Generator or Inverter for residential use?

thechamp

Honorary Master
so
MPPT1 (2 string parallel of 7 series)
[] - [] - [] - [] - [] - [] - []
MPPT2 (2 string parallel of 7 series)

thats like 316V per string i think, which means like 19.3A per set, which exceeds the MPPT input rating of 18A?

i might be off here, been a while since i did this

edit: are you sure they are 305W 144 cells? i cant find that configuration on the canadian solar site
They are 120 cells, someone got things wrong there.

adielk

Executive Member
Final quote

Couldn't get the 400w panels but the 28 x 305w panels will work. First 20 panels were demo stock on display in the shop so got them at a discount.

5 year warrantee on the inverter. This is from a different supplier to the initial quote I received.

Delivery expected next week. Will probably only be able to start installation in a few months time. View attachment 868437
No batteries? Or am I missing them?

Steamy Tom

Executive Member
No batteries for now. Need to save up again for batteries which I'll probably only be able to afford next year.
can that system operate without batteries or are you just going to leave it uninstalled for now? if it were me i would rather get batteries now and panels later than the reverse

signates

Executive Member
can that system operate without batteries or are you just going to leave it uninstalled for now? if it were me i would rather get batteries now and panels later than the reverse
It can operate without batteries.

Current conditions has allowed both my wife and I to work from home so we'll be continuing to do after things return to normal. Our peak usage is during the day and not too concerned about load shedding right now.

It can take generator input so if push comes to shove I'll get a generator for backup. The plan is to add 24kwh of battery backup and eventually disconnect from the grid. Our laptops and routers are already on backup systems.

Steamy Tom

Executive Member
It can operate without batteries.

Current conditions has allowed both my wife and I to work from home so we'll be continuing to do after things return to normal. Our peak usage is during the day and not too concerned about load shedding right now.

It can take generator input so if push comes to shove I'll get a generator for backup. The plan is to add 24kwh of battery backup and eventually disconnect from the grid. Our laptops and routers are already on backup systems.
thats really impressive, im kinda suspect to be honest...

InternetLuddite

Expert Member
Final quote

Couldn't get the 400w panels but the 28 x 305w panels will work. First 20 panels were demo stock on display in the shop so got them at a discount.

5 year warrantee on the inverter. This is from a different supplier to the initial quote I received.

Delivery expected next week. Will probably only be able to start installation in a few months time. View attachment 868437
Name of supplier? Never heard of Sunsynk before, but it looks good. Need to do more research.

signates

Executive Member
Name of supplier? Never heard of Sunsynk before, but it looks good. Need to do more research.
LRG Solar

There are few places that sells the sunsynk inverters.

Ellies quoted me R39k including Vat.

Invest solar quoted R31 280 including vat and delivery

Another reseller in joburg quoted R34k including vat but excluding delivery. Screenshot_20200703-111659_Adobe%20Acrobat.jpg

Last edited:

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Cool. Looks like a nicely specced unit. Interesting you can run 2 strings per tracker...

signates

Executive Member
Cool. Looks like a nicely specced unit. Interesting you can run 2 strings per tracker...
I think it's the biggest single phase inverter for domestic use. I think it's much better than getting 2 x 5kw inverters in parallel.

Neuk_

Expert Member
I wouldn't mind swapping my 5kva multiplus for an 8kva quattro
This was the issue I had when my girlfriend innocently ordered our 3kVa :unsure: We can run another 3kVa in parallel but it would have been more cost effective and easier to just get a 5kVa in the long run. A neighbour up the road has an 8kVa Quattro and runs her entire house off of it with PylonTech batteries and around 20 PV panels.