Final digital terrestrial TV regulations are here

Bern

Expert Member
Hmm, going standard definition seems a bit short sighted since most content is now moving towards various levels of HD. I realise this means more channels, but it really seems like we are not getting that much for this whole process. How much spectrum do the satellite guys have versus DTT - just thinking of the channel allocations here.

I am now seeing the argument for using satellite rather than DTT a bit clearer for national television broadcast. I still think there are a few risks going that route, but I do see a few more points towards this idea now.

alphabyte

This may be a stupid question, but I have been wondering why they don't go to satellite broadcast instead of terrestrial. If one considers the cost to the broadcaster (the large number of broadcast towers required throughout the country vs. one satellite) as well as the cost to the consumer (the cost of the STB vs. the cost of a dish and decoder), then is satellite not the cheaper option?
Maybe someone can clarify this for me.

LPCPT

This may be a stupid question, but I have been wondering why they don't go to satellite broadcast instead of terrestrial. If one considers the cost to the broadcaster (the large number of broadcast towers required throughout the country vs. one satellite) as well as the cost to the consumer (the cost of the STB vs. the cost of a dish and decoder), then is satellite not the cheaper option?
This is South Africa.
As Trevor Noah says " The world goes that way and we go the other way"

bruce_the_loon

This is South Africa.
As Trevor Noah says " The world goes that way and we go the other way"

For whatever reason, the world is going our way. The countries replacing analog terrestrial are putting in digital terrestrial.

Bern

Expert Member

The main issues as I understand are:
The government doesn't have a satellite and would be dependent on other countries for service
Satellite dishes and decoders are needed (more complex than STBs, esp. dish part)
Satellite can be more susceptible to interference from solar and storms.
Spectrum and broadcast cannot be easily limited to our borders.

Then what is not clear is if the DTT network investment will also include an underpinning national broadband network.

But on the cost, coverage and speed of implementation side it does seem a bit strange.