Getting started with Bitcoin

Catal

I want to do a bitcoin giveaway in this thread, to give newcomers incentive to learn how bitcoin transactions are conducted. It is only 0.01 bitcoins per person, and you don't have to participate. I would like to make it a little weird though, so please read the following conditions carefully. I reserve the right to change the rules, and this post, where I see fit.

If you have 50+ posts on MyBB, and you post your bitcoin wallet address in this thread, and your post is directly followed by a post (from another member) which also includes a bitcoin wallet address, then I will send you 10 mBTC to your bitcoin wallet.

I will do this, at my leisure, for the first 50 members who fulfil the above conditions before 1 June 2013. Only one wallet per member, you may post your wallet only once. Remember, if you post your wallet address, and the next thread post does not include a wallet address, then it does not count.

If you post your wallet address and directly post again after that with a wallet address, then it does not count. The wallet address may appear as part of a post. You only get one try, if someone else does not post their wallet directly after you, then you lose.

Below are a couple of helpful pages to get you started with setting up a wallet. It's really easy. The most difficult aspect is the observance of proper security hygiene. Use 2-factor authentication where possible, use a complex unique password for each site/wallet (I recommend LastPass), and turn on all notifications, and don't trust anything unless it comes recommended by the bitcoin community (bitcointalk.org & reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/).

Getting started with Bitcoin
Getting started installing Bitcoin-qt
How to get bitcoins - your Blockchain.info wallet

Enjoy the game.

matt_za

I am going with that its a fad that's already seems to be dying out. Also far to volatile for people to even think about putting more than token amounts in. A hell of a lot of people jumped on the bandwagon and lost money as it was pushed up to $280 i think it was and now its trading around $130 if i am not mistaken. Plus unregulated = manipulation is far easier. Wont see a cent of my money until volatility comes down and it gets regulated which it will only do if it becomes a "major" currency which it will never do since majority of people will flock to gold instead of Bitcoin for inflation hedge or if a major currency falls apart.

Have a feeling people gonna hate on me for the above

Splinter

Honorary Master
I just read in the latest FHM that bit coins are the currency for the "deep web"? A place that has some very dubious sites, topics and services offered?

TYR

Ok, Neverwhere ... let me secure that for you ...
15xF1n17tvZFrQxTxRpNVwjqahYobW16RS

Catal

Some users have been asking me where to buy bitcoins locally, so I'd like to mention that the easiest way is by using https://bitx.co.za/ with a local EFT payment. If you do an instant EFT you could get the bitcoins in the same day after bitx.co.za has processed the transaction, it then takes about 1 hour to get 3 confirms.

However, with a blockchain.info wallet you can immediately send the bitcoins to another wallet, and do not have to wait for the 3 confirmations. There are however sites like btc-e.com that require all 3 confirmations before you can use the bitcoins.

It's difficult to get bitcoins otherwise, at least consistently.

Don't worry TYR, I have already sent your bitcoins, seeing that I broke the wallet post chain. I just needed to get this post on the front page.

Crowley

Executive Member
Ok, Neverwhere ... let me secure that for you ...
15xF1n17tvZFrQxTxRpNVwjqahYobW16RS

1NgixnT5rCRUYwBha1iLLXWrvwH9kzwJRq

I haven't bought any coins yet but my PC at home sits and tirelessly churns them out day after day. Will wait for the next big spike before I sell them. I see they are on 96.888 $/฿ at the moment.

gresham

I have just started to delve into the bitcoin world and registered an account at coinbase.com I'm hoping to start getting more serious into bitcoin mining once I fully understand the hardware requirements.

1LtkWS62educyTXYqhhyxeVUZNUg93YjeM

Cheers

firepoi

I have been using bitcoin for about 2 years, its awesome, if you are interested you should also check out namecoin, litecoin and some of the other crypto currencies. Bitcoin is not a fad at all, its been around for a few years and has seen some major growth.