Good Car for Dirt roads

Good Day.

The wife and I are looking at getting a new set of wheels. We currently have a VW Citi Golf and as good as they are on dirt roads the ones we do are taking a toll.

We go on treks about 4-5 times a year and we are currently shaking the poor golf to pieces. My first thought was a Jimny but is just to slow and fuel economy and range is not that great. So currently stuck on a Terios but not sure about it.

Our Budget is 110K max and would like to have something that is not to big as will be used as our daily in the city and fuels economy as good or better than the gold would be fine.

SmuGS

Can't go wrong with a Terios. Overseas they are marketed as a Toyota rush. It has the same 1.5l VVT engine as the Avanza. I'm currently looking for a good one now..

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
I took my Tata Bolt on dirt road of about 14KM one way when me and BF went to Geluksburg
. It handled the dirt road very well. It has high ground clearance also.

I would kill myself with those BMW's.

Thinking I was Ari Vatanen or Loeb.

My fear of a Subaru is the fuel economy and if something goes it going to cost me a lung and a kidney to fix.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Can't go wrong with a Terios. Overseas they are marketed as a Toyota rush. It has the same 1.5l VVT engine as the Avanza. I'm currently looking for a good one now..
I second this, can't beat the Daihutsu Terios.

Suzuki's also an option.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
Not sure about Tata.

But will look into it.
It'll be the same as your golf realistically. Blah, blah, updated interior and fancy kit, but in no way is it even remotely designed for occasional off road use. You need a soft off roader like the Jimny, Terios, Duster sort of thing. (examples, I'm not sure if a slightly soiled duster meets your price range)

I used to have a Lada Niva for occasional off roading, it was perfect for purpose. Fortunately it wasn't my daily driver. I did buy it for R20k though.

Nirv

For your price range consider the Renault Sandero Stepway. Should tick the boxes and not break the bank for a relatively recent secondhand model.

The Terios is great, though note that some parts are harder to come by nowadays (they stopped production around 2010 I think). In 2015 we had a long wait for some brackets or something minor to be imported from Japan.

Naks

Expert Member
The best gravel road vehicles are the Freelander 2 and the Subaru Outback/Forrester.

Unless you go large and get something equipped with air suspension.

Thanks for the reply's.

With the Terios is there a big issue with 200 00km plus cars? Or should you try and pick up one with few as possible?