Free XP Virtual machine

SkyWolf

In case you are ever in need of one for emergencies, you can download the XP mode from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=8002 and open it with your fav archiver tool (instead of launching it). I use 7zip. Next, double click the /sources/xpm 'file' which appears to be an archive and extract the VirtualXPVHD file then rename it with a .vhd extension.
Now install virtual box and create a new virtual box machine of type Windows XP (32-bit) and from 500Mb to 3.25 Gb RAM (this is a 32-bit install and it won't use more). Next, attach the .vhd image file from the previous step as the primary HDD and make it the first boot item. You may want to increase video RAM to 128 Mb as well.
If your mouse doesn't work out the box, use tab, arrows, space and enter to navigate to the install screens, using Ctrl-R to reboot at the final (black) screen. On reboot cancel any auto updates or hardware installation screens then click 'Devices' - 'Install guest additions cd' and reboot.

You'll now have a 30 day installation useful for whatever the heck you needed it for to start with (hopefully not a production system LMAO).
In my case I had to access an ancient system that refused to operate in a modern browser and OS. IE 0.1 FTW LOL.
Hi there, so I have a question which is a bit off topic of this thread but along the lines of older versions of Windows. So apologies in advance

Sorry if it sounds silly but I wanted to ask, if an image of an older version of Windows be loaded on 10 & runs, will the drivers be able to update older digital equipment that requires updating work?

Reason I ask is because when visiting the manufacturers website, they say it only able to update with older versions of Windows.

Thanks in advance

Eric

Honorary Master
Hi there, so I have a question which is a bit off topic of this thread but along the lines of older versions of Windows. So apologies in advance

Sorry if it sounds silly but I wanted to ask, if an image of an older version of Windows be loaded on 10 & runs, will the drivers be able to update older digital equipment that requires updating work?

Reason I ask is because when visiting the manufacturers website, they say it only able to update with older versions of Windows.

Thanks in advance
I'm struggling to understand the question. Could you rephrase?

GreGorGy

BULLSFAN
I'm struggling to understand the question. Could you rephrase?
I think, and I could be mistaken, he has older gear that might need a firmware upgrade. And said firmware upgrade only runs on older windoze versions. So his question, and I am guessing here, is:

Will a VM version of the older windoze, running on newer hardware, be able to upgrade the firmware on the older hardware?

I am not a power win user so I have no idea. I would, however, say that there can be no harm in trying.

Eric

Honorary Master

Thanks in advance
It could be tricky interfacing with external hardware but why not give it a go?

SkyWolf

I think, and I could be mistaken, he has older gear that might need a firmware upgrade. And said firmware upgrade only runs on older windoze versions. So his question, and I am guessing here, is:

Will a VM version of the older windoze, running on newer hardware, be able to upgrade the firmware on the older hardware?

I am not a power win user so I have no idea. I would, however, say that there can be no harm in trying.
It could be tricky interfacing with external hardware but why not give it a go?
Thanks to you both for responding

So firstly I'm not advanced in IT as I've been seeing in this thread lol.

As GreGorGy said, I have older equipment that needs updating & left it but after reading this thread got me curious to know if it can be done..

So effectively I wanted to find out from you guys knowledge if it's possible using a Windows 10 machine with new drivers, etc loaded with a virtual Windows xp image for updating the equipment? Or as you say, it would be tricky with the newer external hardware which also leads to consideration of compatibility of the older equipment once plugged in?

I'll have to read up on how to load an older Windows on 10 before I give it a try & also need to dig out the devices lol just wanted to do my homework first.