FOTA to launch rival championship.

Shake&Bake

Party Liaison
Joined
Jan 19, 2007
Messages
22,254
http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?id=46159

The Formula One Teams’ Association has thrown the sport into total chaos by announcing its eight members will set up their own breakaway series at the end of the season.

Following weeks of talks with the FIA aimed at breaking the deadlock over the bitter row over the 2010 budget cap and governance of the sport, FOTA issued a statement on Thursday night – on behalf of Ferrari, McLaren, BMW, Renault, Brawn, Toyota and both Red Bull teams – saying they had grown tired of the governing body’s demands and had been left with “no alternative” than to start preparing for a new championship.

The cataclysmic announcement comes after all eight of its members met for 11th hour talks at Renault's Enstone factory on Thursday evening to decide whether or not they would enter unconditional entries for the 2010 grid ahead of Friday's deadline imposed by FIA president Max Mosley.


In its bombshell statement FOTA accused both the governing body and F1's commerical supremo Bernie Ecclestone for trying to divide the group, adding that while it has strived to strike a peace it was no longer willing to "compromise on the fundamental values of the sport".


The FOTA statement said: "The FIA and the commercial rights holder have campaigned to divide FOTA.


"The wishes of the majority of the teams are ignored. Furthermore, tens of millions of dollars have been withheld from many teams by the commercial rights holder, going back as far as 2006. Despite this and the uncompromising environment, FOTA has genuinely sought compromise.


“It has become clear however, that the teams cannot continue to compromise on the fundamental values of the sport and have declined to alter their original conditional entries to the 2010 World Championship.

“These teams therefore have no alternative other than to commence the preparation for a new Championship which reflects the values of its participants and partners."


FOTA says its new championship will include all of Formula 1's existing household stars and major figures, adding that "transparent governance" would be a key feature.


“This series will have transparent governance, one set of regulations, encourage more entrants and listen to the wishes of the fans, including offering lower prices for spectators worldwide, partners and other important stakeholders," the statement added.

“The major drivers, stars, brands, sponsors, promoters and companies historically associated with the highest level of motorsport will all feature in this new series.”


More follows...

The gauntlet has been thrown and we're looking at some exciting prospects!
 

Shake&Bake

Party Liaison
Joined
Jan 19, 2007
Messages
22,254
F1 teams drop breakaway bombshell

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8108488.stm

Formula One has been thrown into chaos after the Formula One Teams Association (Fota) carried out its threat to set up a rival championship in 2010.

Eight of F1's major teams have been frustrated by deadlocked talks with world motorsport boss Max Mosley over his controversial budget cap proposals.

"The teams have declined to alter their original conditional entries to the 2010 F1 Championship," said the teams.

"We've no alternative than to commence preparation for a new championship."

Mosley was insistent on introducing a voluntary £40m budget cap for teams to curtail a "financial arms race" in F1.

But Fota refused to agree to his conditions, prompting championship leader Brawn GP, Ferrari, McLaren, Renault, Toyota, BMW Sauber, Red Bull Racing and Toro Rosso to take their drastic action.

They announced their decision following a four-hour meeting on Thursday night ahead of this weekend's British Grand Prix at Silverstone.

"Since the formation of Fota last September the teams have worked together and sought to engage the FIA and commercial rights holder (Bernie Ecclestone), to develop and improve the sport," read a Fota statement.

"Unprecedented worldwide financial turmoil has inevitably placed great challenges before the F1 community.

"Fota is proud that it has achieved the most substantial measures to reduce costs in the history of our sport.

"In particular, the manufacturer teams have provided assistance to the independent teams, a number of which would probably not be in the sport today without the Fota initiatives.

"The Fota teams have further agreed upon a substantial voluntary cost reduction that provides a sustainable model for the future.

"Following these efforts, all the teams have confirmed to the FIA and the commercial rights holder that they are willing to commit until the end of 2012.

The teams cannot continue to compromise on the fundamental values of the sport and have declined to alter their original conditional entries to the 2010 world championship

Fota statement
"The FIA and the commercial rights holder have campaigned to divide Fota.

"The wishes of the majority of the teams are ignored. Furthermore, tens of millions of dollars have been withheld from many teams by the commercial rights holder, going back as far as 2006.

"Despite this, and the uncompromising environment, Fota has genuinely sought compromise.

"It has become clear, however, the teams cannot continue to compromise on the fundamental values of the sport and have declined to alter their original conditional entries to the 2010 world championship."

Fota added that its championship would put F1 fans first and boast the best drivers and sponsors.

"This series will have transparent governance, one set of regulations, encourage more entrants and listen to the wishes of the fans, including offering lower prices for spectators worldwide, partners and other important stakeholders," added the statement.

"The major drivers, stars, brands, sponsors, promoters and companies historically associated with the highest level of motorsport will all feature in this new series."

Former champions Williams and Force India have already committed unconditionally to the FIA's world championship along with three new entrants - Campos, US F1 and Manor.

