Gas lanterns

stevenv

Expert Member
Thoughts from anyone using a gas lantern as a light source during load shedding? Had some battery operated lights but they died after I failed to keep them charged. Battery powered lights seem like too much effort to keep properly maintained and those using standard AA batteries are quite low power (I have lots of rechargeable AA batteries for various other devices) .

Chuckmyster

Executive Member

Sugarman

Making Sugar
i bought one of those from Pick n Pay and they are annoying.

You have to use the remote control to switch it on and off.
Flicking the light switch as normal does nothing as light stays on thinking it is load shedding.

That was my experience with the PnP one, havent tried the Builders version yet, hopefully better
I had them in the lounge, every time you used the tv remote they would switch on or off, any remote works on them

i bought one of those from Pick n Pay and they are annoying.

You have to use the remote control to switch it on and off.
Flicking the light switch as normal does nothing as light stays on thinking it is load shedding.

That was my experience with the PnP one, havent tried the Builders version yet, hopefully better
These don't even have a remote so don't know what you are talking about.

Use the light switch whether there's power or not and it goes on and off. I have them throughout the house.

Chuckmyster

Executive Member
Did you read the product page?

Eurolux G983 Rechargeable Battery LED Screw Lamp (5W)

Battery: 3.7V 1.5Ah sealed Li-ion battery
forgive my ignorance, i am not trying to argue with you, need help figuring out how they work.
If say you are watching tv at night and the light is on and there is load shedding they stay on? I get that.
But if you go switch the light off at light switch how does light know that you flicked a switch and that it isnt load shedding?
I am very confused here :unsure:
Do you perhaps have a manual on these puppys? Thanx

gamer16

Expert Member
These are quite good, they have a sachet thingy inside that you have to replace (lasts quite a few days of burning) the upside being it makes a lot of light for very little gas, cheap as well.

forgive my ignorance, i am not trying to argue with you, need help figuring out how they work.
If say you are watching tv at night and the light is on and there is load shedding they stay on? I get that.
But if you go switch the light off at light switch how does light know that you flicked a switch and that it isnt load shedding?
I am very confused here :unsure:
Do you perhaps have a manual on these puppys? Thanx
They detect changes in capacitance when the light switch is closed or open. Turn on and off when you use the light switch whether there is power or not.

Chuckmyster

Executive Member
They detect changes in capacitance when the light switch is closed or open. Turn on and off when you use the light switch whether there is power or not.
Awesome !!!! I must go buy one and put it to the test, very cheap alternative to what people are installing for load shedding. Thank you

isie

Executive Member