josh_lister

Hi,

I recently graduated with a BCom in Informatics (information systems) and I am looking for employment in a relevant field, such as a business analyst role.

However, I am finding it quite challenging to find something at the moment. So I am asking anyone that would possibly know of what direction I should head in, like a graduate programme, etc. It would be great if anyone could point me in the right direction, provide me with any advice, or refer me to a company looking for informatics graduates.

I have skills in the following:
Visual studio (C#)
SQL
IBM System architect
MS office

Thank you

phiber

Expert Member
A number of companies run graduate programs, those are usually the way to go. Its a bit late now, but one or two may still have open applications.

ActivateD

Expert Member
I hope you work out with requiem but if you do not I suggest you email SME's your CV. I found my current job like that, sent my CV in and two weeks later they gave me an offer. Do not limit yourself to big corps

Jedi-Kalin

Hi,

I recently graduated with a BCom in Informatics (information systems) and I am looking for employment in a relevant field, such as a business analyst role.

However, I am finding it quite challenging to find something at the moment. So I am asking anyone that would possibly know of what direction I should head in, like a graduate programme, etc. It would be great if anyone could point me in the right direction, provide me with any advice, or refer me to a company looking for informatics graduates.

I have skills in the following:
Visual studio (C#)
SQL
IBM System architect
MS office

Thank you

Congrats on your degree bud, awesome achievement.

I will be registering for this degree next year.

Hope you find something.

josh_lister

I hope you work out with requiem but if you do not I suggest you email SME's your CV. I found my current job like that, sent my CV in and two weeks later they gave me an offer. Do not limit yourself to big corps

Thanks, do you have any suggestions in terms of SME's?

quax

I also did Informatics at Tuks. Completed my hons end of 2012, I think its easier to get into grad programmes and such but usually their applications start in the middle of the year so its a bit late. This also happened to me but don't worry you'll find something soon! I don't think that the end of the year is a great time for job seeking, anyways that was my feeling towards it.

So I ended up getting a position in a SAP learnership. I will send you a PM with the links and such.

Also go and ask the lady at the Informatics help desk if they have any info from companies looking for grads. Usually a lot of companies send stuff to the university who are looking for grads.

Best of luck with the job search!

quax

Hey bud, any luck with the job search. Curious to find if this degree will really provide new oppurtunities

I think it's a good degree, personally. If business analysis especially is something that you're interested in it is probably the closest you will get in terms of a degree (yes there are very good courses but you really want a degree to back you too, well I would think so at least - like I'm doing a BA course now too while I'm working). It's not limited to BA, there are loads of other IT opportunities just as with any other IT degree. Depends where your passion lies. If you want to code and be a software dev, you can still get into that with this degree but then maybe you should be doing comp sci or B.IT. This is kind of bridging the gap between business and IT to put it into layman terms.

Personally I don't know anyone who couldn't find a decent job with this degree. All my mates I studied with managed to get one within a few months at most.

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
I was in the same position, get experience to get a job but can't get a job to get experience. It was a really tough time in my life that I had to somehow emerge from what I came from. Luckily, by the grace of God, a door (in the form of a graduate programme) opened.

But before that, I sprayed my CV around and prayed. That's the only advice that I can give you, apply everywhere. Even if they are not advertising any jobs, mail them...just prep for interviews.

josh_lister

Hey bud, any luck with the job search. Curious to find if this degree will really provide new oppurtunities

I've gotten some interest and should be going for a few interviews soon. But like quax said, it's a solid degree to have

MrR

Expert Member
If you want to specifically get into Business Analysis, then also try to do the 6 months Diploma in Business Analysis at FTI (or other IIBA endorsed institutions. A lot of big corporate often prefer candidates with this diploma.
Also register with the South African Chapter of the IIBA for useful info regarding Business Analysis.

+1. Most BA positions will have this as a requirement. So perhaps put this on your CV as a "studying towards" point. Don't go and register for the course yet, as you might find a company that may pay for you.

wolverine_dcp

Expert Member
It might be too late but check toyotacareers.co.za i work in the IT security department...the grads salaries are good and perks are awsome...did i mention you get a maintenance free car

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
Ya it is actually. It's not specifically a BA degree, it's an informatics degree, which includes system analysis, business analysis and C# programming

aah sorry I mean informatics. Is it similar to Information Systems?