Golf 5 1.9 TDI over - revving when engine is turned on - Help

Jambalaya

HI

I recently drove up from Cape Town to Johannesburg in in a recently purchased second-hand Golf 5 1.9 TDI.

After Stopping in Colesberg for the night, I started my engine and noticed a cascade of over-revving upon ignition. I turned off, and tried again and it was fine.

Going up to Colesberg, my consumption averaged about 5.4/5.5L / 100km, from Colesberg to JHB I noticed it had changed to 5.8L/100km.

Is the higher consumption and over-revving related? All the times when it happened (it happened about 3 times) it was when the car was on warm start ( I hadn't stopped for very long)

I did some research, and it looks like the fault could be a coolant sensor issue, or that the O-ring on the fuel cut-off valve is unseated.

Does anyone have experience with this issue? If so, can anyone recommend a honest and reasonable diesel mechanic in JHB? (close to Melville?)

Thanks

The_Librarian

Another MyBB
Super Moderator
Mechanic friend of ours informed us to stay away from diesels as the fuel stations do love to mix paraffin with diesel (increased profits) but unfortunately this also causes accelerated wear and tear on all components.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Check the oil level. If it's too high, it could be blowing oil through the PCV back into the intake, which could cause the engine to burn the oil and thus overrev.

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic
Mechanic friend of ours informed us to stay away from diesels as the fuel stations do love to mix paraffin with diesel (increased profits) but unfortunately this also causes accelerated wear and tear on all components.

Cant be, they would be fined millions of rands.

asshat99

Expert Member
It is a common problem - you can buy cheap test kits to detect paraffin in petrol/diesel.

Colin62

Executive Member

My diesel has over 500 000km on the clock and has never been opened. I'd hate to think what mileage I could have got without all that paraffin.