Fiber and fax machine

jphegers

I recently bought a new 3 in 1 fax machine and would like to know if i change over to fibre does my fax machine become useless and redundant or will it still be able to function on a fiber line?

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
You mean change from a Telkom analogue (phone line) to a VOIP solution?

Why not rather use fax-to-email ?

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Ja, we just killed the old copper fax line and moved to a Fax to email solution.
Fax is a dying technology used by Dinosaurs.

jphegers

You mean change from a Telkom analogue (phone line) to a VOIP solution?

Why not rather use fax-to-email ?
I am 70 pluss and technically handicapped,using the fax to email sallusion do i then no longer require the fax machine and discard or sell it, if people will still buy fax machines.

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
I am 70 pluss and technically handicapped,using the fax to email sallusion do i then no longer require the fax machine and discard or sell it, if people will still buy fax machines.
If you have a 3-in-1 as you mentioned, selling the fax machine seperately will be a challenge.

What do you actually need a fax machine for?

Smokey888

You can Fax 2 email, meaning someone can send a fax to your email address, and you can mail 2 fax, meaning you can email a attachment to another fax machine...

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
You can buy adapters that make normal fax machines work with VOIP lines over fibre.
But they are expensive solutions to prop up a dying technology.

cavedog

Honorary Master
As far as I know it is very possible.

You would need an ATA gateway that supports T38 and a VOIP provider that support T38 as far as I know. Faxing over VOIP is possible.

jphegers

If you have a 3-in-1 as you mentioned, selling the fax machine seperately will be a challenge.

What do you actually need a fax machine for?
The wife does court transcriptions that she need to fax back after completion,but will google to see how to do do fax to email.
Is fax to email a app one downloads?

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
The wife does court transcriptions that she need to fax back after completion,but will google to see how to do do fax to email.
Can she not scan and email the transcripts rather? If you need to fax another place/person it is always key to understand what other options they may have?

Fax-to-email is always a free number you register for, but only free for recieving faxes as far as I know.

jphegers

So can one not send faxes?or is there an app you have purchase to enable sending faxes.

Smokey888

You need to google fax to email. there is providers offering the service. you will be charged per fax you send via email

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
The fax to email solutions also charge premium rates.

Eventually she will have to move to scanning and emailing, so might as well do it now.

thehuman

Expert Member
I think he need 2 services
1 scan to (pc/email or usb)
And
2 email to fax ( email documents to address with fax number in subject)
Or better ask company if you can email them the documents in pdf form

krieg

Are you sure about this? The transcriptions are sent usually in Word format to an office where it's printed and binded and couriered to courts and clients. I'm sure it's something else that can be scanned and sent over email.

signates

Expert Member
I use Mweb's email to fax service. It's prepaid but have not used it in more than a year. Probably still have about R50 in my prepaid account.

Basically you need to convert the fax number to an email address like 12345#27218765432@fax.mweb.co.za

There's a how to guide on their website.

How do I create and send a new FAX?
Within Message Centre, create a new email (see the "How to create an email" section).
A new tab will open up with blank email message.
In the 'To' field:
· Enter your 5 digit faxmail PIN in the 'To' field in the format of: [PIN]+ # eg. 12345#
· Add the number for the fax to be sent to in the'To' field in the format of: [Country Code]+[Area Code]+[Fax Number] eg. 12345#27216837667
· Add fax.mweb.co.za' to the end of the fax number eg. 12345#27216837667@fax.mweb.co.za

ld13

Honorary Master
@jphegers

Fax is dying and has been for a while now. The old fax system can be broken up into two parts:
1 - A sender sending a fax.
2 - A receiver receiving a fax.

Service 1 can be replaced with a email to fax service (charged for). Here you send an email to XXXXXX@service and they send the fax on your behalf.
Service 2 can be replaced with a fax to email service (normally free). Here the service provider issue you with a 086 number that routes incoming fax to your email account.

How does she receive the stuff that needs to be transcribed or worked on?

I assume that she normally faxed her work back? I can almost guarantee you that the receiver was using a replacement service similar to (2) above and that you would (bar going the VOIP to fax route) have to opt for a replacement service that falls into category (1).

If this is the case, why do you guys not use the 3-in-1 to email the scanned work directly to the person that needs to receive it?

jphegers

@jphegers

Fax is dying and has been for a while now. The old fax system can be broken up into two parts:
1 - A sender sending a fax.
2 - A receiver receiving a fax.

Service 1 can be replaced with a email to fax service (charged for). Here you send an email to XXXXXX@service and they send the fax on your behalf.
Service 2 can be replaced with a fax to email service (normally free). Here the service provider issue you with a 086 number that routes incoming fax to your email account.

How does she receive the stuff that needs to be transcribed or worked on?

I assume that she normally faxed her work back? I can almost guarantee you that the receiver was using a replacement service similar to (2) above and that you would (bar going the VOIP to fax route) have to opt for a replacement service that falls into category (1).

If this is the case, why do you guys not use the 3-in-1 to email the scanned work directly to the person that needs to receive it?
She receives her work via a dictaphoneapp using earphones earphones.

ld13

Honorary Master
She receives her work via a dictaphoneapp using earphones earphones.
Then she sends it to person X. Does the number you send it to begin like this 021/011 (landline) or 086 (type 2 replacement service)?