Going back to iOS 5.1 from iOS 6

surfs-up

Expert Member
Has anyone been able to get back to iOS 5 from the latest iOS 6 ?

The map app really does suck. I'm kicking myself for upgrading - Apple really have dropped the ball on this one. I am driving from Richards Bay to Maputo on tuesday morning. Now...this is usually not a long trip - just sneak into Swaziland and cross into Mozambique and down the winding hill into Maputo. It is about a 300km trip from here.

So, I thought let me see what my map app tells me, what the distance is and what road it chooses for me. Well I was dumbstruck - it wants me to go into Botswana !!!!! across to Bulawayo in Zimbabwe !!!!! I kid you not, and then do an about turn in Zimbabwe and head down to Mozambique. A total distance of 2540 km.

Now, does Apple want me to take the VERY scenic route ? or what.

The previous Google map app was absolutely excellent. It had so much detail and was impeccably accurate. Not to mention the street view which was invaluable.

Has anyone been able to go back to iOS 5 ? I used to use the map app often. I do believe that Apple will eventually get their map app working properly, but I cannot handle the wait. And I don't feel like taking scenic routes through Botswana and Zimbabwe in order to get to Maputo

Take a look at this route they want me to take :confused:

Screen Shot 2012-11-24 at 9.16.58 PM.jpg

Attachments

• ScreenShot2012-11-24at91658PM_2.jpg
    ScreenShot2012-11-24at91658PM_2.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 410
Last edited:

sand_man

Honorary Master
A4 devices only and only if you've been jailbroken and saved your blobs/shsh files.

surfs-up

Expert Member
A4 devices only and only if you've been jailbroken and saved your blobs/shsh files.

So, I guess not. I have the iPAD 2 and iPhone 4. I thought there might be a way if I used an old copy of iTunes, then deleted iOS 6 and restored it to a saved copy of iOS 5 on an old copy of iTunes.

Bugger it, this might force me to move to Android SIII when I upgrade in January. I know Apple will get it as good as Google - after all they have a huge amount of cash, resources and skills. But the wait might be too long.

Oh....I haven't jailbroken or saved blobs on any of my devices.

Last edited:

sand_man

Honorary Master
No chance without blobs.

There half a dozen viable map alternatives including Nokia maps. Free too.

surfs-up

Expert Member
Thanks for the info. I have tried the Nokia map app, which I think is even worse than the Apple maps. I have several other map apps, but none of them gave me the routing information that the google map app gave me.

I have tried the Google web app, which is probably the next best thing

Lets hope Google can get an app approved for the App store....and that Apple swallow their pride and approve it.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Jailbreak, get Tom Tom app. Problem solved
I don't understand the correlation between Jailbreaking and getting the TomTom app.
Lets hope Google can get an app approved for the App store....and that Apple swallow their pride and approve it.
Lets hope that Google gets off their butt and submits one and that the app they submit doesnt flaunt apple's guidelines. I've got a feeling google would love to submit an app that Apple has no choice but to reject.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
I don't understand the correlation between Jailbreaking and getting the TomTom app.
Lets hope that Google gets off their butt and submits one and that the app they submit doesnt flaunt apple's guidelines. I've got a feeling google would love to submit an app that Apple has no choice but to reject.

Jailbreak plus installous = cracked app, ie free.

Way69

You've said you've tried a few other options... Have you tried Waze? Because of the traffic information, I actually find it more useful that google maps. I always thought google maps on iOS was k@k, I hate that it didn't have voice navigation.

I really hope they improve apple maps because the interface and how it integrates into iOS (lockscreen notifications) is awesome.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Speaking of apple maps I was planning a trip from PE to Grahamstown not long ago and both Tomtom and google maps routed me via the N2 which has been closed since the big storm but apple's maps didnt.

surfs-up

Expert Member
You've said you've tried a few other options... Have you tried Waze? Because of the traffic information, I actually find it more useful that google maps. I always thought google maps on iOS was k@k, I hate that it didn't have voice navigation.

I really hope they improve apple maps because the interface and how it integrates into iOS (lockscreen notifications) is awesome.

Yes I do have Waze. It is terrible in the area I live in - there have been no updates, so there are no roads anywhere. I would have to drive every road in every suburb and make my own map with Waze as there are no other users here. Waze also shows no harbour here, yet we have the largest harbour in Africa (in terms of area). Sure, I can get my area done - although it would take a lot of time and a lot of money. But what if I went to a town similar to mine, where there were no Wazers ? I would have no maps.

I don't need voice navigation. Google maps on iOS was perfect for me....not to mention the street view. Apple maps clearly are inferior, as the CEO even apologised for it. Apart from the accuracy, I just don't like the look and feel of Apple maps. I don't know where Apple got their map data from, but in my area the data is more than 15 years old. Major roads that have been built over 15 years ago just don't appear on Apple maps. Google maps are so detailed, they even have every private plot marked out !!

The last straw for me was when I asked for directions for my trip to Maputo tomorrow, and it asked me to go to Botswana, then Zimbabwe to see Bob, and then do a 180 and go down to Maputo.

What Google maps told me...
Screen Shot 2012-11-26 at 1.51.51 PM.jpg

What Apple maps told me...
Screen Shot 2012-11-24 at 9.16.58 PM.jpg

Last edited:

Way69

Well maybe you're lucky and the rumoured google maps for iOS gets released soon.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
I don't need voice navigation. Google maps on iOS was perfect for me....not to mention the street view. Apple maps clearly are inferior, as the CEO even apologised for it. Apart from the accuracy, I just don't like the look and feel of Apple maps. I don't know where Apple got their map data from, but in my area the data is more than 15 years old. Major roads that have been built over 15 years ago just don't appear on Apple maps. Google maps are so detailed, they even have every private plot marked out !!
maps.google.com

surfs-up

Expert Member
maps.google.com

Thanks Bwana. I mentioned that earlier (6th post) - that the next best thing to having the google map app of iOS 5, is to use the Google web app. Not as good - no street view, but same great maps and routing.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Thanks Bwana. I mentioned that earlier (6th post) - that the next best thing to having the google map app of iOS 5, is to use the Google web app. Not as good - no street view, but same great maps and routing.

No street view you say? :)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354012297.530523.jpg