Help needed - broken laptop screen + disabled video card

badtrev

Hi all. A couple of weeks before the lockdown began, my son broke his laptop screen, but didn't tell anyone. He connected to the external monitor and all was good - I just assumed he preferred it that way. Then after the lockdown started, he came to me to say that the external connection wasn't working, so I said just use the laptop screen. That's when the details emerged about the broken screen.

Then he was pressed as to why the external connection had stopped working. Obviously he said that he had done nothing but after being pressed he admitted that he had disabled the graphics card for reasons unknown. The laptop is an ASUS A555L with the 930M graphics card (I think), which is disabled. So upon connecting the external monitor and trying the suggested tricks of closing screen immediately, etc. it still doesn't work.

We can't get it fixed right now, but are there any suggestions of things to try - the laptop screen is totally destroyed - when you look at it's like you're on a bad trip with rainbows everywhere. Thanks.

Ragnarök

Expert Member
First , when booted up , and screen is connected , what happens when you press the FN key and the screen projector F key

Google factory reset , think on Asus is F9 when Logo appears .

Look for photos or a video , and hope you press the right screens :)

Last edited:

Tun@

Expert Member
Perhaps also worth a try if its on win10

Also try leaving the lid open cos if the settings aren't right it may causes problems working also....power settings /choose what to do with close lid or something to that effect

Edit: these settings here will depend what happens when you close that lid so leave it open
Capture112.JPG

Last edited:

Dimpie (COMPUTEK)

Executive Member
Hi all. A couple of weeks before the lockdown began, my son broke his laptop screen, but didn't tell anyone. He connected to the external monitor and all was good - I just assumed he preferred it that way. Then after the lockdown started, he came to me to say that the external connection wasn't working, so I said just use the laptop screen. That's when the details emerged about the broken screen.

Then he was pressed as to why the external connection had stopped working. Obviously he said that he had done nothing but after being pressed he admitted that he had disabled the graphics card for reasons unknown. The laptop is an ASUS A555L with the 930M graphics card (I think), which is disabled. So upon connecting the external monitor and trying the suggested tricks of closing screen immediately, etc. it still doesn't work.

We can't get it fixed right now, but are there any suggestions of things to try - the laptop screen is totally destroyed - when you look at it's like you're on a bad trip with rainbows everywhere. Thanks.

Why not. Any PC/Laptop repair shop with a CiPC essential services permit should be able to assist ... not sure at what price tho.

If you know how to remove the covers, try to unplug the screen from the motherboard ... it should force the external display to work.

How exactly did he disable the GPU ?

Old_Liver

When it boots up, you can press the Start + P button together a few times and see if it helps.

upup

Executive Member
There is a you tube video , on how to use the laptop's camera as a home cctv.

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic

How did he disable the graphics, you cant really do that. Either the onboard GPU or dedicated GPU will work.

badtrev

Why not. Any PC/Laptop repair shop with a CiPC essential services permit should be able to assist ... not sure at what price tho.

If you know how to remove the covers, try to unplug the screen from the motherboard ... it should force the external display to work.

How exactly did he disable the GPU ?
I didn't realize that repair shops were open, thought only the retailers were. But it's not urgent anyway, he has a computer for schoolwork in the interim. He can sweat it out a bit more with no games. i'm not sure what he did, but he says he disabled it to "make the fan quieter".

badtrev

First , when booted up , and screen is connected , what happens when you press the FN key and the screen projector F key

Google factory reset , think on Asus is F9 when Logo appears .

Look for photos or a video , and hope you press the right screens :)
Nothing happens, did try that as well.

badtrev

Update: So i had the screen replaced. I think he had been sweating long enough. That laptop has the Intel HD graphics and the Geforce 930 M. He actually disabled the Intel Graphics, which is why I couldn't get it to project on the external screen. But its all sorted now.