Fibrestream (Pty) Ltd - Shocking service

Moni_G93

In July 2018, i signed up for a 5meg (1:1) uncapped wireless contract with Fibrestream (Pty) Ltd.

I paid almost R4500 in cash for installation of the devices needed for internet access.

Fast forwarding to December 2018, I waited almost 4 months for installation of the devices.

At first I was told by Fibrestream that my installation is very complex due to my area not being covered by their network, despite on their webpage my area is clearly covered. The technician was not able to pick up the signal even after 2 visits to my property.

On the 3rd visit, Fibrestream owner Wesley Swart came to my property and promised connection as soon as possible. He offered a solution of connecting me through another property nearby.

Weeks went by and again, nothing was done until I gave another solution of connecting me through a neighbour. Mr Swart then upgraded our package from a 5meg to a 10 meg free of charge as a sign of good faith.

During this time I tried on numerous occasions to cancel my contract with Fibrestream. My cancellation emails went ignored and I was told I am not able to cancel my contract. As a consumer I am entitled to cancel the contract especially considering I was not receiving the service I had signed up for.

In October, I was finally connected. However the technician did not complete the installation properly, I was forced to call Fibrestream to come out and help me. I was then charged a callout fee of round R700 when the problem was faulty installation.

Once the internet was working, the internet speeds were very very slow. During the day the upload would not reach 2mbps, and in the evening, the upload speeds would reach 80kbps. I was told that this is normal and that the line seems good from their end. The internet was barely usable at these speeds. On the most recent invoice, I realize that the service I had been receiving is actually a 1:15 contention and not the 1:1 i had signed up for.

I was overseas for a month (mid October to mid November) and I did not pay for one month usage, to which I was threatened that I was going to be blacklisted. My service has been suspended.

I continue to ask to cancel my contract and I still continue to be ignored. I have various emails proving this. I have also been very badly treated by the staff and Mr Swart.

The service is shocking, and various consumers seem to be complaining of similar conduct.

Asha'man X

Expert Member
There is a reason WISPS are the option of last resort to get connected. As I'm come to learn with my own experience of using a WISP for our school, getting your internet delivered over long haul WiFi is not a recipe for long term happiness. As the area around you gets more and more polluted with radio noise, speeds and performance plummet and there is nothing the WISP can do except suggest using licensed radio spectrum.

My suggestion to you is to unfortunately get a lawyer involved. It really seems to be the only way to get things done sometimes. As long as you have all the proof and evidence (especially in writing, writing is always the best) there's a good chance that the lawyer can get things cancelled quickly. These guys don't want to end up in the Small Claims Court.

Swa

Honorary Master
First I read Firestream then I saw no it's Fibrestream. Sounds like one of those "fibre over the air" providers so on that principle alone I'd say dodgy as hell and people should stay away.

Nice profile pic btw.

Dear Moni G

Fibrestream has always gone above and beyond for there clients, especially when the said client plead to "make a plan" for the connection when it it almost impossible, your link was in that bracket. The technicians had to build a link with 3 hops for you in order to provide connectivity for your home. Planning for something like that is not an easy task.

We are able to supply your home with ease as you are fully aware, however that is not the problem. On completion of the initial installation you called our support centre and advised your link was not working, on our findings you yourself had unplugged your equipment to move it to another part of your home. Our team had to reinstall the equipment thus incurring a call out fee which you agreed to.

Based on the feedback on your support tickets and screenshots you were gaming on international servers in the evening and as you were advised this will simulated a high ping. Another exercise our support staff were trying to do with you is run a speedtest from a computer or laptop while cabled directly to your dish. Running a speedtest from your Playstation connecting via wireless will not be accurate. Jobcards and speedtests from the vairus technicans at your home will indicate a full 10-15Mb. Very accurate and monitoring tool can also indicate excesive use on your line.

The last and most important item is you went on holiday abroad and failed to pay your account, this resulted in a suspension. On your return you were advised of this and yet still no payment. your father called the director and pleaded to have the amount discounted to which he agreed and still no payment.

