Google self driving cars getting there

R13...

Honorary Master
I wonder if they can still operate without internet though..

It should - it just needs a known road/route (but how will you be served ads if there is no internet connection?). We kind of did a project at varsity where we designed a small vehicle to follow a known route, and bonus marks if you could code it so it can also follow an unknown route.

OGroteKoning

Honorary Master
Apart from the vehicle costing a bundle, can you imagine how much data will be consumed? Hellooooo OOB!

CeeBee

Expert Member
this is where the local gov's method of making the road safer is : a sign board saying "potholes ahead".... much cheaper than actual fixing the road :)

going down to Vryheid in Natal a few months ago, past Ladysmith/Harrismith.... theres a 20Km stretch of road, that makes you feel like u in a timewarp back to the 80s.... no potholes anywhere, white lines in the middle of the road, and these reflectors that light up bright in the night as you drive... cat's eyes we used to call them, clearly showing road sides and middle! alas, just as you appreciate the scarce good quality road, you soon reach local time roads again, where a drunk almost veers better between the holes guessing where the lane is :)

Scooby_Doo

Executive Member
Would love to have my car drop me off at the airport and then drive itself home. Epic.

CeeBee

Expert Member
Would love to have my car drop me off at the airport and then drive itself home. Epic.
yes, and the long drive on the 'highway' to home after work, save your leg that has to "clutch in, clutch out" with the stop-n-go we go through so regularly!
built in PS4/XBOX to rather take your mind off the road :)

entrepr

Expert Member
Saw a video of this some time ago so they've been doing it for a while.

The cars talk to each other as part of their learning, so need to stay connected - for example if there was a pothole detected, the other cars would learn about it very quickly (pretty cool).

I would love one of these for bumper-to-bumper traffic. You could work on your laptop or read a book, like on a train.

Even better - have group algorithms so the cars in a slow lane could work out optimal speeds and distances to increase 'throughput'.

Scooby_Doo

Executive Member
yes, and the long drive on the 'highway' to home after work, save your leg that has to "clutch in, clutch out" with the stop-n-go we go through so regularly!
built in PS4/XBOX to rather take your mind off the road :)

Magical, I want one now.