Help with decision on backup power solution

Tightroped

Hi,
I'm looking to get a backup power solution for my home. My father in-law has the setup below. I understand the need for the 2 main components: an inverter and batteries. However, I'm not sure how essential the isolator and automatic changeover is. According to my father in-law the isolator is required to protect the batteries when their charge dip below a certain point and the automatic changeover is required to switch to the backup when load shedding hits. He paid around R25 000 for this setup including installation/connection to the DB board.

If a decided to go with this system from Geewiz how will it compare to that of my father in-law in terms of the following:

1. Is the isolator required or does the batteries have built-in protection?
2. Is the changeover required or does the inverter somehow detects when Eskom is down?
3. If an electrician were to connect the system to my DB board how many extra components not included in the Geewiz package would he require?
4. What would a rough estimate be for an electrician to connect this system to my DB board and issue a COC certificate?
5. How does the 3000va Mecer axpert inverter compare to the 30000va Synapse hybrid inverter?
6. Is the Mecer axpert a hybrid inverter?
7. How does the power output (no sure about the technical term) compare between the two systems considering the one uses gel batteries and other lithium iron batteries.
8. Does the Geewiz package contain quality components?
9. Any alternatives you'd recommend?
backup_power_setup.png

Reactions: Yuu
Auto change over is not required as the inverter that you choose actively is the change over.

From a safety point of view and requirement, yes it is needed to install an isolator between the battery and inverter with the required size.

From the geewiz packages they just include the inverter and batteries. Oh and battery box. Haven't really seen a fuse there but their systems are more towards the portable side and not fixed as I understand but there is a number of additional items needed

Depending on your install it can cost anything from R5k onwards depending how much work is needed on the exsisting dB and the additional inorder to sign off on a coc.

Mecer, synapse, Kodak, rct and a number of other brands are allade by voltronic power with just a different skin so It will be the same quality in each inverter, only thing that will stand out is the after sales/warranty service.

If your budget allows then go lithium, they will last you a heck of a time longer but if budget restricts then gel batteries as they have a slightly longer life than the standard batteries.

I can't really comment on the quality of their items but I do ensure what I supply are top notch, and no excuse to turn down a warranty.

What you looking at perhaps I can put a complete system together for you, if you in an area that I have an installer then i can arrange everything and you just sit back. Pm me

Auto change over is not required as the inverter that you choose actively is the change over.
I'm a noob with this, so I must ask, is load going through the inverter all the time, or does it kick in when the grid fails to supply (via changeover)?

I'm not an expert and am sure some of them will come in here to comment during today and tomorrow, but some considerations:

1. Battery isolator as far as I know is always required

2. As mentioned above, changeover should not be required as most (there may be exceptions) inverters should act as the changeover, however I am not sure how gel batteries factor into the discussion. With lithium, number of cycles in terms of charge and discharge is not as big a consideration as it is with gel and perhaps the installer did it in this manner in order to limit the flow through the batteries? * again, I think the experts will be around soon

3. There would be some additional switches, earth leakage and cabling.

4. Probably about a days labour. I would guess around R3 k- R5k with the items in 3. included in this amount
4a) if you are going wired to DB and wall mounted you probably do not need the steel cabinet with wheels, which may translate into a small saving if you purchase the components individually

7. Lithium batteries are far better, but cost more.

9. If you intend to have the system mounted and connected to the DB, then suggest you look at the components separate and not the bundled mobile / trolley versions.

I bought most of my system from GW Store and they have some options you may want to consider. And most of the options allow for expansion at a later stage in terms of adding more batteries or getting solar panels.

One thing I am regretting now, is that I installed one battery and am struggling to find stock of the same battery to match. Either need to wait for stock or change to a different brand.

Last edited:
This is one of the big pros in favour of pylontech - you can mix and match their different models
Unfortunately the Pylontech's 0.5C rating results in costs almost doubling. I'd need 4 batteries then instead of 2.

Unfortunately the Pylontech's 0.5C rating results in costs almost doubling. I'd need 4 batteries then instead of 2.
That is another factor to consider yes. Although I've never had it give an issue (not that I often go over 5kW from just the battery). During the day panels obviously largely negate any issues around discharge current and I think it pulls in the balance from the grid if discharge current is exceeded at night.

I'm not an expert and am sure some of them will come in here to comment during today and tomorrow, but some considerations:

1. Battery isolator as far as I know is always required

2. As mentioned above, changeover should not be required as most (there may be exceptions) inverters should act as the changeover, however I am not sure how gel batteries factor into the discussion. With lithium, number of cycles in terms of charge and discharge is not as big a consideration as it is with gel and perhaps the installer did it in this manner in order to limit the flow through the batteries? * again, I think the experts will be around soon

3. There would be some additional switches, earth leakage and cabling.

4. Probably about a days labour. I would guess around R3 k- R5k with the items in 3. included in this amount
4a) if you are going wired to DB and wall mounted you probably do not need the steel cabinet with wheels, which may translate into a small saving if you purchase the components individually

7. Lithium batteries are far better, but cost more.

9. If you intend to have the system mounted and connected to the DB, then suggest you look at the components separate and not the bundled mobile / trolley versions.

I bought most of my system from GW Store and they have some options you may want to consider. And most of the options allow for expansion at a later stage in terms of adding more batteries or getting solar panels.

One thing I am regretting now, is that I installed one battery and am struggling to find stock of the same battery to match. Either need to wait for stock or change to a different brand.
Thanks, appreciate the response.

Back