Hashim Amla

Badprop_za

Expert Member
21 centuries in 6 years because of Amla.:D

The real Kallis could start playing as he had someone to share the stability burden. For years Kallis had to "carry" the innings. People say he wasn't attacking enough, but circumstances in the team dictated his career to put away the flamboyance.

But enough of that, let's get back to the mighty #.

OzzieCapie

Expert Member
I agree with you. It doesn't take into account bowlers who've been abuse by Amla for 130 overs by the time AB comes on to bat in Tests, or . I'll stick to the simplistic stats. South Africans a tiny fraction of the cricket following public. There are Sri Lankans, Pakistanis, Bangladeshis & Indians too. If you restrict yourself to just a tiny fraction of opinions you might draw the wrong conclusions and find yourself overstating certain figures because you like them more not because they are truly superior to others.

Do you honestly think a Mark Nicholas or Michael Vaughan would bring themselves to say Sanga or Amla are better than AB? ....blah blah blah

Do you understand the algorithms behind the rankings software that has been refined over the years? Do you, or do you just type your comment nonetheless?? And what are you carrying on about Nicholas and Vaughan? The rankings are not opinions of commentators or forumites like you even, it is a computer generated ranking...now you are arguing against that too, are you?

Of course it takes into account the bowlers, how succesfull those bowlers are, where they are ranked, how much they have bowled before the batsman has come in. It even takes into account the grounds. On the batsman side, it takes into account things like strike rate , state of game (i.e. attacking/defending) etc. That's why it is determined by a computer and not someone like you or me.

Take some time to understand the neutrality of it, andc take some time to understand that others may have a point considering you are in the minority.

...on a different note, I was reminded by an Aussie today when talking about cricket, that " how freakish is a player that can stonewall for over 200 balls and save a test , and then that same player hits top class bowlers to all corners of the ground".
Who else has done this, would be happy to know?

ZCFOutkast

Expert Member
Agree with that. Wonder if there is a stat that shows how many times Kallis rescued SA from dire situations.
Simplest way is to look at matches that were drawn.

You were spot on there! Kallis takes the cake http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/en...result=4;team=3;template=results;type=batting. Expected Smith to top the list, but I'm surprised to see Kirsten is there (his century count&avg is higher than Amla!). But when you think about it, those kind of situations are made for Kirsten(Collingwood) type players - over their dead bodies type of thing. That's very damning for Duminy though(he's not an Ashwell Prince afterall)! Gibbs&AB's six count tells a story too - the going was hard. Looks like Alviro was a little underrated. He gave a lot of starts clearly.

But that doesn't tell a story because we could've been setting a target, so next we can say fielding first. Kallis&Kirsten still come out tops while Smith is still thereabouts http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/en...result=4;team=3;template=results;type=batting. However, Gibbs seems to thrive on having to save matches. AB and Cronje are a big concern though.

Normally people just use the 3rd&4th innings http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/en...=matches;team=3;template=results;type=batting. Amla stands head&shoulders ahead of everyone here. But of course toss&objective play a big role. What sticks out is Cronje is still rubbish, Boucher useless, and more importantly Duminy&Klusener overrated! But that last link proves why it was hard to beat the Proteas in a series when Smith, Kallis, Amla&AB were all in the team.

ZCFOutkast

Expert Member
...on a different note, I was reminded by an Aussie today when talking about cricket, that " how freakish is a player that can stonewall for over 200 balls and save a test , and then that same player hits top class bowlers to all corners of the ground". Who else has done this, would be happy to know?
Between you and me mate, if Amla was there for 200 balls in that very same position, we'd have won no doubt. He only knows one gear that's the point. Same applies to Lara, Ponting&Sanga. They'd have won the game from that position because their normal game allows it. That's why they belong to the "great" category. HAve a look at the bulk of their careers for similar situations.

ZCFOutkast

Expert Member

....that's a bit of difference between him and others mentioned
The bottomline remains, AB struggles under pressure in Tests too. In the 3rd&4th innings of every Test match we've lost (during the time he had the luxury of both Kallis&Smith), AB's stats are very ugly. That he was again never once "Not Out" (despite batting as low as 5&6 for the most part), similar symptom to his ODI failures, proves more than anything that he's not the man to shield us from defeat http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/en...result=2;team=3;template=results;type=batting. Those are not the makings of a great player by any means. Even an opener like Graeme Smith, or first drop like Amla was able to last at least once until the end.

ABdVStrugglesPressureTestsToo1.jpg

Even if you exclude Kallis, AB still struggles to be a force. Not a single Not Out in 25 innings, plus zero centuries!

You won't admit anything despite the damning stats, so I'll spare you any further stats because you're intent on remaining in perpetual denial. If you haven't been convinced yet that he only thrives on a platform and is reduced to nothing when he doesn't have it, (nor is he capable of laying one himself from higher up the order), then you'll never be convinced. As far as I'm concerned close inspection of AB's career shows him to be anything but the stuff that great batsmen past&present are made of. I just find it sad that he's unfairly elevated to the status of vastly superior peers.

Beavis

This is all I see where ever I go for statistics and there are many more stats...

What's your famous words "You are trying to hard boet!" :p

Capture1.PNG

Mike7

So dissapointed in him this tournament.

Looked all at sea against any decent bowler.

Has no BMT at all.

JoE

Yeah he really underperformed for us especially in the big games. Got off to good starts and didn't follow through which was very unlike him.

3WA

Honorary Master
And if pigeons dropped on McCullum's eye right as he was about to play a shot.