FNB launching multiple new features for banking app

Polymathic

Honorary Master
Please keep your marketing department away from your development department, Selfie Banking what a dumb idea

saor

Honorary Master
Please keep your marketing department away from your development department, Selfie Banking what a dumb idea
:wtf:

It seems like a great idea.
Maybe even one of the better things they've come up with recently...

The app sends biometric data from the image to the Department of Home Affairs and checks the information against the user’s records to verify their identity.

All verification using the Switch with a Selfie system is paperless, removing the need for proof of address and ID document scans.
So why is that dumb?

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Indeed. This ties in with home affairs new biometric capabilities announced today

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
It is actually quite an awesome feature..

Just the marketing around it might be suspect.... but then it would appeal to a specific target market, and that market is probably not all that happy with paperwork etc...

dunkyd

Expert Member
Because it didn't come from Capitec.

Plebs are typically shortsighted and have no clue about the benefits that home affairs integration brings with it...
Sunbird just having tea, he'll spot your comment shortly..........

namzsteve

Expert Member
Think of new ways to prevent double charging my accounts, I hate that ****.
Stop it!

Last edited:

eg2505

Honorary Master
Indeed. This ties in with home affairs new biometric capabilities announced today
not sure how this might work, as my ID photo is from when I was quite young,

but do agree, FNB is always innovating, always pushing the limits on what is actually possible,

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Lol Capitec had this for 10 years now taking your selfie and fingerprint when you open an account. This is just FNB playing catchup again.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Lol Capitec had this for 10 years now taking your selfie and fingerprint when you open an account. This is just FNB playing catchup again.
They did?

I don't remember them doing a selfie in the app 10 years ago? Or any biometrics in the app....

supersunbird

Honorary Master
I like this part:

The app will also include a My Credit Status tool which intelligently monitors the customer’s credit status, showing them how they are currently ranked and how they can improve their credit score.

Polymathic

Honorary Master
:wtf:

It seems like a great idea.
Maybe even one of the better things they've come up with recently...

So why is that dumb?
Also seems a unsecure as hell just like the fingerprint feature on the FNB app.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
After my recent selfie experience with needing to change my 2FA on Luno I couldn't be more abhorred by the concept.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Also seems a unsecure as hell just like the fingerprint feature on the FNB app.
Fingerprint security is up to your OS to safeguard...not the App in question.

Get a lesser **** phone?

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
As have every bank - at the branch.

Who's allowed you to do it from your phone app before?

Polymathic

Honorary Master
Fingerprint security is up to your OS to safeguard...not the App in question.

Get a lesser **** phone?
If you enable the fingerprint unlock on the app you have immediate access to your entire banking profile and considering that you also receive 2 factor authentication on the same device in theory somebody can literally hold you up and empty your accounts in a matter of minutes