Getting 2018 LG TV to work with Amazon Alexa

jpd

I recently purchased a new 2018 LG OLED Smart TV. This TV is advertised as supporting LG's ThinQ technology and is claimed to work with Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa. What they dont tell you is that the Amazon Alexa support is only offered in the USA. Part of the setup process involves installing the LG Smart ThinQ app on your phone and then adding the device to your ThinQ account - problem is that there is no option to select a TV - only home appliances such as washing machines and dishwashers.

Has anybody managed to get this to work?

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Have you tried changing your amazon region to the US? I noticed they had a lot of other cool stuff over the weekend - such as Apple Music - that we don't. :eek:

jpd

My Amazon region is already the US. The issue actually seems to be with LG and not Amazon. I will probably have to try and change my TV's region setting to US but that requires access via Service Menu which seems challenging on the 2018 models.

Sumen

Expert Member
I recently purchased a new 2018 LG OLED Smart TV. This TV is advertised as supporting LG's ThinQ technology and is claimed to work with Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa. What they dont tell you is that the Amazon Alexa support is only offered in the USA. Part of the setup process involves installing the LG Smart ThinQ app on your phone and then adding the device to your ThinQ account - problem is that there is no option to select a TV - only home appliances such as washing machines and dishwashers.

Has anybody managed to get this to work?
Use this guide https://www.amazon.com/LG-SmartThinQ-Complete-Smart-Appliance/dp/B079R91LN6

You actually can't use Alexa like the way you would use Google Assistance, you need an Amazon Alexa device (maybe the echo) to control the TV.

jpd

You actually can't use Alexa like the way you would use Google Assistance, you need an Amazon Alexa device (maybe the echo) to control the TV.

I do have an Amazon Alexa device (Echo) in my home and I already use it to control other smart devices. I did follow the tutorial in the link you suggested but as I already mentioned no TV's are listed in the LG ThinQ app. Additionally Amazon quite clearly state that this is only supported in the US....

'LG SmartThinQ - Complete' supports Washer, Dryer, Refrigerator, Air Conditioner, Robot Cleaner, Air Purifier, Range, Dishwasher and TV (2018 LG ThinQ AI TVs only) in the United States.'

jpd

Use this guide https://www.amazon.com/LG-SmartThinQ-Complete-Smart-Appliance/dp/B079R91LN6

I cannot get Google Assistant to work either so if you have any advice it would be most appreciated. Again the issue seems to be that the South African models of these LG TV's do not have the "Setup this TV with Google Assistant" app listed in the LG Content Store.

Treschen

Here is the deal.

I bought a LG 4k TV recently. The thinq app does not show any TVs if you log in with a SA based LG account if you log in with a US based account the TVs appear under the Thinq app.

That's all good and well the problem comes in when you need to sign the TV into the LG account. If you try the US account on the TV the TV complains about incorrect region. Now if you sign in with the SA account it won't work because the SA account and the Thinq account are now different accounts... One is a US account one is SA account

If we could region unlock the TV to the US region you would be able to get this to work. One the TV and Thinq both use the use account you can then link Google home to the Thinq account.

If you guys pm I'll give you the managers number and email of LG. We can then all put in a complaint and hopefully they can resolve it. I bought this TV because of Google intergration if it does not work LG must refund me and I'll go out and happily buy a Samsung.

Hope this helps

Diabolix

I have the same problem, I created a LG US account through a VPN, but I can't change the TV's region to US as it's not listed as a option.

Any ideas?

@jpd @Treschen

Treschen

I have the same problem, I created a LG US account through a VPN, but I can't change the TV's region to US as it's not listed as a option.

Any ideas?

@jpd @Treschen

Don't bother I got the DNS, got the LG US account, even got the TV region changed to the US and at the end of it all google home tells me "LG is not support in your region" (If you try and say for eg. "Okay Google, tell LG to open Youtube").

Even tried linking the TV as a google assistant to my google home app and that failed. After that i was Gatvol and didn't even attempt to investigate changing the region on my phone to the US.

LG needs to come to the party and provide support for google home in SA. I mean I have a cheap RGB Wifi controller that costs R270 and even that integrates without hassles to my google home account. I got the managers details if anyone wants to complain

Diabolix

Don't bother I got the DNS, got the LG US account, even got the TV region changed to the US and at the end of it all google home tells me "LG is not support in your region" (If you try and say for eg. "Okay Google, tell LG to open Youtube").

Even tried linking the TV as a google assistant to my google home app and that failed. After that i was Gatvol and didn't even attempt to investigate changing the region on my phone to the US.

LG needs to come to the party and provide support for google home in SA. I mean I have a cheap RGB Wifi controller that costs R270 and even that integrates without hassles to my google home account. I got the managers details if anyone wants to complain

PM me his details and I will send in my complaint.

I have a Alexa and everything works as expected except my LG TV which has "AI".

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Have you tried changing your amazon region to the US? I noticed they had a lot of other cool stuff over the weekend - such as Apple Music - that we don't. :eek:

Amazon or LG? Because if my LG has the option to get Apple Music then I'll certainly try it.

hellfire

Honorary Master

Please PM me his details also

FrostAxe

Bought a 75" UHD 4K TV but when setting up the link in google home it calls the us.m.lgaccount.com website which then goes to kr.m.lgaccount.com. Setting up the thinq app registers me on the za.m.lgaccount.com site though and I just get a "the service is not supported in your country" error message when trying to login via google home.

Anyone managed to get their Google Home to link to LG ThinQ?