Help: 9860 Torch Not Connecting to BIS

seedat77

I bought a 9860 Torch, knowing that it's imported but hoping it would work with BIS as there are a lot been sold on Bidorbuy and obviously there are prople using it. It is not network locked as calls, sms and browsing using the "internet" apn works. However, I've been trying for the last 2 days and can't get it connected to BIS on Vodacom, MTN or 8ta. The 3G with the bb logo shows, but BIS is not connected. The diagnostics test shows the following:
Blackberry Registration: Yes
Connected to Blackberry: No
Blackberry PIN-PIN: Abort

I've been Googling and trying all sorts of things, but nothing works. I couldn't do a firmware update using desktop manager but managed to update the firmware using Apploader. However, it is an Indosat firmware update. There are no local firmwares available as the phone was not launched here.

If there is anyone using a 9860, please let me know what firmware you updated it to, or how you managed to get BIS working.

Returning the phone is not an option as it was not bought from a dealer.

Please help :(

Porsche Driver

I have been using a BB9860 on Vodacom for a while. BIS works fine.

You can obtain the latest firmware from here : http://berryshout.com/?m=9860&l=en
I assume you know how to install firmware from different carriers without bricking your device.

I'm not sure why your BIS is not working on any of our local networks.
Did you buy the device brand new / sealed in a box ?

seedat77

I have been using a BB9860 on Vodacom for a while. BIS works fine.

You can obtain the latest firmware from here : http://berryshout.com/?m=9860&l=en
I assume you know how to install firmware from different carriers without bricking your device.

I'm not sure why your BIS is not working on any of our local networks.
Did you buy the device brand new / sealed in a box ?

I installed the first one that's on the list in the link you provided. I don't think the firmware is the issue. I'm gonna try to contact the SP help-desk, but I'm almost certain they gonna say that they can't help because it's an imported phone. The phone looks new, but was not sealed. I think I burnt my fingers here.

Porsche Driver

If you don't mind can you please tell me exactly which firmware you're using.

I am using this firmware version : 7.1.0.912
I agree in that i dont think firmware is causing your problems.

Have you tried inserting the sim you are currently using into another blackberry device to see if BIS is active/functioning on that sim ?

seedat77

I am using this firmware version : 7.1.0.912
I agree in that i dont think firmware is causing your problems.

Have you tried inserting the sim you are currently using into another blackberry device to see if BIS is active/functioning on that sim ?

The sim works in a different BB device. After endless calls with Vodacom BB support, I decided to just sell the phone. Seems like it's something to do with the device itself. For some reason it could not be picked up on the network.