FireFox smartphone platform backed by big telco players

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
interesting. first i am hearing of this. if they can get a foothold with low priced phones running the platform then they might have a chance. not much competition there from the other platforms...appart from android.

Elimentals

Honorary Master
interesting. first i am hearing of this. if they can get a foothold with low priced phones running the platform then they might have a chance. not much competition there from the other platforms...appart from android.
Dude I been talking about boot 2 gecko for ages... how can this be day 1st? :)

Mr.CookieMonster

Expert Member
Isn't it a bit too late to be developing new Operating Systems for mobile phones?

Nokia and Symbian, who have been in the market for a long time are struggling.

Elimentals

Honorary Master
Isn't it a bit too late to be developing new Operating Systems for mobile phones?

Nokia and Symbian, who have been in the market for a long time are struggling.
Not if you see B2G, essentially its Linux kernel with FF running on top of it. The work done in Android (Drivers and all) directly benefits it. The other bonus is that its so lightweight that you can essentially dualboot this and another platform. Like B2G + Android and so on.

My dream would be if all phones came out with B2G and you had to install your OS of choice after it, be it Windows Phone or Android or whatever.

[video=youtube;Erd_oEdHc58]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Erd_oEdHc58[/video]

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Dude I been talking about boot 2 gecko for ages... how can this be day 1st? :)
i most likely thought it is some thing u rooting geeks flash to ure androids or something

btw...that stab wound from this morning rquired 18 stitches and missed my lung by 1cm. thank u for that. :-(

/wink

Elimentals

Honorary Master
i most likely thought it is some thing u rooting geeks flash to ure androids or something

btw...that stab wound from this morning rquired 18 stitches and missed my lung by 1cm. thank u for that. :-(

/wink
HAHAHAHAHA

At least you suffered no brain damage.

McT

The Humble Scot!
Is it not too late to enter this market? Unless they come with a substantially better offer, they're going to struggle to make it.

That said, if Google were to become exclusive to, say, Motorola, then there would be a rush for alternatives.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
tnx for that vid mental-man. it is rather impressive i must say. specially that boot up and down times. perhaps they have something here.

Elimentals

Honorary Master
Is it not too late to enter this market? Unless they come with a substantially better offer, they're going to struggle to make it.

That said, if Google were to become exclusive to, say, Motorola, then there would be a rush for alternatives.
If you read the article you will see that unlike other OS's this one does not need Apps written for it, can run the loads of html5 based ones just fine. So all those apps in Chrome's app store have little to no problem. The Cut the rope example in the clip I posted above was actually written for Microsoft to demo HTML5 in Metro... yep you guessed it, no issues.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
if they can make it sync with google for contacts calendar etc to make the switch easier and get whatsapp running on it with push support...well...that could tempt me. push support for whatsapp and gmail a must!!! dunno how they gonna do that as i am guessing google wont let them use their c2dm server.

McT

The Humble Scot!
If you read the article you will see that unlike other OS's this one does not need Apps written for it, can run the loads of html5 based ones just fine. So all those apps in Chrome's app store have little to no problem. The Cut the rope example in the clip I posted above was actually written for Microsoft to demo HTML5 in Metro... yep you guessed it, no issues.
I consider myself educated :eek:

Thank you, esteemed sire.

Mr.CookieMonster

Expert Member
What Im concerned about is Apple and Android have 1 000 000+ Apps and music on their stores. Yes, this new OS will be nice, but if it doesnt have the apps, then it just wont work. Doesnt the N9 have some Intel Operating System?

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
. Doesnt the N9 have some Intel Operating System?
it runs a os based on linux called meamo i think. heard it is actually very nice...but be that as it may...it is a dead os regardless. dont even have a official whatsapp. shame.

iirc, meamo was a colaboration between intel and nokia.