As the accounts staff, the sales staff, the support staff and the cancellation staff have clearly advised - The account is in arrears. Please contact cancellations@fibrestream.co.za in order to resolve any confusion.

We are happy to share the results should you wish

Last edited:
In July 2018, i signed up for a 5meg (1:1) uncapped wireless contract with Fibrestream (Pty) Ltd.

I paid almost R4500 in cash for installation of the devices needed for internet access.

Fast forwarding to December 2018, I waited almost 4 months for installation of the devices.

At first I was told by Fibrestream that my installation is very complex due to my area not being covered by their network, despite on their webpage my area is clearly covered. The technician was not able to pick up the signal even after 2 visits to my property.

On the 3rd visit, Fibrestream owner Wesley Swart came to my property and promised connection as soon as possible. He offered a solution of connecting me through another property nearby.

Weeks went by and again, nothing was done until I gave another solution of connecting me through a neighbour. Mr Swart then upgraded our package from a 5meg to a 10 meg free of charge as a sign of good faith.

During this time I tried on numerous occasions to cancel my contract with Fibrestream. My cancellation emails went ignored and I was told I am not able to cancel my contract. As a consumer I am entitled to cancel the contract especially considering I was not receiving the service I had signed up for.

In October, I was finally connected. However the technician did not complete the installation properly, I was forced to call Fibrestream to come out and help me. I was then charged a callout fee of round R700 when the problem was faulty installation.

Once the internet was working, the internet speeds were very very slow. During the day the upload would not reach 2mbps, and in the evening, the upload speeds would reach 80kbps. I was told that this is normal and that the line seems good from their end. The internet was barely usable at these speeds. On the most recent invoice, I realize that the service I had been receiving is actually a 1:15 contention and not the 1:1 i had signed up for.

I was overseas for a month (mid October to mid November) and I did not pay for one month usage, to which I was threatened that I was going to be blacklisted. My service has been suspended.

I continue to ask to cancel my contract and I still continue to be ignored. I have various emails proving this. I have also been very badly treated by the staff and Mr Swart.

The service is shocking, and various consumers seem to be complaining of similar conduct.
Dear Moni G

Fibrestream has always gone above and beyond for there clients, especially when the said client plead to "make a plan" for the connection when it it almost impossible, your link was in that bracket. The technicians had to build a link with 3 hops for you in order to provide connectivity for your home. Planning for something like that is not an easy task.

We are able to supply your home with ease as you are fully aware, however that is not the problem. On completion of the initial installation you called our support centre and advised your link was not working, on our findings you yourself had unplugged your equipment to move it to another part of your home. Our team had to reinstall the equipment thus incurring a call out fee which you agreed to.

Based on the feedback on your support tickets and screenshots you were gaming on international servers in the evening and as you were advised this will simulated a high ping. Another exercise our support staff were trying to do with you is run a speedtest from a computer or laptop while cabled directly to your dish. Running a speedtest from your Playstation connecting via wireless will not be accurate. Jobcards and speedtests from the vairus technicans at your home will indicate a full 10-15Mb. Very accurate and monitoring tool can also indicate excesive use on your line.

The last and most important item is you went on holiday abroad and failed to pay your account, this resulted in a suspension. On your return you were advised of this and yet still no payment. your father called the director and pleaded to have the amount discounted to which he agreed and still no payment.

As the accounts staff, the sales staff, the support staff and the cancellation staff have clearly advised - The account is in arrears. Please contact cancellations@fibrestream.co.za in order to resolve any confusion.

We are happy to share the results should you wish

Last edited:

rwenzori

Honorary Master
I was overseas for a month (mid October to mid November) and I did not pay for one month usage,
Things tend to work better when you pay your bills.

ld13

Honorary Master
The line was a 5Mb 1:10 at R599 ex
Thought as much. @Moni_G93 I do not see any mention of the 5mbps product being offered at a 1:1 contention?

