F1 2026

MotoGP ran on long due to extended red flags. Pretty sure the F1 would have been on another DStv channel...
I tried a couple of channels but couldn't find it - became tedious on DSTV Stream so just stuck with F1TV and had DSTV 215 in a small PIP - if they did have it on an overflow channel, they definitely did not update their schedules OR put a banner on 215 directing their customers to the revised channel Nr.

And Canal+ was supposed to "fix" DSTV......
 
RUTH versus Jolyon and Jolyon was correct, even though Ruth normally nails it.
Not sure I agree, I thought Ruth's argument made more sense...

I think she was right about the problem with a baseline A/B test in inconsistent conditions... Track temperatures swinging drastically between day and night sessions, isolating whether a performance delta is caused by the floor/wing package versus tire thermal degradation or track evolution has to be nearly impossible.

Sprint weekends give you only one practice before the competitive sessions. With different baseline setups you split engineering resources down the middle, forcing engineers to spend practice time analyzing two datasets rather than fine-tuning mechanical balance, ride heights, and tire preparation for a single optimal configuration.

Palmer wasn't all wrong IMO, but I thought he misjudged the track sensitivity... the driver's need to solve problems immediately rather than write off weekends. These street / night circuits with high track evolution are notoriously unforgiving for setup. Trying to use an unpredictable circuit as a test bench more likely leads to compromising a competitive weekend for for noisy data.

Ruth's idea of using the reopened Parc Fermé window after the Sprint to align both cars based on early indication is good middle ground. Running an unproven split right out of FP1 on a high variance circuit would probably cause more confusion than clarity.
 
I tried a couple of channels but couldn't find it - became tedious on DSTV Stream so just stuck with F1TV and had DSTV 215 in a small PIP - if they did have it on an overflow channel, they definitely did not update their schedules OR put a banner on 215 directing their customers to the revised channel Nr.

And Canal+ was supposed to "fix" DSTV......

This would hardly surprise me...
 
Not sure I agree, I thought Ruth's argument made more sense...


Ruth's idea of using the reopened Parc Fermé window after the Sprint to align both cars based on early indication is good middle ground. Running an unproven split right out of FP1 on a high variance circuit would probably cause more confusion than clarity.
The issue I had with her point referenced in your last paragraph is that if you run both cars on spec A for FP1 and the Sprint but it flops, you don't have another FP to test Spec B after the Sprint race - it would be straight into Qualy and Parc Ferme. Risky for both cars, no?
 
The issue I had with her point referenced in your last paragraph is that if you run both cars on spec A for FP1 and the Sprint but it flops, you don't have another FP to test Spec B after the Sprint race - it would be straight into Qualy and Parc Ferme. Risky for both cars, no?
Yeah, true, but at least it's hinged on a gamble rather than genuinely wasting engineering time IMO. So far it looks like there's nothing between them.
 
Image
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X