Fax machines are a massive security problem

Newsfeed

MyBroadband Newsfeed
Staff member
Fax machines are a massive security problem

Researchers at Check Point have disclosed a security vulnerability in HP OfficeJet multi-function printers, Wired reported.

The security flaw allows an attacker to compromise affected printers with a specially-crafted fax and potentially gain access to a target network.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Not even banks require faxes anymore, who still uses them?

Lupus

Honorary Master
lawyers still love them

Some do, the ones I dealt with when selling and buying my place weren't so bad. But I do have flashbacks to a few years ago when buying my car come to think about it.

FaSMaN

Expert Member
This relies on the Ethernal blue exploit which has been patched, there are probably other SMB exploits that can be used but a lot of them are patched, so the hacker still needs a secondary exploit to get into the computers on the network, ideally in larger corporates Printers are on their own subnet and Vlaned so they are fairly secure.

PsyWulf

Honorary Master
Not even banks require faxes anymore, who still uses them?

I believe,from even as recent as few months ago,certain financial transactions cannot be confirmed over email,it's either Fax or Onsite

ActivateD

Expert Member
This relies on the Ethernal blue exploit which has been patched, there are probably other SMB exploits that can be used but a lot of them are patched, so the hacker still needs a secondary exploit to get into the computers on the network, ideally in larger corporates Printers are on their own subnet and Vlaned so they are fairly secure.

They used Eternal Blue as an example. I do not use Eternal Blue as my exploit anymore as there are far better and safer attack vectors in organisations. SMB Relay and kerberoasting = GG organisation.