Freelance PHP Developer Based in Durban Wanted

Shelldon

Hi all. I'm not sure if I can post this here, I looked at the job forum but it seems that threads posted there are for permanent positions. If this is in the wrong place I'll happily delete/move it.

I'm looking for a freelance PHP developer that can help me develop a fairly large website. Basically I'm looking to build a website from scratch that allows users to log in, upload images, leave reviews, connect to Facebook, Twitter and Instagram as well as a few other things. I can handle the html and css, but PHP leaves me cold.

If you're a freelancer, or even just looking for some extra hours work, please drop me a pm with your details and hourly/day rate.

Thanks so much.

Shelldon

Hi all.

So not one reply. Is it because I'm posting in the wrong forum? Or is there a lack of freelance php developers out there?

I originally wanted a Durban based developer simply in order to sit face to face with someone, but now I'm happy to connect to any php developer country wide!

Could someone give me feedback, am I asking the wrong thing? Wrong forum?

Thanks again

Shelldon

I do have a budget, and not a big one. I'm more than happy to pay per hour or per day. I'm doing a lot of the coding myself to try save costs, but I'm not a developer, so basically I would be looking for someone to go through my code and correct/improve it where possible, and also help me develop the website so that the website is scalable.

retromodcoza

I do have a budget, and not a big one. I'm more than happy to pay per hour or per day. I'm doing a lot of the coding myself to try save costs, but I'm not a developer, so basically I would be looking for someone to go through my code and correct/improve it where possible, and also help me develop the website so that the website is scalable.

Shelldon

The reason you haven't received any responses is that you are coming in without an understanding of the market for developers. Let me help you with this one.

There are about 1.5 jobs for every developer in Durban at the moment. In other parts of the country , its worse.
What that means is that about at least 30% of companies who are looking for a competent developer will not find one - and these are guys who have the budget to pay market related salaries.

Example : me. Im in Durban , and my two main languages are PHP and C#. I would be perfectly positioned to do the work , but I'm busy off my mind at the moment and would only consider different contract work for about 65kCTC a month. That translates to about R420 an hour , on the hour , every hour.

And I'm on the inexpensive side. I'm not a rockstar developer.

Since you are newish to code , there will be the probability that I will have to rewrite a fair amount of what you've written. So the probability is that this is not going to be a touch-up and help job.

Usually , an individual cannot afford a developer to write software because the basic price for any website/app is above what they can afford. The probability that you can afford to complete what you have started is very low. Developers know this.

Your budget is the problem.

Necropolis

Executive Member
Hi all.

So not one reply. Is it because I'm posting in the wrong forum? Or is there a lack of freelance php developers out there?

I originally wanted a Durban based developer simply in order to sit face to face with someone, but now I'm happy to connect to any php developer country wide!

Could someone give me feedback, am I asking the wrong thing? Wrong forum?

Thanks again

There is a job section on the website - I'd suggest posting there.

Shelldon

Shelldon

The reason you haven't received any responses is that you are coming in without an understanding of the market for developers. Let me help you with this one.

There are about 1.5 jobs for every developer in Durban at the moment. In other parts of the country , its worse.
What that means is that about at least 30% of companies who are looking for a competent developer will not find one - and these are guys who have the budget to pay market related salaries.

Example : me. Im in Durban , and my two main languages are PHP and C#. I would be perfectly positioned to do the work , but I'm busy off my mind at the moment and would only consider different contract work for about 65kCTC a month. That translates to about R420 an hour , on the hour , every hour.

And I'm on the inexpensive side. I'm not a rockstar developer.

Since you are newish to code , there will be the probability that I will have to rewrite a fair amount of what you've written. So the probability is that this is not going to be a touch-up and help job.

Usually , an individual cannot afford a developer to write software because the basic price for any website/app is above what they can afford. The probability that you can afford to complete what you have started is very low. Developers know this.

Your budget is the problem.

Thanks for the feedback. I had no idea that developers were so low on the ground! You are right, budget is always a problem which is why I'm getting my hands dirty in spite of not being a coder at all.

I sort of imaged an hourly rate was going to be somewhere between R250 and R450. At the end of the day I'm definitely going to have to pay someone to check my code before launching so I will have to bite the bullet.

I do appreciate your feedback thanks.

Shelldon

There is a job section on the website - I'd suggest posting there.

Thanks Necropolis. I was initially going to but after reading through all the posts I thought it was really more for full time positions as opposed to freelance work. But I will post there as well. Thanks again.

DA-LION-619

Honorary Master
It's going to be hard to find PHP devs, any reason you're going with PHP?

DA-LION-619

Honorary Master
Are there so few PHP devs?
Well in Durban, I know my uni(DUT) has only one module on PHP and that isn't much to grasp. We primarily focused on .NET(Web forms and MVC).

To my knowledge UKZN doesn't do anything related to Web dev.

I also haven't seen any of the dev houses in Durban advertise any PHP positions

Last edited:

OCP

Expert Member
Well in Durban, I know my uni(DUT) has only one module on PHP and that isn't much to grasp. We primarily focused on. NET(Web forms and MVC).

To my knowledge UKZN doesn't do anything related to Web dev.

I also haven't seen any of the dev houses in Durban advertise any PHP positions m
Ta - have more questions but will start another thread.

Apologies to OP for slight hijack.

Shelldon

It's going to be hard to find PHP devs, any reason you're going with PHP?

it seemed the easiest to learn at the time. I have no backgound in coding at all. I learnt html5 and css3 from TheNewBoston and W3Schools, did a paid course through Treehouse as well.

retromodcoza

Reponse

Thanks for the feedback. I had no idea that developers were so low on the ground! You are right, budget is always a problem which is why I'm getting my hands dirty in spite of not being a coder at all.

I sort of imaged an hourly rate was going to be somewhere between R250 and R450. At the end of the day I'm definitely going to have to pay someone to check my code before launching so I will have to bite the bullet.

I do appreciate your feedback thanks.

Biting the bullet is the best way to go in your position. If you get periodic reviews of your code it will help. Balancing the project on 90% do-it-yourself and 10% developer help may make it affordable. However , your original post seemed to suggest that you wanted a developer to spend significant time (about 2 months given your description of your site) on your project as well as being an individual with a low budget. They would then assume it wasn't worth it and that you couldn't afford it.

I dont even mind meeting up with you for an hour or so to help you for free. PM me. Also , developers are really helpful if you post code up and ask for advice or help.

Good Luck

Last edited: