Help me choose a feature phone (sub-R200)

hj2k_x

Honorary Master
What am I looking for? A very simple feature phone (not a smart phone) with a focus on battery life, call quality and ability to send sms (and type easily).

Like this one here:

https://www.ackermans.co.za/product/cellular/cellphones/2.4-TREND-MOBILE-A4#.XAz-Nua6IwA

My question is: there are a lot of phones you can get for R200 or less. Is any of them any good?

I'd use them as backup phones for when the apocalypse comes. Or when there is loadshedding and everyone's fancy smartphones have run out of battery. I'd grab a few phones and put a SIM in each so we (family) could at least stay in contact via sms or calls if we needed to(assuming the apocalypse /loadshedding hasn't taken out the cell towers). Also for when we are out running in case thieves / murderers want to steal our things, I'd much rather give them a R200 feature phone than a fancy smart one.

Bonus would be colour screen, dual SIM capability, and SD card slot (to use as mp3 player).

Let me know your thoughts / suggestions.

Trend-A4_360_360_50_FFFFFF_s_compressed.jpeg

I've seen at the local PnP they're advertising a R119 "Mint Mira" or something like that. It claims to have the features you want, dual-SIM, SD card (FM radio and MP3), and some such. I wasn't able to find any info about it on the internet but they claim it's SA's most affordable phone.

If the apocalypse comes though it's basically just your MP3s you'll have because I doubt the cellphone towers will be working for all that long ;-)

edit: I think it had a torch too. Not completely sure.

McT

The Humble Scot!
I've seen at the local PnP they're advertising a R119 "Mint Mira" or something like that. It claims to have the features you want, dual-SIM, SD card (FM radio and MP3), and some such. I wasn't able to find any info about it on the internet but they claim it's SA's most affordable phone.

If the apocalypse comes though it's basically just your MP3s you'll have because I doubt the cellphone towers will be working for all that long ;-)

My wife got this for my son (9). Looks decent. FM radio is a hit for the lad. Will be putting an SD card in it (although not yet looked to see how what is permitted). Dual-sim was a good LOL considering the price tag for our handsets.

Not sure what the tech specs are on battery life and whatnot, but at that price, it does all you need it for.

Before you think we are frugal with the type of handset he's allowed, it is for good reason. There ain't no way I am allowing him anything with data till he's a little older and can look after his things longer than a day. Till then, this the best he will get.

hj2k_x

Honorary Master

Good stuff. I'll see if my local picknpay has any.

hj2k_x

Honorary Master
My wife got this for my son (9). Looks decent. FM radio is a hit for the lad. Will be putting an SD card in it (although not yet looked to see how what is permitted). Dual-sim was a good LOL considering the price tag for our handsets.

Not sure what the tech specs are on battery life and whatnot, but at that price, it does all you need it for.

Before you think we are frugal with the type of handset he's allowed, it is for good reason. There ain't no way I am allowing him anything with data till he's a little older and can look after his things longer than a day. Till then, this the best he will get.
That sounds pretty decent. Fm radio is a great addition for such a cheap phone.

hj2k_x

Honorary Master
Got the Mint from PicknPay. It was R119.

It seems to have two SIM slots AND an SD card slot. That's more than my S9+ can manage...comes with a charger as well. And a cute little box.

Pics below for interest.

Have to get a SIM to play around with it some more later.

Pretty amazed so far.
20181211_133908.jpeg 20181211_134234.jpeg 20181211_133834.jpeg

sajunky

Honorary Master
Keyboard almost identical to my Nokia 1600.

I don't see a reason for dual SIM on the dumb phone. What is SD card for?

EDIT: OH, camera.

hj2k_x

Honorary Master
Keyboard almost identical to my Nokia 1600.

I don't see a reason for dual SIM on the dumb phone. What is SD card for?
Dual sim plus SD card might be overkill. I thought it was two SIM slots, one of which could take an SD card. But it turns out to be 3, 2 of which are sim slots and one is for SD card.

I'm going to source a cheap sd card and use the thing as an mp3 player / radio for starters. The radio works pretty well.