep topping up when necessary?

The thing is VW is quoting me for the strip and quote and can't guarantee that the repair will be covered or not.

I don't want to land up in a situation where i have my car sitting in the workshop for months and me sitting with a hefty bill to pay,

thechamp

Honorary Master
Warranties :(, is it safe to just say it's the luck of the draw? With the stripping and no guarantees that it will be covered, what can be the reason for not covering the turbo?

ahmedomar

Warranties :(, is it safe to just say it's the luck of the draw? With the stripping and no guarantees that it will be covered, what can be the reason for not covering the turbo?
Sorry for not giving more detail

My car is using up oil and I'm having to top up every 2000km hence my concern

They want to strip engine to find the fault

G-unit

Sorry for not giving more detail

My car is using up oil and I'm having to top up every 2000km hence my concern

They want to strip engine to find the fault

Any update on this?
I have the same car, same year, same issue.

ahmedomar

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about your issue. I know the feeling it sucks.

Update on mine.

Car has been at the dealer now for 2months and I should be getting it back tomorrow,

Engine and Cylinder head had to be overhauled including pistons and valve guides,

Cost covered by SA warranties on the MasterCar policy which covered R43k of the cost. I had to pay in about R3k

Do you have a warranty?

Hope this helps

marine1

Honorary Master
Just reading g this and wanted to comment about motorite, stay very far away have heard nothing but bad things about them. Friend of mine has a ford ST and blew the pistons total cost is about 120k and MR will only cover 20k

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
Just reading g this and wanted to comment about motorite, stay very far away have heard nothing but bad things about them. Friend of mine has a ford ST and blew the pistons total cost is about 120k and MR will only cover 20k
What does policy wording state, these after market warranties does not cover much.

If they covered it for 20k and and paid 20k, they did there job.

ReeceDBN031

R120k seems awefully steep... can do fully forged motor for aloooooot less than that ??