Free Soweto Wi-Fi network

quovadis

Expert Member
I was always under the impression that the license exemption for WUG's didn't include offering internet access across the network? Maybe someone can chime in on the matter.

The_MAC

Executive Member
These initiatives always fall flat eventually, as noble as they are, who is going to pay for all the infrastructure and backhaul in the long term? What is the business case behind it? If it is just to say Soweto has a few free hotspots, then fine, but this will in no way connect the masses.

Nothing is for free, only foreign owned shop stock..

A

arr0w

I have 1 question, what is the point of this project? This money should be pumped into schools, provide schools in soweto with computers. There should only be free internet at schools and libraries.

How many black people in poverty fully comprehend the English language?

99.9% of the internet is english and any educational material will certainly be in english.

The kids in soweto arent taught in english so few people would actually benefit.

I see this service being used for facebook,twitter, instagram etc and hardly being used for educational purposes.

It would have been better if it was rolled out to all schools& libraries , with computers and in a control environment so it isnt abused.

kianm

Honorary Master
Whenever i see Free i also see the word abuse. Unless measures are in place ,but 15Meg is :sick: though