Google warns Huawei users not to sideload its apps

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist

Google has released a statement detailing what Huawei's US Entity listing means for the smartphone manufacturer's upcoming devices.

"Google is prohibited from working with Huawei on new device models or providing Google’s apps including Gmail, Maps, YouTube, the Play Store and others for preload or download on these devices," the company said.

Dolby

Honorary Master

Google has released a statement detailing what Huawei's US Entity listing means for the smartphone manufacturer's upcoming devices.

"Google is prohibited from working with Huawei on new device models or providing Google’s apps including Gmail, Maps, YouTube, the Play Store and others for preload or download on these devices," the company said.
I got my M30P yesterday... Although I haven't really had time yet to play with the apps or sideloading. I'm going to try this morning

And that phone hardware...

Fox1

Executive Member
Google didn't even stand up against the Huawei ban like MS did.

Danie_V

Masses of people have had to sideload Google apps for years with LineageOS and I never recall any incidents. Big thing is to get the sideloaded app from a trusted source, and in this case Huawei will be the source, who has checked the app out. Google's "explanation" is lame.

Reza01

Is their any way Google could legitimately stop Huawei devices from sideloading their apps? Whats the worst case scenario here?

K3NS31

Expert Member
Main question is will you be able to sideload play store and thus be able to update apps easily. Somebody please test?

MEIOT

Expert Member
I bet they're just covering their bases from a legal standpoint - they don't/shouldn't care that Huawei users sideload GAPPS.

clickingbuttons

Expert Member
I see this hurting Google more in the long run, once users realize they can either sideload the app or their choice or just use an alternate app store.

Google Apps in and of themselves aren't OMG AMAZING anyway.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
I see this hurting Google more in the long run, once users realize they can either sideload the app or their choice or just use an alternate app store.

Google Apps in and of themselves aren't OMG AMAZING anyway.

The problem is with underlying Google Play Services. Things like Uber and The Entertainer rely on this :/