Fighting fraud electronically

Cea$erMan

Technology is also the key to comitting new and better fraud, if you are that way inclined. It's nothing more than a tool.

.Froot.

Executive Member
I agree on that one. For those who reckon that harddrives are either completely secure or completely insecure, take this into consideration. The average "secure delete" does not work. If you do it a million times maybe, sure. Then it'll be pretty close to impossible to retrieve meaningful data.
Give me two to three days and I can render the data on a hard drive completely useless with only a computer to do it with. A simple method to do this is by a consistent writing of random characters to a hard drive and then formatting, repartitioning the drive into two or three partitions and then doing it again. The key is to no put the partitions in the same space (ie different sizes each time). This really makes it hard and almost impossible to retrieve anything.

Email servers is one thing I honestly hate. "Delete" on gmail does not delete anything. It just removes the record of that email from your email database. It is still kept on google's server. They have the space to keep them all as well as the "technology" to read your emails.

Tns

Executive Member
if you delete something just the record marker is delete the data is still there, even if you write of the same spot there is still bits pointing to that there was something there and that might be enough of a clue. Encrypt and secure delete and not fly by night programs.