The FIA has said there are other would-be newcomers waiting to take the places of those teams that refused to enter unconditionally, although one, Lola, has already withdrawn its application.

The stage is also set for a legal battle, with the FIA saying champions Ferrari and the two Red Bull teams have existing contracts which commit them to the existing championship.

The FIA had set a Friday deadline for five teams - Brawn, BMW-Sauber, McLaren, Renault and Toyota - to convert their provisional entries into unconditional ones or risk being excluded.

There was no immediate comment from the FIA or Ecclestone.
 

RVFmal

Expert Member
Joined
Oct 27, 2004
Messages
2,169
I truly hope that they do actually follow through with this.

The time of Max and Bernie needs to come to an end and that time is now.
 

Gadget Man

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 26, 2006
Messages
717
It's just idle threats .. creating sensationalism. To break away with a rival series in a year is no easy task. You need mega sponsors and they won't be able to use the tracks that F1 already use ... once a year is enough for the track owners. I'm sure tracks are not in short supply, but there's massive legwork that needs to be done. Looks like F1 is deteriorating. Supposed to be the pinnacle of motorsport and auto development. If they constrain the sport, then what's the point. Might as well be racing Tazz's around a track.
 

RVFmal

Expert Member
Joined
Oct 27, 2004
Messages
2,169
It's just idle threats .. creating sensationalism. To break away with a rival series in a year is no easy task. You need mega sponsors and they won't be able to use the tracks that F1 already use ... once a year is enough for the track owners. I'm sure tracks are not in short supply, but there's massive legwork that needs to be done. Looks like F1 is deteriorating. Supposed to be the pinnacle of motorsport and auto development. If they constrain the sport, then what's the point. Might as well be racing Tazz's around a track.

I would not call these idle threats. This has been in the offing for quite some time and I am sure that FOTA would not issue a statement like this if they were not serious about it. It seems however that Max agrees with you and his arrogance in the latest statement by the FIA really shines through

FIA HotAir

If you had read their (FOTA) statement clearly youy would have seen that they are taking their sponsors with them. There is no way they would have made a statement like this if it had not already been discussed with their existing sponsors who are the major sponsors of F1.

Yes, logistically it is a huge task to set up another series in competition to F1, but not impossible. You are dealing with people who have been in the game for many years and understand intrinsically what needs to be done.

Whilst the FIA may have existing tracks covered, there are many tracks dropped from the calendar taht I am sure would be more than happy to facilitate a breakaway series and could this eventually lead to an Africa (read here - South African) GP?

Max, Bernie and the FIA have for far too long strangled this sport and the chickens are finally coming home to roost. I for one hope that they do break-away as I would support them wholeheartedly.
 

undesign

Executive Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2007
Messages
9,024
I would not call these idle threats. This has been in the offing for quite some time and I am sure that FOTA would not issue a statement like this if they were not serious about it. It seems however that Max agrees with you and his arrogance in the latest statement by the FIA really shines through

FIA HotAir

If you had read their (FOTA) statement clearly youy would have seen that they are taking their sponsors with them. There is no way they would have made a statement like this if it had not already been discussed with their existing sponsors who are the major sponsors of F1.

Yes, logistically it is a huge task to set up another series in competition to F1, but not impossible. You are dealing with people who have been in the game for many years and understand intrinsically what needs to be done.

Whilst the FIA may have existing tracks covered, there are many tracks dropped from the calendar taht I am sure would be more than happy to facilitate a breakaway series and could this eventually lead to an Africa (read here - South African) GP?

Max, Bernie and the FIA have for far too long strangled this sport and the chickens are finally coming home to roost. I for one hope that they do break-away as I would support them wholeheartedly.

+1

Max may have over-played his hand here. The stakes are high and FOTA have gone all-in - will the FIA call their bluff, is it a bluff? I still reckon they will sort something out.

All this is putting me in the mood for a game texas hold'em tonight ... :D

PS poor prozzies in London tonight, Max will probably want to vent his frustration a bit... :D
 

brilliantt

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 9, 2007
Messages
405
The teams and the fans want one thing. On the other hand, the two wise elders, in their esteemed wisdom want another. For the good of the sport. I say viva FOTA!
 

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Joined
Oct 31, 2007
Messages
44,051
Porsche were said to be looking at a bid to join F1 in its new revamped form. The makers of the world's favourite sportscar and the world's most pointless 4x4 were quick to distance themselves from the European Car Manufacturer's Association condemnation of the FIA last weekend. So it looks like the suck-ups have backed the wrong horse.
That's VAG for you :p
 

Gekco

Expert Member
Joined
Jun 3, 2008
Messages
1,524
I have a name for the new FOTA series.
'Formula Ultimate'
acronym (Esp to Moseley & co..)
'FU'
 

milomak

Honorary Master
Joined
May 23, 2007
Messages
12,571
you've got the major teams in there so sponsorship is going to be the least of their concerns.
 

Browser

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 9, 2007
Messages
967
I've been loving this news and glad that they're finally splitting from that idiot Berney and his nazi sex crazed sidekick.
 
Top