External Antenna for Rain

Advaan

Hi, I've recently relocated and my rain network at my new place is terrible. The map showed that there was coverage in my area but the speeds have been so bad it is hard to even browse the web. My connectivity ranges from 3-4 out of 5 bars usually but my speed is 1.27 Mbps. I wanted to know before committing to the cost if an Lte antenna (Poynting Dual polarized medium gain LTR antenna) will help solve the problem was the speed wasn't like this before. Please advise.

rain_mobile

Rain Representative
Company Rep
Hi @Advaan

Please drop us a DM with the email address linked to your rain account so that we can further investigate your query?

jbroo

Hi, I've recently relocated and my rain network at my new place is terrible. The map showed that there was coverage in my area but the speeds have been so bad it is hard to even browse the web. My connectivity ranges from 3-4 out of 5 bars usually but my speed is 1.27 Mbps. I wanted to know before committing to the cost if an Lte antenna (Poynting Dual polarized medium gain LTR antenna) will help solve the problem was the speed wasn't like this before. Please advise.
Probably not. I have a Poynting XPol 6, getting excellent signal. Most of the day, my downstream speed is in the 1-3mbps range. The problem is likely not with you, it is just load on the rain network itself - oversubscribed. Try do speedtests late at night (after 12) or very early in the AM. If you get good speeds then, its not you, it's them. Also, what is your upload speed like?

Reference: i have upload speeds of 10-12mbps all day, and jf i'm lucky i can hit 9 or 10mbps down every now and then, but usually much less.

ghostbunny

This depends on if you have a 2600TDD capable tower near you that you can LOS with that antenna. 1800 band is congested as hell.

"D"

Expert Member
Probably not. I have a Poynting XPol 6, getting excellent signal. Most of the day, my downstream speed is in the 1-3mbps range. The problem is likely not with you, it is just load on the rain network itself - oversubscribed.
Have you tried Carrier Aggregation, Band Forcing, and all that?

"D"

Expert Member
This depends on if you have a 2600TDD capable tower near you that you can LOS with that antenna.
Any antennas that are feeling very los should quickly be plugged in again, indeed.

you can LOS with that antenna.
Translation: Los die antenna uit - moenie aan dit raak nie.

1800 band is congested as hell.
But ... but how do you know about the state of hell ...
I thought all bunnies went straight to heaven?!? :notworthy::oops::crying:

Advaan

Probably not. I have a Poynting XPol 6, getting excellent signal. Most of the day, my downstream speed is in the 1-3mbps range. The problem is likely not with you, it is just load on the rain network itself - oversubscribed. Try do speedtests late at night (after 12) or very early in the AM. If you get good speeds then, its not you, it's them. Also, what is your upload speed like?

Reference: i have upload speeds of 10-12mbps all day, and jf i'm lucky i can hit 9 or 10mbps down every now and then, but usually much less.
Hi I did several speed checks (this is all with one device connected to the network)
At 12 am it was 2.17 Mbps with upload of 3.2
At 3 am it was 1.08 Mbps with upload of 1.12 Mbps and a ping of 21 ms
At 4 am it was 4.84 Mbps with upload of 2.87 Mbps and a ping of 17 ms
At 7 am it was 1.89 Mbps with upload of 1.43 Mbps and ping of 20 ms

Advaan

Have you tried Carrier Aggregation, Band Forcing, and all that?
No not yet I have been using the sim in my phone temporarily for the last 2 weeks or so because my router broke. Planning on getting the Huawei B315. Will that all me to do all of the above?

Advaan

This depends on if you have a 2600TDD capable tower near you that you can LOS with that antenna. 1800 band is congested as hell.
I am going to check on the rain optimizer option on their website for the tower info, will post when I have it thank you for the help

jbroo

Hi I did several speed checks (this is all with one device connected to the network)
At 12 am it was 2.17 Mbps with upload of 3.2
At 3 am it was 1.08 Mbps with upload of 1.12 Mbps and a ping of 21 ms
At 4 am it was 4.84 Mbps with upload of 2.87 Mbps and a ping of 17 ms
At 7 am it was 1.89 Mbps with upload of 1.43 Mbps and ping of 20 ms
So looks like you have decent speed at 4am, which is also when there is the least amount of traffic, so looks like congestion is the issue. Try use the optimiser to connect to another tower (posted instruction in other thread).

"D"

Expert Member
I have been using the sim in my phone temporarily for the last 2 weeks or so because my router broke.
Be honest with us - you threw your router against the wall of your new place the first night there, out of frustration with the sudden diminished speeds at the new location, didn't you? :unsure:;)

No not yet I have been using the sim in my phone temporarily for the last 2 weeks or so because my router broke. Planning on getting the Huawei B315. Will that all me to do all of the above?
In some instances, yes. But there are limitations to some phones, and to some types of routers. (If you are going to invest in a router anyway, why not get one that has carrier aggregation [CA] capabilities?)

"D"

Expert Member
The problem is likely not with you, it is just load on the rain network itself - oversubscribed. Try do speedtests late at night (after 12) or very early in the AM. If you get good speeds then, its not you, it's them.
You have strong influence - you made one subtle suggestion and managed to convince New Member @Advaan to sacrifice an entire night of sleep ... on the very same evening that you suggested it! o_O

:coffee::coffee::sleep::coffee::coffee:

jbroo

You have strong influence - you made one subtle suggestion and managed to convince New Member @Advaan to sacrifice an entire night of sleep ... on the very same evening that you suggested it! o_O

:coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee:
I speak from experience

Kiemo

Guys is this good?
RSRP / -88db
RSRQ / -12db
SINR / 10
RSSI / -59dbm

Advaan

Hi, I've done so more tests and it seems to be that when I am outside my speed is relatively okay 2-4 Mbps, I think it's because i live in a complex there's the obstruction from the buildings, if I get the Huawei B315 router which has external antennas will it help my situation? I plan on getting a Poynting external antenna but probably in the next month of so

Advaan

I speak from experience
Could you pls advise on my latest post regarding my speeds outside. I'm planning to buy the router of Gumtree because I kinda need it asap to write my online exams coming up

jbroo

Could you pls advise on my latest post regarding my speeds outside. I'm planning to buy the router of Gumtree because I kinda need it asap to write my online exams coming up
Hi. I dont know what router or device you are currently using, but chances are if it performs better outside, a good router that supports external antennas will give you good results. My issues are with congestion, but even then, having aimed my external antenna with the help of the optimise tool, i at least have very stable signal now. The B315 is a great choice as it also has 2 SMA connectors, so you will get full benefit from a MIMO antenna like the XPOL range.

Factors outside your control notwithstanding (congestion), you should have good results.

Advaan

Be honest with us - you threw your router against the wall of your new place the first night there, out of frustration with the sudden diminished speeds at the new location, didn't you? :unsure:;)

In some instances, yes. But there are limitations to some phones, and to some types of routers. (If you are going to invest in a router anyway, why not get one that has carrier aggregation [CA] capabilities?)
What is
Hi. I dont know what router or device you are currently using, but chances are if it performs better outside, a good router that supports external antennas will give you good results. My issues are with congestion, but even then, having aimed my external antenna with the help of the optimise tool, i at least have very stable signal now. The B315 is a great choice as it also has 2 SMA connectors, so you will get full benefit from a MIMO antenna like the XPOL range.

Factors outside your control notwithstanding (congestion), you should have good results.
Hi okay, thank you so much for you help. This forum is bomb