Google Chrome problem.

Barrymore

I hope I am using the correct section for this post.
I've been using Google Chrome for years with no problems.
Suddenly it freezes after about 30 seconds. I then wait until
the message that the page is not responding appears, "wait" or "kill".
I select kill then open another tab and proceed without further problems.
On some sites the message never appears then I have to revert to using
Internet Explorer.
Any suggestions to get rid of this problem would be most welcome.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Internet Explorer.
Difficult to answer without knowing what OS you are using and on what device. Then It could be specifically related to only some websites.

Chrome is losing its shine as they try desperately to keep ahead of the pack regarding maintaining their lead in HTML. I have noticed a few time that Chrome is no longer the be all and end all of Browsers, with MS Edge gaining ground all the time.

Have you updated Chrome lately? There were two updates on the last 3 weeks.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Clear the cache? Otherwise uninstall and reinstall if you're signed into Chrome sync.

EDIT:
Chrome is losing its shine as they try desperately to keep ahead of the pack regarding maintaining their lead in HTML. I have noticed a few time that Chrome is no longer the be all and end all of Browsers, with MS Edge gaining ground all the time.
You joking right? Can't mute a tab, limited extensions etc. etc. Hell even now I have just 3 tabs open and it takes all my memory...

Edge.PNG

I advocated it here on mybb aswell.

Last edited:

BradleyKZN

Internet Explorer.
I seem to have the same problem, especially youtube.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Go to Settings

Expand Show advanced settings,

Last item is Restore settings:

Restore the settings to their original defaults.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Clear the cache? Otherwise uninstall and reinstall if you're signed into Chrome sync.

EDIT: You joking right? Can't mute a tab, limited extensions etc. etc. Hell even now I have just 3 tabs open and it takes all my memory...

View attachment 405634

I advocated it here on mybb aswell.
Meh!

I use MS edge exclusively. I have 4 tabs open at the moment, and two sessions of MS Edge running and Edge is using 32 MB of memory!

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Go to Settings

Expand Show advanced settings,

Last item is Restore settings:

Restore the settings to their original defaults.
Ja and undo months of customisation you might have done ....
Why is it that the only IT solution around is to switch off and restart, or re-install or to restore defaults?
First look for the problem THEN implement the appropriate remedial actions.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Why is it that the only IT solution around is to switch off and restart, or re-install or to restore defaults?
If he is signed into Chrome Sync then as soon as Chrome resets and he signs into his Google account again chrome will download all customization and he'll be where he left off.

Last edited:

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Because we (IT) don't have days to sit and figure out which add on or plug in that you installed to download youtube videos or whatever is causing the problem. And even if we did. that's the starting point of troubshooting, add them back slowly and test each time, if it reoccurs then you know what add on is giving you your issue.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Because we (IT) don't have days to sit and figure out which add on or plug in that you installed to download youtube videos or whatever is causing the problem. And even if we did. that's the starting point of troubshooting, add them back slowly and test each time, if it reoccurs then you know what add on is giving you your issue.
Look backwards and see which was the last ad-on and plug-in whatever, that was installed and remove them one bu one backwards until the problem disappears. Works just as well.

But then I know what is going on my personal PC. NOTHING happens without me knowing about it. And I have a set of checks I do after every new sw install that takes place, with at the 4 fallback restores available at any one time.

Called configuration management .....

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
If he is signed into Chrome Sync then as soon as Chrome resets and he signs into his Google account again chrome will download all customization and he'll be where he left off.

So with Google Sync signed ( as with MS and any other sync), a fault happens, it is Exported into the cloud, you reset to defaults to fault find and back comes the bug over and over again! makes plenty of sense to some but not to me! These sync services are not on as far as I am concerned. One problem on one device and the next thing all your devices are messed up ...

I will sync under my control and only after I know what is going on ....

Esquire

Esquire representative
I had the same issue at home on my laptop , did some research and ran advanced system care , CCleaner and RKill from BleepingComputer.com

seems to have worked

Barrymore

Difficult to answer without knowing what OS you are using and on what device. Then It could be specifically related to only some websites.

Have you updated Chrome lately? There were two updates on the last 3 weeks.
I have just got Google to update my version. I hesitate to talk too soon, but this seems to have solved the problem. Holding thumbs.

UPDATE: Last night I had no problems. Problem has just returned while browsing this site.

Last edited:

Rarbob

clear cache (you can use some greenify software/app like CCleaner, Clean Master to free some space on your pc)