Help needed to make a fibre decision! Please

QTMandz

Good day Everyone :)

We only have 1 supplier of Fibre in our complex - Link Africa. Now both Afrihost and Mweb list available packages for Link Africa packages. Mweb is way cheaper than Afrihost and both have free installation and router in the package. How does one go about choosing the provider? Do i check reviews for Link Africa or for mweb and afrihost to check what their customers say?

The price difference is rather big - mweb has 20mbps up and down for 699 and afrihost for the same package R947.

This is my 1st time looking into Fibre and would appreciate some assistance please :giggle:

Reactions: old

cobusv

i would pay the bit extra and go with afrihost, my experience with mweb was not that great, also check what upload speeds you get, mweb make the package cheaper but take away the upload speed which i did not like

Smiley_lauf

Expert Member

We only have 1 supplier of Fibre in our complex - Link Africa. Now both Afrihost and Mweb list available packages for Link Africa packages. Mweb is way cheaper than Afrihost and both have free installation and router in the package. How does one go about choosing the provider? Do i check reviews for Link Africa or for mweb and afrihost to check what their customers say?

The price difference is rather big - mweb has 20mbps up and down for 699 and afrihost for the same package R947.

This is my 1st time looking into Fibre and would appreciate some assistance please :giggle:
Also check if MWEB is FUP..which means after certain amount of data transfer (e.g. 200GB per month), they will throttle your speed)--it may not be 'truly uncapped, unshaped and unthrottled'. Whereas, Afrihost is. I also noticed the price difference between MWEB and Afrihost. So it essentially a toss up between affordability, user experience (speed limits during day, network quality, and after-sales support) and FUP. I was with MWEB a while back during ADSL days, and I must say I did not have issues with MWEB per say, but Telkom line supplier (their end was problematic). These days affordability is critical--these are monthly fees and any saving is worth gold.

PsyWulf

Executive Member

Neither
Go Websquad

abudabi

Expert Member

If it was me:

1. Websquad (yes I'm biased as I'm with them and couldn't be happier)
2. Afrihost
99. MWEB

CT_Biker

Expert Member
Avoid MWEB, the actual service is okay - but their fulfillment and customer service needs work on the best of days

Vishan

You should try @RSAWEB . I'm on LA and RSAWeb and have had no issues for the past 4 months.

They are currently offering the double your speed so I'm currently paying R595 for a 20meg line.

old

[/QUOTE

Sadly neither is a good choice, but given your limited restrictions with two unfavourable choices... I would rather payless than more for the poor quality of ISP.

Sig_ZA

It's not price that matters, it's service, i.e. both their support and qualify of their network.

Whatever you pay the ISP becomes really expensive when you don't have working internet and spend hours on the phone, emails and whatsapp to get things resolved.

My current ISP, who will remain cough *WA* nameless, takes about 2 weeks to resolve technical problems.
In the last 3.5 months I have had not internet, on 3 separate occasions, of between a week and 2 weeks.
I currently have an open ticket that I created on 6 June. Their last copy 'n paste response was 12 June. It's now 16 June and no further responses from them.

It's all about service.
Read some other threads and you'll pretty quickly start seeing a pattern.

cobusv

Avoid MWEB, the actual service is okay - but their fulfillment and customer service needs work on the best of days
nah i had a BAD EXPERIENCE with Mweb, stay away, wont touch them ever again

cobusv

It's not price that matters, it's service, i.e. both their support and qualify of their network.

Whatever you pay the ISP becomes really expensive when you don't have working internet and spend hours on the phone, emails and whatsapp to get things resolved.

My current ISP, who will remain cough *WA* nameless, takes about 2 weeks to resolve technical problems.
In the last 3.5 months I have had not internet, on 3 separate occasions, of between a week and 2 weeks.
I currently have an open ticket that I created on 6 June. Their last copy 'n paste response was 12 June. It's now 16 June and no further responses from them.

It's all about service.
Read some other threads and you'll pretty quickly start seeing a pattern.
at least youve decided to move on from them :)