Good ol days

warrenpridgeon

Expert Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2015
Messages
1,917
Reaction score
3,154
Location
Gauteng
1791531678382.png

11 Years ago two of my passions overlapped. I hopped on my bike, rode 85km to work and then when to rAge LAN at the dome after work with my gaming laptop in my backpack.

rAge LAN was epic, thousands of people all bringing their PCs into the same venue and playing games together.

Anyone else miss the good ol Lan days?

It feels like the internet klapped LANs.
1791531745696.png
 
If we are talking about the ride we had when moving gaming equipment, then yeah, still have my Bantam.

Remember the one LAN we had in Kempton.

Jeugland and Kempton all together. Moerse convoy through the streets in to the business section cause someone's dad had a factory with many tables.

That was where the legendary sentence was born : "Ouens, vanaand word ons verkrag hier :) "

EDIT : Just remembered the ones we attended in Boksburg, close to the ellie eggbar house.
Almost got moered by n oke.

They always turned the matches into competitions with certain rules. One being knifes only.

Me : Knife the oke
Oke : ****
Me : Knife the same oke
Oke : Mother******
Me : Knife the same oke
Oke : Who the **** is Hellhound
Me : Knife the same oke
Oke : I am going to ****ing moer Hellhound
Me : Knife the same oke
Oke : ....
Oke sees me and starts shooting me with knife only rules
Me : Knife him with 1 HP remaining.

Bruh the scream that evening... 10/10
 
Last edited:
If we are talking about the ride we had when moving gaming equipment, then yeah, still have my Bantam.

Remember the one LAN we had in Kempton.

Jeugland and Kempton all together. Moerse convoy through the streets in to the business section cause someone's dad had a factory with many tables.

That was where the legendary sentence was born : "Ouens, vanaand word ons verkrag hier :) "

EDIT : Just remembered the ones we attended in Boksburg, close to the ellie eggbar house.
Almost got moered by n oke.

They always turned the matches into competitions with certain rules. One being knifes only.

Me : Knife the oke
Oke : ****
Me : Knife the same oke
Oke : Mother******
Me : Knife the same oke
Oke : Who the **** is Hellhound
Me : Knife the same oke
Oke : I am going to ****ing moer Hellhound
Me : Knife the same oke
Oke : ....
Oke sees me and starts shooting me with knife only rules
Me : Knife him with 1 HP remaining.

Bruh the scream that evening... 10/10
HAHAHA... those type of memories don't really happen over discord unfortunately :/
 
HAHAHA... those type of memories don't really happen over discord unfortunately :/
Yeah, I miss it and don't miss it at the same time.

Was moerse fun and all but the far distance and then no sleep driving back the next day.
The setup and then removal.

I know the one in Boksburg, it was always after work on Friday. I then needed to fetch the person going with me.
Would then rock up late and was always then placed in group 2 for the competition.
 
Oh the days where cap's where 3 gig and Porn, Movies and such was currency.
Dont miss it. ^

I do miss the LANs me and a couple of friends had in the bush veld in the evenings, hunting, quad bikes and hiking during the day. Sadly most moved abroad.

Then again back then I had no SO so there was that.
 
Yep, I still reminisce about the good ol' LAN days. Used to lan just about every weekend in my parents' garage. If it weren't for lanning, I wouldn't have gotten into IT. Used to wash cars and mow the neighbours' lawns so I could build and refurb second-hand PCs I would sell. Also sold copied PC games at school lol. All my profits went into buying gigabit switches and network cable. Started renting out the local scout hall for up to 50 people I would charge R50 from Friday eve until midday on Sunday.

By the time I got to high school, I started renting out the school hall for the weekend once a month. I would do the setup, and my folks would run the tuckshop. It was a nice little side hustle. Had to stop eventually because the school got stupid with their pricing; they went from charging R1000 a night to R10k a night! Which was way more than my total profits.

Had plenty of good times, though.

IMG_1013.JPG

IMG_1009.JPG

Used to have hundreds of photos, but they were on an external drive that was stolen :mad:
 
Every weekend we used to Lan at someone house. We had our token ring network, which was slow a fck but it worked. We mostly played Doom 2 (level 7) and Duke Nukem 3d. Usually we had to carry those old cases and screens to said friends house which was torture.
 
Every weekend we used to Lan at someone house. We had our token ring network, which was slow a fck but it worked. We mostly played Doom 2 (level 7) and Duke Nukem 3d. Usually we had to carry those old cases and screens to said friends house which was torture.
Yeah, can't say I miss the days of lugging around a 21" CRT :laugh:
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X