Freshphone - yay or nay?

ThatGuy_ZA

I hope to get fibre soon which means I get to say goodbye to Telkom (yay).

Has anyone used Freshphone? What is their service like? Their prices seem very good.

TIA.

justplain

Expert Member
I ported to Freshphone. took about 2 weeks total. The process was pretty painless.
I've Made and received some VoIP calls too.
The call quality is ok. similar to a cell call quality.
Pricing suits me fine as I dont need to make many calls.
Now the battle is getting my telkom line canceled...that process is on going.

Dark Agent

Expert Member
I use freshphone and moved a lot of people to it.
Price is great. I make about R30 worth of calls a month and the majority is free.
The quality is excellent(On Fibre latency is 7ms). Call quality was poor at first, after adjusting some settings the quality was excellent.

Molokai

Using it from New Zealand as a replacement for telfree which is now dead.

Works well and have no complaints.
Gigabit fibre.

aubreyk

I just switched. Took a week to port. Currently waiting for Fiber installation and using ADSL. No noise (like telkom) pretty easy top setup and very easy to use...

nicroets

Short answer: They are the best !

Long answer:
2 years ago, I gave up my landline and ported to Vox. The porting had a few hickups. At R25/month, the pricing was OK, considering they credited me 6c per minute for incoming calls. But the call quality was poor and their website is very unsophisticated.

When Axxess launched their product, I tried to port to them. But they wanted an "authorization" letter from Vox, which I don't think is necessary (reasonable).

Then someone on here recommended Fresh Phone. They said they need an invoice from Vox showing my 012 number, which sounds reasonable. The Vox invoices didn't have it, but I submitted emails from Vox showing that the 012 number is linked to my account. And Fresh Phone accepted them.

The Fresh Phone website is also very nice. For example it shows the latency. And it has examples for setting up popular routers.

Quintin89

Price is great. I make about R30 worth of calls a month and the majority is free.
The quality is excellent(On Fibre latency is 7ms). Call quality was poor at first, after adjusting some settings the quality was excellent.

What adjustments did you make? I have the GrandStream HT801 so that I can use my old cordless phones my latency is between 26 and 30ms (Excellent) this is what i see when logged in on freshphone. If I do a normal speed test then my latency is 2ms.

georgegolding

Euphoria Telecom
Company Rep
In my humble opinion...

Latency of 30ms means a round trip of a ping signal from your handset to the cloud servers was 30 thousandths of a second. One way only 15 thousandths of a second. In other - absolutely nothing to worry about at all.

Once you over 150ms there is a tiny chance you may pickup a slight delay when talking but it only really starts becoming a problem after 300ms as your reaching a third of second which may be irratating for fast speakers.

Your normal speedtest is to a major nternet Gateway. Your phone is from handset to acutal server which may entail a few more hops than to a major gateway. Hence the increase of 28 thousandths of a second for your phone.

Again totally normal, excellent actually and nothing to worry about.

Amberstorn

Hi Dark Agent,

As was asked earlier what were the settings you changed. Call quality is not bad at the moment but being a rank beginner with VOIP i would appreciate any help

Amberstorn

I'm using a voip device, my old analogue phones on a grandstream ATA, the thing has so many settings i'm basically lost

Amberstorn

Thanks for that, unfortunately he just goes into the details for getting connected, he doesn't touch on any of the multitude of additional options. I'm connected and everything seems to work, however i would like to see if any of the options would be useful to change

So freshphone uses the G729 codec, other than that there really is no need to change any other options I don't think. Is there anything specific you want to use the system for other than making and receiving calls on a landline phone?

Amberstorn

No, just as a regular phone, was looking more at any ways to optimise and get the best connection, although its not bad now

nicroets

Fresh phone supports more than the g729 codec. It also use the GSM codec or the ilbc codec.

Strangely, these last two codecs are disabled in csipsimple by default. To get this app to work with Fresh Phone, you need to enable them under settings.