Fiesta - Reliability vs Corolla - High Risk

superskully

Expert Member
Hi All
I am interested in 2 cars:
Fiesta Powershift 1.0T - I believe here though that the Dual Clutch gearbox has given many issues. Any drivers here that have experienced issues with the Powershift.
Toyota Corolla 1.6 Prestige Auto - No fan of Toyota but it seems they offer better value for money than even the Koreans. Currently have a special for 237k. My wife though is scared she will get Hijacked - how risky is this vehicle vs. a Mercedes BMW.

FYI: Koreans have lost the plot, too expensive. No French. Cant even find cheap German cars more than 3 years old for less than 250k.

Last edited:

Necropolis

Executive Member
I've been driving a 1.6 Fiesta for the past 5 years - haven't had any mechanical issue with it.

c3n0byt3

I'm still skeptical about the 1.0T ecoboost, but I guess these days you own a car for less than 5 years.
Also heard about the gearbox issues.
However I've also heard about the Toyota auto issues. Not sure which model specifically.

But ultimately you're comparing a small light hatch with a large heavy sedan.

Brawler

Honorary Master
I am also skeptical about high sprung little engines. When the engine came out one of their engineers was saying on video that the engine is good for 200 000 KM which I thought isn't the most encouraging thing to hear, surely 200k+ is the norm? Not that I'd ever keep a car for that long but it will affect resale. That coupled with a gearbox with known issues doesnt sound like a safe bet to me. I mean isnt the whole reason we buy a new car is for mechanical piece of mind?

I'm no fan of the Toyoto dishwashers either but the price is good.

Surely there is something else? I agree regarding the Koreans.

What about the Mazda 3? Great vehicle. R253k with aircon, power windows, usb, 6 airbags, ABS, EBD, Remote central locking, keyless start, fog lamps, 6 speakers, bluetooth, 7 inch infotainment, 16 inch wheels, leather seats, power mirrors, etc.

2014-mazda3-interior.jpg
Mazda3_Hatchback_2013_action_01-820x420.jpg
2014-Mazda-3-price.jpg

Forgot to mention, Matt Watson did a thorough comparison between the new Mazda 3 and the BMW 1 series and Audi A3. Mazda came out tops by a mile..

Last edited:

PostmanPot

Honorary Master
R250k and you want to buy a Fiesta or Corolla? :wtf:

Rather get a 5 year old Audi, BMW or Merc (Or Honda or Lexus or Subaru).

superskully

Expert Member
I've been driving a 1.6 Fiesta for the past 5 years - haven't had any mechanical issue with it.
Thanks, heard that Ford have improved rapidly in their build quality.

I'm still skeptical about the 1.0T ecoboost, but I guess these days you own a car for less than 5 years.
Also heard about the gearbox issues.
However I've also heard about the Toyota auto issues. Not sure which model specifically.

But ultimately you're comparing a small light hatch with a large heavy sedan.

Thanks, also wary of those exact Ford issues. First time have heard of the Toyota gearbox issue.
Also, not comparing the two, i have basically come down to those two cars in the categories i am looking at. A fast hatch for me or sedan for the wife.

superskully

Expert Member
R250k and you want to buy a Fiesta or Corolla? :wtf:

Rather get a 5 year old Audi, BMW or Merc (Or Honda or Lexus or Subaru).

Have a look at the price of cars (new or used), its shocking.
Have a BMW while Merc was recently written off.
Thing is newer cars are more safe, and safety is my first concern.
Even the Corolla has better ratings than the previous model Merc.

PostmanPot

Honorary Master
Have a look at the price of cars (new or used), its shocking.
Have a BMW while Merc was recently written off.
Thing is newer cars are more safe, and safety is my first concern.
Even the Corolla has better ratings than the previous model Merc.

Look at them all the time, prices are fantastic and usually at least half of the new price 5 years ago.

Want safety? You can get a very nice Q5 or X3 for R250k. Sure there are MLs too.

Cr4ig

Honorary Master
I'm getting a fiesta ecoboost powershift to test drive tonight. Any known issues on this? The above thread has very little info.

Nithan15

Expert Member
I have one of those for the past 3 years never had an mechanical issues at all with it. Runs very well and very economical. I have the Titanuim package so its does come fully loaded

Slootvreter

Honorary Master
I am also skeptical about high sprung little engines. When the engine came out one of their engineers was saying on video that the engine is good for 200 000 KM which I thought isn't the most encouraging thing to hear, surely 200k+ is the norm? Not that I'd ever keep a car for that long but it will affect resale. That coupled with a gearbox with known issues doesnt sound like a safe bet to me. I mean isnt the whole reason we buy a new car is for mechanical piece of mind?

I'm no fan of the Toyoto dishwashers either but the price is good.

Surely there is something else? I agree regarding the Koreans.

What about the Mazda 3? Great vehicle. R253k with aircon, power windows, usb, 6 airbags, ABS, EBD, Remote central locking, keyless start, fog lamps, 6 speakers, bluetooth, 7 inch infotainment, 16 inch wheels, leather seats, power mirrors, etc.

View attachment 300630
View attachment 300632
View attachment 300634

Forgot to mention, Matt Watson did a thorough comparison between the new Mazda 3 and the BMW 1 series and Audi A3. Mazda came out tops by a mile..

Is the model in the photos the one that goes for R253k?

Cr4ig

Honorary Master
I have one of those for the past 3 years never had an mechanical issues at all with it. Runs very well and very economical. I have the Titanuim package so its does come fully loaded

What's your average fuel consumption like?

Cr4ig

Honorary Master
Latest Opel Astra or i20?

Don't like opels, might consider the i20 if it was for me. Car is for my wife. She likes the Fiesta, and it relatively cheap. Would have prefer a Polo, but to little car, for to much money.

Brawler

Honorary Master
Is the model in the photos the one that goes for R253k?

Updated: Yes. That was the 1.6 with all the cool features. The entry level one was 228k. The Top spec 2l was R299k. It is now R415k...

Last edited:

Cr4ig

Honorary Master

My wife ended up not liking the car. I liked it a lot though. Very good power delivery, especially for such a small engine. Gearbox changed smoothly in normal driving, but was very harsh when driven hard. Especially when compared to VW's DSG.

Cr4ig

Honorary Master
LOL!

It's all over the place because they went cheap and nasty with a dry clutch system on the little cars.

Would you mind to give a source for that. Would like to read up on the difference between this and the DSG.