Help with domain transfer away from MWEB

Cor Cronje

I've been struggling with MWEB technical support for at least six months, several customers of our organization, a public services company, has difficulty accessing our website and hit an 403, access denied error page whilst trying to browse to our website. Our website and email play an integral part in providing existing and potential customers with critical information, quotations and contact details, especially over the festive season where we transport a number of commuters to and from various national destinations.

MWEB could, or rather would not attend to the website hosting issue and I hence had no choice but to cancel the hosting account and transfer the domain. I submitted the cancellation request with MWEB late November 2016 and the MWEB account subsequently expired on Sunday the 31st December 2016. Unfortunately there is no MWEB staff on duty to accept domain transfer tickets and release domains, and according to MWEB technical staff, will only do so on Tuesday 2nd January 2017. Our email communications, website and other services linked to the domain DNS is hence unavailable to our personnel and customers and thus negatively affecting our operations and revenue.

MWEB technical staff refuses to release the domain and I am hoping someone could advise me an alternative course of action to restore at least our email services. I was considering doing a manual update request to the ZACR, but are unsure if this would be the best course of action nor worth the time. I still have access to the MWEB control panel but there is no option to alter the DNS nor MX records for the domain.

ambo

Expert Member
Is your email address listed as the registrant on the ZACR whois?

As long as the registrant can approve the transfer nothing else is needed from the existing DNS host or registrar. The existing registrar can't even block the transfer of the wanted to.

Cor Cronje

Hi Ambo, unfortunately my email is not listed as the registrant, but rather imc-tech@mweb.com. I suspect the transfer request will expire before MWEB accept the transfer ticket. It appears that MWEB hold all the keys and I have no option but to try and make contact with the relevant person tomorrow, and renew the ticket.

_neo

So mweb lists themselves as the registrant? Are they mad? No wonder this is even happening...

Jade @ ZA Domains

ZA Domains representative
Company Rep
Hi Ambo, unfortunately my email is not listed as the registrant, but rather imc-tech@mweb.com. I suspect the transfer request will expire before MWEB accept the transfer ticket. It appears that MWEB hold all the keys and I have no option but to try and make contact with the relevant person tomorrow, and renew the ticket.
Hi Cor,

You'll need to log a complaint against MWEB with ZA Central Registry (ZACR) for lack of compliance. Registrars are required to list the registrant's correct information and may not hinder nor interfere with the transfer of a domain name between other registrars (The registrant / owner has free will to move their domain to who ever they choose).

Alternatively have your Registrar log the complaint against ZACR on your behalf.

www.registry.net.za - legal@registry.net.za

So mweb lists themselves as the registrant? Are they mad? No wonder this is even happening...
MWEB have been doing this for years and we've lodged numerous complaints with ZACR against MWEB about this exact issue more than a hand full of times yet ZACR have chosen to ignore the issue and allow them to continue. It is extremely frustrating to say the least

Cor Cronje

Thanks again, MWEB on Tuesday accepted the transfer ticket and we're sorted now.

AuraHost

The legal route is a very grey area, we have had a few clients come to us with similar issue, but glad you now have it all sorted.

_neo

Hi Cor,

You'll need to log a complaint against MWEB with ZA Central Registry (ZACR) for lack of compliance. Registrars are required to list the registrant's correct information and may not hinder nor interfere with the transfer of a domain name between other registrars (The registrant / owner has free will to move their domain to who ever they choose).

Alternatively have your Registrar log the complaint against ZACR on your behalf.

www.registry.net.za - legal@registry.net.za

MWEB have been doing this for years and we've lodged numerous complaints with ZACR against MWEB about this exact issue more than a hand full of times yet ZACR have chosen to ignore the issue and allow them to continue. It is extremely frustrating to say the least
If they're not allowed to do it, as you say, then why is ZACR not doing anything about it?