Google dark mode rolling out for desktop web browsers

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic
Only now?

But I've been using Dark Reader GC extension, it affects all websites not just google.

Creag

The Boar's Rock
Having used light mode for such a long time, dark will take a while to get used to.

RaptorSA

Expert Member
"some argue that dark mode requires your eye’s iris to open up wider to read the text, causing increased strain"

My eyes disagree with that argument.
Just got a new android phone and felt like I had to keep one eye closed while I "skip" through all the setup BS so I can get the damn thing into dark mode ASAP.

airborne

Honorary Master
I find dark mode on desktop not great, noticeably more eye strain.

krycor

Honorary Master
Been using the experimental feature which does dark mode for over a year.. works mostly ok till eg you have some frames.. eg kanban board on jira, click on an issue ticket and prepare to see nothing and blinded by the column.

Atlassian stuff looks so much better in dark mode haha.. except that. Uhm been rocking dark mode for long and it’s awesome mostly.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
finally, moar dark mode for our poor eyes.

It is because it isn't done right. Dark or pure black palettes are by large reduced, and then there is saturation and what not. Not going into the details, but Google's own material design guidelines are more than accommodative, come to this, though I believe there are better design methodologies.

Every time I see pure white on a dark background I want to cry, that hurts.

I got the update, and I believe the extension (Night Eye) I use are better than Google's own implementation.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Been using the experimental feature which does dark mode for over a year.. works mostly ok till eg you have some frames.. eg kanban board on jira, click on an issue ticket and prepare to see nothing and blinded by the column.

Atlassian stuff looks so much better in dark mode haha.. except that. Uhm been rocking dark mode for long and it’s awesome mostly.
Definitely does, wish they'd make dark mode for Trello, Trello in dark mode is great (via dark reader), but had to disable as too many cards and it freezes (on a pretty strong machine). Have to do a clean-up every 2/3 weeks archiving everything/moving to other boards. :(