Giving Google the middle finger

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
What tools are you guys using instead of Google's services? I've been a big follower of Google and what they're doing but slowly moving away to alternative encrypted (where can) services. Tips and tricks or other great recommendations welcome.

It started when I got Windscribe last year. They don't have cheap lifetime accounts anymore but $2 for build a plan with uncapped data is cheap as chips. I'm connected to it all the time where I can. I then changed from Lastpass to Myki and finally settled on Bitwarden. Myki is great altough it's not open source (they're planning to do it) and the fact that you need your phone to unlock the browser extension every time you open your browser can be a schlep. It's free though with IAP for cosmetic stuff. From there I looked at Tutanota/Mailbox.org.Protonmail. Protonmail is too expensive for me and Mailbox too bloated with no real black theme so went with Tutanota and my own domain. Retrospectively my domain should've been some weird one and not my own name but I'm just moving away from Google for now. $5 special for one at Porkbun.com with free whois privacy. Trying out Firefox again with Firefox Preview on Android. Cloud storage is a problem but might go with sync.com, pCloud crypt or set up a nextcloud server.

Will need to get a dev friendly phone (for lineage os) or try and unlock the bootloader of my Honor.

Sure one can go the Apple route but just overheard someone in the office that paid R10500 for an iPhone 7 128gb. I just chuckled.

What else is there?

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic
You can get a iPhone 7 secondhand for as little as R4500 if you really need to.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
If Apple's services on Windows were any good, or even just the web versions I would simply have switched to Apple when Google did the idiotic thing of killing off Inbox.

But until I'm back on a Mac their product still seems the best bet out there.

Mars

Honorary Master
I started the process by not using google.com anymore, instead https://duckduckgo.com/
I tried to go to DuckDuckGo completly. I'm sorry to say it sucks. Try searching for a product thats locally available, or local businesses and it falls flat. I'm getting sick of google too, but they have a superior search engine. better to use Google in incognito.

bchip

I tried to go to DuckDuckGo completly. I'm sorry to say it sucks. Try searching for a product thats locally available, or local businesses and it falls flat. I'm getting sick of google too, but they have a superior search engine. better to use Google in incognito.
Have used duckduckgo for about a year now....cant say I noticed a difference.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Google can still track most things you do in incognito mode.

https://www.ecosia.org/ is another one still to try out.
Ecosia is a web search engine based in Berlin, Germany, which donates 80% of its surplus income to non-profit conservationist organizations, with a focus on tree planting.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
And presumably, root your mobile devices before being able to get rid of Google?

HeftyCrab

Expert Member
Google can still track you via fingerprinting and profiling so incognito doesnt help.

I agree. I use Duck Duck Go for general searches, and for the tough stuff still fall back to Google.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
BTW, what would you replace Youtube with?
Using the FOSS app Newpipe for now. Pity something like Bitchute hasn't caught on yet.
Why not Apple and Facebook too?
Don't use Apple since the entry is too expensive. Facebook is a bit harder to quit. Using the Facebook container extension for now.
What browser are you switching to?
Firefox as stated in the OP...

Shaun108

Executive Member
Do you have a source for secondhand toilet paper by any chance? :sneaky:
My friend Premsingh manufactures decent quality single ply virgin tissue for around R1.75 per roll. If you want to buy (100 rolls minimum), send me an inbox message.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
Step 1: get custom domain for emails (this way you can switch back to google or whatever)
Step 2: map to office 365
Step 3: install Edge (Chromium)
Step 4: use Bing or other search provider

Step 5: realise that after all is said and done, Google Search still provides better location specific results and that it is impossible to move off Google entirely :(