Geely E2 Apex, pull the trigger or am I going mad?

The geely is definitely the better looking car. Features trumps looks in this case. At least my wife is already a looker 😉
Get a home charger after a few months (likely R10k-12k with a CoC; more if you haven't had your house CoC's since the early 2020's). Realistically, you can probably top-up charge over night with the 2.5-3kw portable. Looking around, it seems a lot of the locals get Alibaba stuff and hike the price, but I hope they have their importers and NRCS stuff in place.

I've looked at how I would do it at home (carport near house, but want to extend to dual carport) -- NFC tag activation is a must for me though because I know someone in the complex will freebie charge if they can, and treat it as their right.

Fortunately I don't drive much during the week (my big sofa is a weekend appliace), so my humble scooter is great unless it is rainy (no ABS and human factors), so still need a good reason to drop the money.
 
Get a home charger after a few months (likely R10k-12k with a CoC; more if you haven't had your house CoC's since the early 2020's). Realistically, you can probably top-up charge over night with the 2.5-3kw portable. Looking around, it seems a lot of the locals get Alibaba stuff and hike the price, but I hope they have their importers and NRCS stuff in place.

I've looked at how I would do it at home (carport near house, but want to extend to dual carport) -- NFC tag activation is a must for me though because I know someone in the complex will freebie charge if they can, and treat it as their right.

Fortunately I don't drive much during the week (my big sofa is a weekend appliace), so my humble scooter is great unless it is rainy (no ABS and human factors), so still need a good reason to drop the money.
According to claude

Bottom line: even at the lower 2.3kW charging rate and the more conservative real-world consumption estimate, your 3-day/5-hour solar charging plan covers your wife's weekly driving — but the margin shrinks to almost nothing in the worst case. At 3kW, you've got a comfortable buffer either way.
 
So this is now a Chery Q thread... Decided to pull the trigger today. Picking her up tomorrow.

Why the Q and not the Geely?

10 year battery warranty vs 8 on the Geely
5 years Vehicle warranty and service plan vs 4 from Geely
Bigger battery on Q
Automatic trunk and frunk on Q
Automatic parking (my wife will love this)
Feels roomier inside (longer wheelbase than geely)
Heated and aircon ventilated seats (geely does not have this)
Great drive
Wireless carplay and android auto built in (geely is wired)
Wireless charger (geely is wired)

Downsides.

It only comes with portable charger. For now this will be sufficient. Geely has both portable and wall charger included in price.
Geely has a better track record of sales for this model (I would argue that Chery has a better support structure in SA)
All in slightly more expensive than geely. R405k all in with registration and on the road vs 400k with Geely


Given the petrol price jump coming and that we will use this as run around over the weekends and spare the fortuner.... No brainer.
Enjoy!

Does the dealers stock the purple one used for marketing? i don't see them at dealers :(
 
Get a home charger after a few months (likely R10k-12k with a CoC; more if you haven't had your house CoC's since the early 2020's). Realistically, you can probably top-up charge over night with the 2.5-3kw portable. Looking around, it seems a lot of the locals get Alibaba stuff and hike the price, but I hope they have their importers and NRCS stuff in place.

I've looked at how I would do it at home (carport near house, but want to extend to dual carport) -- NFC tag activation is a must for me though because I know someone in the complex will freebie charge if they can, and treat it as their right.

Fortunately I don't drive much during the week (my big sofa is a weekend appliace), so my humble scooter is great unless it is rainy (no ABS and human factors), so still need a good reason to drop the money.
I paid 3k for install and charger was R2800 from temu. Has nfc tag also to start charging and you can change the charging speed.
 
According to claude

Bottom line: even at the lower 2.3kW charging rate and the more conservative real-world consumption estimate, your 3-day/5-hour solar charging plan covers your wife's weekly driving — but the margin shrinks to almost nothing in the worst case. At 3kW, you've got a comfortable buffer either way.

