HDMI audio problem

Fyson

Hi everyone.

I recently got a bluray player.

My set up used to be like this:
DSTV - HDMI cable to TV
DSTV - Red/White Audio cable to HiFi

Now I can use my second HDMI port on my TV for the bluray player, but there isn't any old style audio outputs that can go to my old hifi. It only has one set of aux inputs anyway.

What I've tried is to connect both only to the TV and then use TV audio out to hifi. But that doesn't work either, the tech guy said my TV does not have the necessary audio converter from HDMI to rca.

He said I should buy a converter. Does this sound correct to anyone? If so, then where can I buy said converter?
The only ones I managed to find were simple cable converters that took HDMI and gives you that old style red white and yellow ports (RCA?)

But that is stupid as my set top box already has those outputs and even if I did get that converter cable for the Bluray player the sound problem would probably be sorter but then picture quality will be completely ruined.

Does anyone know of a converter box thingie that is locally available?

Dolby

Honorary Master
What TV model is it ?

The TV audio out should work, not sure why it won't work

Fyson

What TV model is it ?

The TV audio out should work, not sure why it won't work

Its a stupid Sinotech. The tv repair guy said that earlier HD tv's don't have the necesary HDMI audio converter inside to convert hdmi to the audio out port. Not sure of the exact model. 39" about 5 years old, perhaps more. Can't remember.

Now it makes sense why this was so much cheaper than the rest. They probably knew that it isn't future proof. If anything can ever be.

Fyson

SeRpEnT

Executive Member
Awesome, thanks. That is almost what I need. You see I have 2 HDMI cables that will need to go to one audio connector.
Or I will need to manually connect that to dstv or bluray depending on my needs, which is a hassle.

Anything else that can take two HDMI inputs and split the audio to one output?

You confuse me. What exactly do you want to do?
An hdmi hub or selector will allow multiple hdmi in and one out. Ask AVSUPPLY. He rocks.

Fyson

Thanks AVSupply, but that product won't help at all. It has no audio outputs.

Maybe I wasn't clear.

Its not that my tv doesn't have enough HDMI ports. It's got 2, I need only 2. The problem is my TV does not convert the HDMI audio so that it can go to my HI using the TV Audio out connectors.

A converter is needed that can take 2 hdmi cables, provide 1 hdmi output, split the audio to a seperate audio output that I can then connect to aux input on my hifi.

I hope that clarifies it SeRpEnT.

AVSupply

AV Supply representative
Company Rep
Thanks AVSupply, but that product won't help at all. It has no audio outputs.

Maybe I wasn't clear.

Its not that my tv doesn't have enough HDMI ports. It's got 2, I need only 2. The problem is my TV does not convert the HDMI audio so that it can go to my HI using the TV Audio out connectors.

A converter is needed that can take 2 hdmi cables, provide 1 hdmi output, split the audio to a seperate audio output that I can then connect to aux input on my hifi.

I hope that clarifies it SeRpEnT.

Hi there

I was suggesting a combination of adapters

2 Devices >> 3x1 HDMI Switch >> HDMI Analog adapter >> TV for Video / Amplifier for Audio

All you need to do then is switch to the desired input, which would output Video on your TV and Audio through your amp

Make sense?

Fyson

Haha, yes I was starting to think it would be easier just to get a new TV.
But my budget is already shot due to impulsive bluray player I bought.

SeRpEnT

Executive Member
So your bluray player doesnt have any other audio out connectors that are compatible with your hifi?
What bluray player do you have? And what hifi? URL/link please? Or name and model so that we can google it. Would help to know what connections are possible before we can give a definite answer.

Sure you can use some kind of converter/adapter to do it all via your tv but it might be expensive and depending on what connections you have available it might even be possible to use other cheaper adapters.

Fyson

So your bluray player doesnt have any other audio out connectors that are compatible with your hifi?
What bluray player do you have? And what hifi? URL/link please? Or name and model so that we can google it. Would help to know what connections are possible before we can give a definite answer.

Sure you can use some kind of converter/adapter to do it all via your tv but it might be expensive and depending on what connections you have available it might even be possible to use other cheaper adapters.

Sorry for the delay.

It is a cheap Samsung. Just google Samsung Bluray Player. The cheapest one you find, thats the one. Only have a Coaxial HD audio port. I'm thinking of using that with a converter to RCA and then a normal RCA splitter that can take my RCA from DSTV and the Bluray Player to Hifi.

Hi fi is an old one with only RCA inputs. About 5 years old as well.

Fyson

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
What's the point of going Bluray (and presumably HD) if you aren't going to watch it in ****ty Stereo using ****ty cables?

The only way in this case to make it happen would be to use audio outputs on the TV itself...if it has those.

Otherwise take back the Bluray player and get one that is also a sound system like the Samsung ranges with HDMI outs (and preferably INs so you can connect the DSTV to your sound system).

stevenv

Expert Member
Brings me back to the days I had a DVD player with a TV that only had RF inputs.