Help me with my site

Shayd

Expert Member
Hi folks, I need help from the brilliant minds on this forum. I have recently put together a very simple site website based on a template I kinda liked.

I am a financial planner but have a pretty good understanding of basic html. I would like you guys to tear apart my website and tell me what you would say are glaring problems on it. Also any suggestions on solutions would help.

I am not trying to generate thousands of hits as I am a single guy established business in Northcliff and pretty much just want to get an online presence for my clients.

Next year I will be running a charity event whereby my clients, or anybody I suppose can refer new clients to me and I will give the charity of their choice R300 for each new clients brought in. Kinda my way of giving back but benefiting from it.

Any advice on changing the format, content would be much appreciated as my target is to give away R25000 to charity next year and if the site it hideous they will most likely not get a cent.

The site is www.phicapital.co.za

Thanks

RSkeens

Expert Member
The link colours to the left needs to be changed. Yellow and green don't cut it. Try making the main text area's background white or a different (probably lighter) shade of blue to set itself apart from the left navigation background.

Those two things should be quick and easy.

niftyshorts

Not bad, however, some basic CSS skills would be well worth it to making your page look a lot crisper (www.w3schools.com). And yeah - try to make a better logo (you can use gimp if you're poor or photoshop if you're rich).

McT

The Humble Scot!
1. Logos should be crisper
2. You should look to format the text & justify it if possible
3. Look at bullet points in Services ... looks a little tacky
4. Leave space between the number and the beginning of sentence
5. Services ... point 6 ... try not to allow the sentence to begin under numbering ... try to bring definition to the sentence
6. Font and formatting in "Contact Me" is quite different to the rest of the site?

Nice simple format. So who is your target market?

AntiThesis

Executive Member
What all the rest have said and a big yes on the better quality logo. That kind of thing makes or breaks a site for me. If you're not artistic/good with logos, get someone to create one for you :)

I'm sure you could find folks right here who'd take a crack at it.

Also, the title of your main page makes the English teacher in me die a little :D

PhiCapital you financial partner should be PhiCapital - Your Financial Partner

FYI, it would cost you +- R2000 for someone to do it for you with whatever is mentioned in this thread as well. Which would make it a bit more professional looking. Remember, you're promoting your services... and would like people to find you online.

Sometimes you can't put a price on that

AntiThesis

Executive Member
Sorry to harp on about the language but there are multiple grammatical errors :D I can proofread and send you a list if you'd like :)

Drake2007

Expert Member
Code:
<meta name="KEYWORDS" content="replace, these, words, that, describe, your, site, and, page, contents, separated, by, 

commas">
<meta name="DESCRIPTION" content="Here is where you put a short sentence or two describing this page and it's goals">
Sort out your meta tags.
Your contacts page, the idea of using a form is so your email address is "hidden" from spambots. You will get spammed.

Last edited:

jucedupp

Shayd

I will make you a site for free, seeing that I gave you so much crap in the other thread. I will PM you a link to my latest client so that you can see my work.

Juced

Shayd

Expert Member
thanks for the help guys by tomorrow I should have most of this corrected. My biggest problem is I am artistically challenged so making things pretty needs to be something I need input on. I need to thank you guys.

As far as a website designer goes, I hired one and setup my requirements. The problem came with them saying that it would be ready in 3 weeks and I was happy with that.

3 days before they publish date they said sure its ready we go live on Friday, Friday rolled round and 3 phone calls later they still didn't back to me. At 4:45 pm I get an SMS saying sorry I am sick will phone you tomorrow. Saturday rolls round and no phone call. Sunday after 2 phone calls not being answered I get and SMS saying sorry but my pc has crashed please be patient. I simply sent an SMS back saying, don't worry about it I will make other arrangements, 5min later I finally get my first phone call saying please don't cancel.

Needless to say I didn't wait. I was paying R3000 for a simple 5 page website with a little graphics. Unreal.

Anyhow I decided to add it to the amount I will pay to charity next year on behalf of my clients.

Shayd

Expert Member
Contacted afrihost, they say they pay their registration fees in batches to save bank fees. Doesn't bug me but thanks for the heads up slingshot.

martin

Expert Member
The best advice anyone on here can give you - hire a professional. It's not as expensive as you think. This is your business identity represented to the online world. I wouldn't use your services purely based on how outdated your website looks. This is not a personal attack on you - this is simply my honest feedback.