Gauteng's drinking water at risk

Nod

Executive Member
If posted before, please remove.

source: http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/Gautengs-drinking-water-at-risk-20101124
The acidic mine water that has been running into the Vaal River Barrage is salinising the whole system down from the Vaal Dam to such an extent that it will be unusable within four to five years, claims a government report.

Ways to make the pollution less concentrated by regularly letting water out of the Vaal Dam are now being considered, the report states.

According to experts, this could however lead to a big shortage of drinking water in Gauteng.

That is why the cost of purifying the acidic mine water is being investigated to supplement the water in the Barrage.
The report clearly states that South African taxpayers will have to carry the burden of the "profitable" gold mining industry of the past for the rest of their lives.

Taxpayers will initially have to pay R3.4m to build a plant to catch 120 years of acidic mine water on the Witwatersrand.

Flanders

Honorary Master
Give us an 'E'!
Give us an 'I'!
Give us an 'S'!
Give us an 'H'!

I reckon showerhead should be made to connect his own portable plumbing to this source of poison. Finally that shower would have some purpose. Then the rest of the useless scumbags should be made to swim a midmar mile through the stuff with ol' Sonjica heading the pack.

Mila

Honorary Master
LIES LIES LIES Evil reporters we have to squash them like bugs for reporting the truth!!

oh wait..

shogun

Expert Member
Taxpayers will initially have to pay R3.4m to build a plant to catch 120 years of acidic mine water on the Witwatersrand.

R29m for a youth event... R3.4m should be small change.

dlk001

Executive Member
The report clearly states that South African taxpayers will have to carry the burden of the "profitable" gold mining industry of the past for the rest of their lives.

We have known this since late 50's. Mine closure is a long-term liability. Most mining companies know it but very few will want to take responsibility.

JungleBoy

Executive Member
Give us an 'E'!
Give us an 'I'!
Give us an 'S'!
Give us an 'H'!

I reckon showerhead should be made to connect his own portable plumbing to this source of poison. Finally that shower would have some purpose. Then the rest of the useless scumbags should be made to swim a midmar mile through the stuff with ol' Sonjica heading the pack.

120 years of acidic mine water...and you want to blame a government that is not even 20 years old. Pathetic - always assuming the moral high ground when we all know who raped and pillaged our country for mineral resources since the 1800's

zulgin

Expert Member
120 years of acidic mine water...and you want to blame a government that is not even 20 years old. Pathetic - always assuming the moral high ground when we all know who raped and pillaged our country for mineral resources since the 1800's

but the government was warned of this in the 1990's already, instead of acting they did what they are good at, ignored the problem, - whos fault is that? This is the exact mentality that it runs out, whenever something goes wrong, ignore it or blame someone else :). I bet they weren't assuming the moral high ground when they lived of the taxation of these mines, or when they are going to nationalize them.

JungleBoy

Executive Member
but the government was warned of this in the 1990's already, instead of acting they did what they are good at, ignored the problem, - whos fault is that? This is the exact mentality that it runs out, whenever something goes wrong, ignore it or blame someone else :). I bet they weren't assuming the moral high ground when they lived of the taxation of these mines, or when they are going to nationalize them.

...read further up above your post and my post...:erm:

zulgin

Expert Member
...read further up above your post and my post...:erm:

Marius van Biljon, who has an MSc degree in geohydrology, started doing these calculations in the Western Witwatersrand in the mid-90s, at the behest of the old JCI. By 1998 he had computed that in October 2002 the first mine water would flow from the old Swartrif shaft near the Epol plant in Randfontein.

http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php/286355-Acid-drainage-fiasco-unavoidable

oops for the government? :) they could have minimized the damages if they acted earlier, but they choose to ignore it.

dlk001

Executive Member
but the government was warned of this in the 1990's already

In the early 1950s it was evident that, as mines closed in the Central Witwatersrand area, which stretches from Rand Leases to East Rand Proprietary Mines (E.R.P.M.), the burden of pumping would fall on the remaining mines. In 1956 it was realized that the problem would rest ultimately with the mining companies in the Rand Mines organization, and a detailed investigation into the situation was initiated.

the government was warned but the mining companies got away with it

Flanders

Honorary Master

I would normally tell you to go take a running, flying fsck-off at yourself for your comment but I know this forum doesn't condone that sort of thing so I'll refrain. Instead, I will say that I've read a thousand idiotic comments like this since this topic was raised some time ago. Would you rather have it like in Zim now where kids are picking diamonds out of the earth with their fingernails or should the mineral wealth simply be left in the ground?

It's a good thing SA's landmass is not somewhere like the Netherlands or you'd be saying "4.5 billion years worth of the ocean trying to consume our country and you expect a government that is not even 20 years old to deal with it? The bare-faced cheek!"

The country is going to face problems; some originating from times gone by and some new. The current government has no choice but to deal with problems. However, the government isn't dealing with it, are they? Of course part of this problem arises from the past and I accept that but my frustration is borne out of the fact that it seems that an active effort is currently being made to do nothing and that is unacceptable, wouldn't you say? Or should we wait 'til we've invented a time machine and then go back to the past to address this issue?

Bottom line: there's a serious problem. It can be addressed. It must be addressed. Address it!

dlk001

Executive Member
makes you wonder if the mining companies aren't behind nationalization because they know what is coming.

If I had a Gold Mine that had a remaining Life of Mine of between 5 - 10 yrs, I'd be happy to nationalize the huge environmental/mine closure debt. Another option would be to sell it to a BEE company who will not have the skills to quantify post mine closure debt....LOL...In fact, I could count all the pillars as reserves and sell it to a BEE company.

Last edited:

RustyPrincess

Expert Member
I've stopped drinking tap water (as have most of my family) because we suspect its giving us UTIs. Bottled water FTW!

Praeses

Expert Member
I've stopped drinking tap water (as have most of my family) because we suspect its giving us UTIs. Bottled water FTW!

I doubt you'd get a UTI from drinking water. Rather wash your hands more often and improve hygiene during sexual practices :p

Edit: Most bottled water are from municipal sources (i.e. tap water)
Bacteria also love to grow in the bottles...also with those filtration systems people have installed at their homes...I did a brief test on two of em and decided to rather drink tap water which didn't have anything growing in it! :)

Last edited:

dlk001

Executive Member
The current government has no choice but to deal with problems. However, the government isn't dealing with it, are they?

I was under the impression its the Government who have appointed the Council for Scientific and Industrial Research, the Water Research Commission, the Council for Geoscience, DWARF, Private Consultants too investigate an integrated solution for AMD. I thought its the government and industry who are looking into the construction of the new water treatment plant estimated to cost around two billion rand. Mining companies have pledged to contribute 500 million rand of their existing infrastructure into the water treatment plant.

Keeper

Honorary Master

Well done captain hindsight

why do some always ask "who is to blame years ago" instead of "what can we do NOW?"

Just do something about it, asking who didn't do something 120 years ago isn't going to help anyone. besides, 3.2 mil is nothing - i'm sure we spend more than that on gum, in a year.