Fibre contractors cause havoc

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
Fibre contractors cause havoc

Fibre contractors are under fire for poor planning which leads to electricity cables being cut, damaging municipal infrastructure, and leaving building sites in a mess.

Residents in many neighbourhoods across Durban are complaining about their pavements being dug up and water and electricity being interrupted by fibre contractors.

Maxwell Mthembu, head of electricity at eThekwini Municipality, said fibre contractors pose a serious challenge for the city.

He said they welcome fibre rollouts in the city but complained about contractors not paying enough attention to electricity and water infrastructure when they trench.

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
Totally relate to this article
Last year the pavement outside looked like a warzone after they left
And they managed to break into the waterpipes TWICE in a week

Fibre contractors are a bloody nuisance :mad:

AntennaMan

Expert Member
To be fair, I've seen some of the plans these guys have to work with, with nothing where it is supposed to be.

And when a large pipe burst on my sidewalk, I explicitly showed Joburg Water where the fibre backhaul was, but they didn't care. They just brought there digger in and destroyed everything in the process.

eg2505

Honorary Master
problem I have is them digging up the street multiple times to install 1 cable,

but I get why, need to generate those jobs for the Comrades.

overseas, they have 1 dude operating this to install Fibre, and its done in 1 day.
no messing about 100 times with 20 dodgy looking guys looking to break into your property.

1623073745985.png

Everyones-a-Wally

Honorary Master
Totally relate to this article
Last year the pavement outside looked like a warzone after they left
And they managed to break into the waterpipes TWICE in a week

Fibre contractors are a bloody nuisance :mad:
Came here to say the same.
The Vuma guys who did my place tried to mount a box on my precast wall. He attempted to drill through the precast (concrete) slat which of course just left a chunk out of it, then he went under the wall but wanted to run the conduit on top of the existing drain which was right next to the start of my lawn and would have been stood on. I told him no - trench it in. They made a mess. Then other fibre contractors cut our main line cutting in to DFA at the junction up the road... etc. etc.
Also, they seemed to hire Zimbabwean labourers (Vumatel) which I find interesting... and the foreman had a big whinge at him on the phone for being slow when his team left him there alone while they had to race around town to source more cable. He (foreman) was a proper knob. I could hear him ranting at the top of his voice at this poor guy. I would have quit then and there.

Last edited:

Bobbin

Executive Member
Came here to say the same.
The Vuma guys who did my place tried to mount a box on my precast wall. He attempted to drill through the precast (concrete) slat which of course just left a chunk out of it, then he went under the wall but wanted to run the conduit on top of the existing drain which was right next to the start of my lawn and would have been stood on. I told him no - trench it in. They made a mess. Then other fibre contractors cut our main line cutting in to DFA at the junction up the road... etc. etc.

Your username lives up to your experience :p

karnuffel

Expert Member
Vuma was OK in our area but SADV was super pathetic. They drilled holes into my precast wall, realized its wrong, drilled some more holes and eventually put the box my neighbors wall.

r00igev@@r

Executive Member
To be fair when a Durbs bloke hears about fibre he wants to smoke it!

Johand

Expert Member
I think it depends on the subcontracts the FNO uses. Corline did the Vumatel rollout in our area and in our complex and they have been super careful and reinstated things to better than before. They also used horizonal drilling a lot, or rerouting the fibre when they realise they won't be able to reinstate certain features. But I know that these companies pay incentives by the meter -- which I guess can make some teams go totally cowbow to hit their goals.

Reactions: ccj

Everyones-a-Wally

Honorary Master
Epic, my photo taken nearly a decade ago, makes a come back as the article header :)
Haha, just noticed it's bowls rd now. Which business are you? You sold me that LTE antenna some time ago and I recall you mentioned then, I've just forgotten.

FlashSA

Executive Member
I was going to ask if you went out and smacked them for digging up your pavement :D
I was just super hoping it would mean affordable fibre for us...

But, nearly 10yrs on, only expensive business fibre is available at our address (they were laying Neotel fibre). Fortunately the bang for buck "Telkom LTE Uncapped" sims still afford us superb office connectivity.