[Help] Laptop hinge repairs

mr_norris

Expert Member
I am in a bit of a pickle. A few months ago, I created this thread where I whined about Rectron and Gigabyte. Things have gotten worse. To summarize:

* I got the part I needed from Rectron
* I replaced it myself
* In September, I opened it up and saw that the same thing happened again (screw mounts around hinges are wrecked).
* I then took it back to Rectron to sort out
* I got word from them that the laptop is now EOL, and Gigabyte can't send any replacement parts, so there is nothing they can do.

I am in a real jam, as the laptop itself is in pretty much mint condition, aside from the hinges. But a laptop that you can't open or close isn't ideal. By the looks of it, I have two viable solutions here:

* Find a repair centre of sorts that can fix it for me. I suspect that this may involve some DIY sort of work. These people seem pretty legit, so I've mailed them.
* DIY work myself, where I drill through the casing, and use screws / rivets / whatever as mounting points.

Does anyone have any advice?

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
Who can I contact to fix my laptop in CPT? My down button does not work at all.

ponder

Honorary Master

mr_norris

Expert Member
I was searching through the threads I created to see if I have posted something before and came across this one, so I figured I'd drop a small update.

First of all, irepairer.co.za don't respond to mails - so if you ever need help for them, perhaps calling is a better idea. But the lack of a response was a real buzz kill - considering I was willing to give them my money to fix my problem. Not answering emails in this day and age gets bad marks from me IMO. Lost customer for life. As did a lot of other shops claiming to be able to fix hinges and not replying.

Whining aside, I fixed the problem myself. I have tried many fail epoxies (mostly pratley stuff) and they were all useless. They have a picture of a bulldozer being held up by their epoxy onto a crane on their packaging - all LIES LOL. I got so sick and tired of the long "strip laptop, plaster with glue, get disappointed because it doesn't stick, clean up and reassemble" process that I resorted to sticking toothpicks together to get an idea of the strength. I have spent so much money on epoxy's, one would think that I am a handy man if they had to see my collection.

I hit one unexpected winner though - Q-bond. That stuff is the freaking bomb. You can get it from places like Makro or Builders. It is quite challenging to work with it when you have ape hands and need to fix tiny laptop things, but otherwise, I have yet to have that stuff break on me. My laptop has been fully assembled and working properly since the end of December now. I had to take out the hinges again to tighten them up again, and repair another new broken screw mount, but all the other work I have done is proper solid.

Anyway, I hope that this helps someone if they are in the same jam and come across this thread.