F1 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Honorary Master
Joined
Aug 31, 2008
Messages
76,567

Bottas: F1 cost cap breaches merit "harsh" penalty that "really hurts"
It emerged on Thursday of the United States Grand Prix that the FIA had opened negotiations with Red Bull over the terms of an Accepted Breach Agreement - this reflects the governing body alleging the 2021 runner-up team to have overspent last season.

Then, a Red Bull press conference expected on Friday to address the charge had to be scrapped owing to Christian Horner not having met FIA president Mohammed ben Sulayem.
Therefore, the wait continues to see if Red Bull will accept the proposed punishment or instead continue to plead its innocence, as it has done ever since the allegations emerged.

Speaking in Austin, the first round after the FIA published its statement claiming Red Bull had exceeded the cost cap, Bottas reckoned the governing body had to lay down the law.
He said: “I feel like rules are rules and if you don't follow them, there should be a penalty that really hurts.
“I personally hope it's going to be a strict and harsh penalty because that shouldn't happen. Rules are the rules.
“There are many rules in F1 and there should be no difference in terms of the penalty.”

Current Alfa Romeo driver Bottas left Mercedes at the end of 2021, having helped the squad retain the constructors’ championship but with team-mate Lewis Hamilton missing out on the drivers’ crown in the controversial Abu Dhabi decider to Red Bull’s Max Verstappen.

The Finn continued: “Let's hope that it's a good penalty that really, really hurts them.
“I was sitting in the fight last year for the constructors’.
“Yes, we got that, but we missed the drivers title by a few points and a few million [pounds]. It can make a big, big difference.”
Likewise, Ferrari driver Carlos Sainz called for a tough stance to offset the potential gains of breaching the cost cap.

He added: “Every team and every driver, we just want clarity first of all, and second, fairness.
“I just hope that if there's a penalty, [it] is relatively important to take the appetite away from overspending 2 or 3 million to waste on next year's car."
In defence of his team, Red Bull’s Sergio Perez reckoned the strong views from those linked to rivals Mercedes and Ferrari was part of a plan to “take performance out of you”.

He said: “We believe that we are in line… Obviously, I will leave it down to my team to solve that together with the FIA, but at the end of the day, there's always teams that want to take performance out of you, especially when you are winning.
“It's part of the sport and this has been forever, and I just think that it will be.
“It's just a normal situation and everything.
“At the end of the day, facts will come out and people will see and understand the situation.”

@Dave you must have an opinion on this ;) ;)

tl;dr
 

caroper

Executive Member
Joined
Aug 5, 2003
Messages
8,170
https://www.pitpass.com/73881/Red-Bull-drivers-defend-team-over-breach

Max Verstappen and Sergio Perez have leapt to their team's defence as budget cap breach row builds.

Though the issue has dominated the last two race weekends, it was only after the Japanese Grand Prix, at which Verstappen secured his title, that the FIA officially confirmed that Red Bull had exceeded the cap.

Speaking for the first time since the FIA's statement, and at a time Red Bull is pondering whether to accept an ‘Accepted Breach Agreement' offered by the sport's governing body, Verstappen hit out at those seeking a harsh punishment for the Austrian outfit.

"Nothing has been confirmed yet," he told reporters at the Circuit of the Americas, "but as a team we know what we have to deal with and we are very clear with what we think is correct.
 

caroper

Executive Member
Joined
Aug 5, 2003
Messages
8,170
Red Bull is pondering whether to accept an ‘Accepted Breach Agreement' offered by the sport's governing body
Lift Carpet, Agree to hide evidence in return for suitable back hander, Sweep Under.
Announce that all is fine, no foul no penalty, lets go racing.
Masi would love it ;)
 
Last edited:

FlashSA

Executive Member
Joined
Oct 19, 2007
Messages
9,633
Watched the Italian Jesus bin it and then got told to stop snoring during FP1...

Watching FP2 now this morning...

2 very ordinary sessions.
 

caroper

Executive Member
Joined
Aug 5, 2003
Messages
8,170
https://www.pitpass.com/73880/Has-the-FIA-offered-Red-Bull-a-deal-over-budget-breach

Numerous sources claim that the FIA has offered Red Bull an ‘Accepted Breach Agreement’ in a bid to settle budget cap breach row.

However, if such an agreement has been offered it is likely to provoke even more of a storm.

It is understood that the FIA made the offer to Red Bull days after the Japanese Grand Prix at which Max Verstappen secured his second title and following which the sport’s governing body finally revealed the results of its analysis of the teams’ financial submissions.

Under the terms of the agreement it is understood that Red Bull would have to accept whatever punishment the sport's governing body decides is appropriate, and without recourse to appeal, however, crucially it rules out such things as points deduction or a reduction of the team's budget cap in future seasons.


Quite how rival teams - or indeed fans - will view this remains to be seen, however, with the most likely punishment likely to be a fine, it would be widely seen as a soft option when one considers that when announcing the cap Ross Brawn had warned of dire consequences for those that exceeded it, including exclusion from the championship.

Red Bull is understood to be considering the offer of the agreement and is said to be issuing a statement on Friday, while Saturday sees team boss, Christian Horner at the official FIA press conference alongside Zak Brown, who earlier this week insisted that exceeding the cap is cheating.

Should the Austrian team reject the agreement, the matter would be put in the hands of the Cost Cap Adjudication Panel which would investigate the 'minor' breach which is understood to be around $2m.
 

Hamster

Resident Rodent
Joined
Aug 22, 2006
Messages
42,928
It's a circus

Not really. The media and cognitively challenged people with a platform have blown this up and are trying to make a thing out of something that's nothing.

The FIA never made a big thing of this and now they are potentially handing out penalties that are "anticlimactic" and people shout "conspiracy" and "favoritism".

Drama hunters.
 

caroper

Executive Member
Joined
Aug 5, 2003
Messages
8,170
That's what happens when the rules of the system isn't defined.

This whole fiasco could have been avoided if the cap was made simpler and the penalties for transgressions were properly laid out. The detail behind inclusions, exclusions and general vagueness need to be firmed up big time
It would be easier to just drop the cost cap rules entirely.
It will never have any teeth if the first test case is swept under the carpet like that.
 

Speedster

Honorary Master
Joined
May 2, 2006
Messages
21,685
It would be easier to just drop the cost cap rules entirely.
It will never have any teeth if the first test case is swept under the carpet like that.
Amazing how your assumption is that of "sweeping under the carpet". Obviously it's completely impossible that RB actually didn't breach the cap when their permissible exclusions are accounted for.
 

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
Joined
Apr 25, 2010
Messages
43,333
It would be easier to just drop the cost cap rules entirely.
It will never have any teeth if the first test case is swept under the carpet like that.
Or just define the punishment upfront.

This clown show is unnecessary and unprofessional...
 

Speedster

Honorary Master
Joined
May 2, 2006
Messages
21,685
Or just define the punishment upfront.

This clown show is unnecessary and unprofessional...
That would certainly help. In this case the bigger question is the calculation of the costs themselves, not the penalty. RB are convinced they're within the cap, FIA says no.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top