@Fibrestream
The last time I had a look at the VAT Act, Section 65 stated that any price advertised/quoted by a VAT vendor must include VAT and the vendor must state in the advertisement that the price includes VAT, unless the total amount of VAT in terms of s7(1)(a), the price excluding tax and the price inclusive of tax are advertised. It goes on to state that if the VAT vendor decides to advertise the VAT, the price exclusive of VAT and the price inclusive of VAT separately, both prices must be advertised with equal prominence and impact.

Thought as much. @Moni_G93 I do not see any mention of the 5mbps product being offered at a 1:1 contention?

@Fibrestream
The last time I had a look at the VAT Act, Section 65 stated that any price advertised/quoted by a VAT vendor must include VAT and the vendor must state in the advertisement that the price includes VAT, unless the total amount of VAT in terms of s7(1)(a), the price excluding tax and the price inclusive of tax are advertised. It goes on to state that if the VAT vendor decides to advertise the VAT, the price exclusive of VAT and the price inclusive of VAT separately, both prices must be advertised with equal prominence and impact.
Thank you for the information @ld13, I will pass that onto the marketing team

Nightwing

@Fibrestream

@ ID13
I believe Mini G 100% as the very first quote they send you to sign states 1:1 on it, I have mine that I shall gladly share with you. IMHO they do not follow the most ethic business practices and also do not abide by the CPA. As such I would caution against them.

irBosOtter

Expert Member
If you signed up for a 1:1 and you can prove it... you can cancel if they only providing 1:15. That's not what you signed up for. Take them to court. Easy as that. They sound quite pathetic.

Nightwing

Its that last bit, taking them to court. That is expensive... Please have a look at their google reviews and their replies, all the good reviews have been left by staff, Wes swart is the Md of the company, Kelly Muir is in accounts and so it continues. Again per my above, I advise Caution

Watch out people. Fibrestream is not what you think it is. Listen to the telephone conversation that I had with them.

#fibrestream #fibrestreamSA. @fibrestreamsa

ld13

Honorary Master
I am extremely confused by this statement. :unsure:
She were gaming on (random?) international game servers (and on a console over wifi I assume) so the reported ping by the game will appear higher than what one would expect it to be for normal day to day stuff or compared to a local speedtest on a cabled connection.

Totempole

Expert Member
She were gaming on (random?) international game servers (and on a console over wifi I assume) so the reported ping by the game will appear higher than what one would expect it to be for normal day to day stuff or compared to a local speedtest on a cabled connection.
Ohhhh! I are understanding now. ;)

R Farrell

Who ever reads this, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE stay well away from FibreStream.

Cancelled my line in November, emails to prove it. My emails and requests were ignored and invoices continued to be sent even though I never had an active line.

My line was Month to Month, not contact was signed for a fixed term but yet still being charged? I paid for the installation and the hardware belongs to me but yet I still need to pay for a service I don't have....

Called accounts again to find out why and was told that I need to contact cancellations, which I did again. Finally contacted Mr. Wesley S, who laughed at me and said I don't have enough money to sue them and good luck.

Please read the comments, look at hello Peter and gauge for yourself...
Just don't do it...

Anyway, I'm off to small claims court.

Slaught3r

Expert Member
Who ever reads this, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE stay well away from FibreStream.

Cancelled my line in November, emails to prove it. My emails and requests were ignored and invoices continued to be sent even though I never had an active line.

My line was Month to Month, not contact was signed for a fixed term but yet still being charged? I paid for the installation and the hardware belongs to me but yet I still need to pay for a service I don't have....

Called accounts again to find out why and was told that I need to contact cancellations, which I did again. Finally contacted Mr. Wesley S, who laughed at me and said I don't have enough money to sue them and good luck.

Please read the comments, look at hello Peter and gauge for yourself...
Just don't do it...

Anyway, I'm off to small claims court.
So sorry to hear. Good luck with your claim, please keep us updated. I will check in regularly - power to you Mr. Farrell.