First sports car

Chun_li

What do you guys think is the best sports car under a 100k? A friend of mine wants to buy his first sports car and doesn't really have an idea what to get. He likes the MX5 NA (1st gen) but can't seem to find one and he doesn't want anything "common" like a newer MX5 so that's out. SLK according to him is a posers car that old men drive and the TT just isn't unique enough.

What else is there that's good? He needs it to have parts available (basic parts so he can maintain it) and pretty simple to work on.

Like I mentioned his budget is 100k max but I'm sure he would like to save some money and use it towards new tires or something.

A few cars I've spotted are:
BMW Z3
Pros=good looks, okay dynamics, pretty practical for a convertible (good size boot), smooth 6 cylinder engine, mechanically reliable apparently, has modern feature you would need
Cons= the 4 cylinders are crap and the 6 cylinders are more heavy on fuel but not by that much, known electrical issues, not as dynamically gifted as some other convertibles
4a196bdf36e066f287f6ef6f9c46bb04.jpg

Toyota MR-2
Pros= amazing dynamics, reliable, mechanical parts are often available because the engine was used in other Toyota's, not many around
Cons= the boot is really small, so small that you can't really use it to do a week's grocery shopping
a2230e6a65a6b90499ec4cc79874a831.jpg

MG TF
Pros= good to look at, okay to drive, decent performance, it's an MG! The engine was used in alot of British cars so to find basic parts shouldn't be impossible, MG TF's can be had in really good condition for low prices, has a 4 star safety rating back then, quite practical
Cons= known to have electrical gremlins and head gasket issues, poor build quality
26da3533b8c3fe5028efeb65850a37f4.jpg

MG Midget/MG B
Pros= it's a classic!! Parts aren't too difficult to find since the midget uses the series A engine if I'm not mistaken which is also used in the Nissan 1400 , basic car that's easy to work on
Cons= it's an old MG it will break down, no mod cons like on the TF
6a31e1f668e9a510642c958e5384c33c.jpg
cbcd7ba594f410cd05af2fe1a3881b5a.jpg
Let me know what you guys think!!

nazmo

Expert Member
I cant help but think that except for the Toyota. many of them could be expensive to maintain and probably wont run like they should at the price point.

*Edit

And now that you said daily. i dont think a sub R100k daily is recommended. if it was a weekend car, sure. maybe Im wrong. but you will struggle just getting a regular daily for under R100k that isnt old

Chun_li

I cant help but think that except for the Toyota. many of them could be expensive to maintain and probably wont run like they should at the price point.

*Edit

And now that you said daily. i dont think a sub R100k daily is recommended. if it was a weekend car, sure. maybe Im wrong. but you will struggle just getting a regular daily for under R100k that isnt old
He seems to like the TF. I think it's because it's the cheapest with the lowest mileage out of the lot

nazmo

Expert Member
He seems to like the TF. I think it's because it's the cheapest with the lowest mileage out of the lot

Its a very tough ask considering his pricepoint. with the exception of japanese cars. I would suggest he visit groups/forums to see what the owners say.

Does he have much experience with cars at all? Sometimes a dynamic fun, small hatch can be super rewarding and probably more practical, reliable.

Chun_li

He has a Isuzu double cab that he lets his girlfriend use so he wants something else as a second car for him to use, something more dynamic than a bakkie and more special than a hatch.

redspark

Expert Member
That MG Midget/MG B is sweet :love:

Sadly, I have nothing for you in terms of advice :( I know very little about cars

quovadis

Expert Member
Advice on any convertible and especially the Z3 take it to a car wash as part of the test drive and note any water ingress.

Chun_li

smc

You can possibly get a high mileage 350z for that money. Reliable and mostly cheap to run, but be VERY sure of the maintenance history otherwise it will bite you.

Zukat

Expert Member
You mention easy to find parts and then list MG, so in that case let me add RX8 to the list.

Chun_li

You mention easy to find parts and then list MG, so in that case let me add RX8 to the list.
MG's aren't that difficult to find parts for since the engines and running gear was often used in a whole host of British cars.
As for the rX8 it's amazing but the Rotary engine was only used for the rx8

Chun_li

You can possibly get a high mileage 350z for that money. Reliable and mostly cheap to run, but be VERY sure of the maintenance history otherwise it will bite you.
He saw a few of those but most were automatic and he isn't a fan of autos

thechamp

Honorary Master
MG's aren't that difficult to find parts for since the engines and running gear was often used in a whole host of British cars.
As for the rX8 it's amazing but the Rotary engine was only used for the rx8
Which other cars share the engine?