The type 2 charger is a 32A charger so it goes quite fast for AC. I wouldnt waste my time with solar unless you have a battery capacity greater than the car. Rather power your house on solar and charge the car off the grid at night. Less heat and stress on the house electricals
 
The type 2 charger is a 32A charger so it goes quite fast for AC. I wouldnt waste my time with solar unless you have a battery capacity greater than the car. Rather power your house on solar and charge the car off the grid at night. Less heat and stress on the house electricals
Have less capacity than the car but I never use it 100% during the day. Also 3- 4 charges per week at 5 hour sessions should be okay from a stress test
 
The type 2 charger is a 32A charger so it goes quite fast for AC. I wouldnt waste my time with solar unless you have a battery capacity greater than the car. Rather power your house on solar and charge the car off the grid at night. Less heat and stress on the house electricals
Depends on your situation. I mostly do remote work and only have two office days. So I just schedule charge the thing during the day when I am at home and take advantage on the free electricity that is literally just being curtailed.
 
Popped in a fair few threads like I usually do:

2026 Chery Q vs BYD Dolphin Surf vs Geely E2

With the Q, Chery is looking to shake up the local budget EV segment. We take a closer look at how the Q stacks up against a duo of value-oriented EV rivals, the Geely E2 and BYD Dolphin Surf.

Chery Q vs Geely E2 vs BYD Dolphin Surf: pricing

The most affordable of the trio, the Geely E2 – in Aspire spec – is priced from R339 900, with pricing for the two-strong range topping out at R389 900 for the flagship, Apex model. Equipped with the smaller-capacity battery, the BYD Dolphin Surf is priced from R341 900. The range-topping Dolphin Surf is priced from R395 900. Serving as the entry point to Chery Q ownership, the Comfort model is priced from R349 900, while the Elite derivative will set you back R389 900.

Chery Q vs Geely E2 vs BYD Dolphin Surf: warranty and service plans

The Q features the most comprehensive vehicle and battery warranties here. The Q is sold with Chery’s five-year/150 000 km vehicle warranty and a battery warranty spanning 10 years or 200 000 km. The E2 package includes a four-year/150 000 km vehicle warranty and an eight-year/200 000 km battery warranty. While the BYD’s battery warranty matches the Geely’s, it ships with a three-year/100 000 km vehicle warranty. The Q and E2 are sold with five-year/100 000 km service plans, while the Dolphin Surf features a three-year/60 000 km service plan.


Threesome.jpg

BYD.jpeg

Chery.jpeg

Geely.jpeg

Details.png
 
Popped in a fair few threads like I usually do:

2026 Chery Q vs BYD Dolphin Surf vs Geely E2

With the Q, Chery is looking to shake up the local budget EV segment. We take a closer look at how the Q stacks up against a duo of value-oriented EV rivals, the Geely E2 and BYD Dolphin Surf.

Chery Q vs Geely E2 vs BYD Dolphin Surf: pricing

The most affordable of the trio, the Geely E2 – in Aspire spec – is priced from R339 900, with pricing for the two-strong range topping out at R389 900 for the flagship, Apex model. Equipped with the smaller-capacity battery, the BYD Dolphin Surf is priced from R341 900. The range-topping Dolphin Surf is priced from R395 900. Serving as the entry point to Chery Q ownership, the Comfort model is priced from R349 900, while the Elite derivative will set you back R389 900.

Chery Q vs Geely E2 vs BYD Dolphin Surf: warranty and service plans

The Q features the most comprehensive vehicle and battery warranties here. The Q is sold with Chery’s five-year/150 000 km vehicle warranty and a battery warranty spanning 10 years or 200 000 km. The E2 package includes a four-year/150 000 km vehicle warranty and an eight-year/200 000 km battery warranty. While the BYD’s battery warranty matches the Geely’s, it ships with a three-year/100 000 km vehicle warranty. The Q and E2 are sold with five-year/100 000 km service plans, while the Dolphin Surf features a three-year/60 000 km service plan.


View attachment 1941228

View attachment 1941229

View attachment 1941231

View attachment 1941230

View attachment 1941232
Really should include the Dongfeng Box in these comparisons now.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X