Fax using ADSL

Fanie

New Member
Joined
Oct 4, 2005
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
What is the best method recommended for sending and receiving fax messages via my Telkom ADSL line.

I am currently using Winfax Pro 10.0 from Symantec but it does not support ADSL faxing.

Your advice will be most appreciated.:rolleyes:
 
Fanie, ADSL is broadband Internet i.e not dial-up. To use that software and make your PC a fax machine, you need a modem, either 56K or ISDN.

You will then plug that modem into the spare port (as the guys above have said) and use that number as your fax number. You can still use the ADSL for internet and email.
 
nic777 said:
..., you need a modem, either 56K or ISDN.

You will then plug that modem into the spare port (as the guys above have said) and use that number as your fax number. You can still use the ADSL for internet and email.

Small correction - not ISDN. Currently in SA a ISDN modem can't work on a DSL line.
 
Aha, bekdik - someone with a solution.

bekdik said:
@Fanie:

have a look at http://www.getafax.co.za - they offer free fax2email service.

Unless I fundamentally misunderstand the basic difference between ADSL and a normal fax machine.

Why should I use a fax machine to dial another number (a connection for which I pay additionally) if I could use my permanently on ADSL connection?

Am I missing something? ;)
 
Fanie said:
Unless I fundamentally misunderstand the basic difference between ADSL and a normal fax machine.

Why should I use a fax machine to dial another number (a connection for which I pay additionally) if I could use my permanently on ADSL connection?

Am I missing something? ;)

Fax is direct connect service between 2 fax clients(machines), so one fax has to talk to another fax. The fax machine uses a dialup line as its connection medium, so that's why you need to dial.

In the solution I offered, getafax provides a listening dialup line and the person sending the fax to you provides the calling dialup line. The phone number used by getafax is allocated to your email address, so after they have received the tiff file from their fax answering machine, they are able to email it to you.

In the case of sending a fax, something connecting to the POTS needs the number to which the fax must be sent, so it might as well be your line, as a third party is going to charge a premium.

Of course if the person to whom you want to send a fax is contactable via email and if you have a scanner you could simply scan the doc to be faxed and email it. If the doc is electronic then create a pdf of it (hint pdf995) and email that.
 
Last edited:
A fax is still a voice call.

A fax effectively piggybacks data on the back of a voice call (in much the same way a modem does) It converts data into an analogue 'sound' which is sent as if it were a voice call. On the other end the recieving fax machine converts the sound back into a digital format which represents the image being sent.

ADSL is pure digital from start to end, there is no converting from analogue to digital and back again.
 
its very simple, i use winfax pro as well

just connect the cord running from the filter to the modem if you have a modem with two port for the line & phone

if you dont have two ports in the modem you then you need a splitter

next configure you modem setup in winfax pro

p.m me if u need instructions on the configuration
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X