Guess that car

HammerDown

Expert Member
That whole thing is probably fiberglass..if you look at the rear bumper section and at the sliding windows in the front door......if my line wasn't running at 20 kbits/s (I kid you not) I could've Googled...

kilobits

Executive Member
Yeah godz... how did you get that!

Yeeeks

The vehicle was powered by the Villiers 324 cc two-stroke motor with drive to the front wheels. The motor's output was 12 Kw, drive was via a motorcycle gearbox and chain drive. Reversing the car required stopping the engine, then restarting using the electramatic system which spun the engine in reverse, This meant that the car could go as fast in reverse as it could in forward, up to 60mph.
Another odd feature was the fuel gauge. The fuel gauge consisted of a glass tube on the dashboard that had petrol inside it, as it was on the same level as the fuel tank, which was just in front of the dashboard. There are no reports of this breaking and causing a fire. The standard Zeta did not come with a rear hatch so access to the cargo area required removal of the front seats, the ease of which was advertised as a positive feature. The chassis was steel, with a fibreglass body enclosing a large but sparse interior. Car tyres were not available at that time of such a small size hence wheelbarrow tyres were used.

arf9999

MyBroadband Member
Well done! I expected this one to go on for a while :)

The four speed dog clutch Villiers Engineering gearbox had no reverse so the engine had to switched off and started backwards which provide four reverse gears. Fuel was delivered by gravity feed from a tank behind the dashboard. The fuel gauge was a plastic pipe running from the top to the bottom of the tank through the dashboard. As a Wheels road test in 1974 put it "it read anywhere from full to empty depending on gradient, throttle and probably Greenwich mean time".
With the Zeta, however, failure was engineered into the product from day one.[3]
—Tony Davis , Extra Lemon!

Last edited: