Home Automation - Smartkit

For anybody running Home Assistant, here's a useful sensor anybody can add:

- platform: command_line
name: eskom_loadshedding_status
friendly_name: "Loadshedding status"
command: "curl http://loadshedding.eskom.co.za/LoadShedding/GetStatus"
value_template: '{{ value | round(0) | abs - 1 }}'
unit_of_measurement: "Stage"


Screen Shot 2018-12-02 at 13.59.21.png
 
For anybody running Home Assistant, here's a useful sensor anybody can add:

- platform: command_line
name: eskom_loadshedding_status
friendly_name: "Loadshedding status"
command: "curl http://loadshedding.eskom.co.za/LoadShedding/GetStatus"
value_template: '{{ value | round(0) | abs - 1 }}'
unit_of_measurement: "Stage"


View attachment 586306

Now if only there was a more granular area specific output then I could have it shut down my server in advance with an automation maybe.
 
So I had bought many Sonoff devices from smarkit, but never did anything with them as I didn't wan't to use EWElink. I got my Hass.io running on my local network and all is good there. What I am struggling with right now is being 100% sure that I wire up the FTDI232 correctly to allow me to flash them. I bought this adaptor from pishop as was recommended a few months ago in this thread to help flash to tasmota.

Two questions, can someone please post a pic their FTDI232 setup. I moved the jumper to 3.3v but I can't read the names of the 6 pins to be sure I am putting power, etc in the right place.

Also is this now the best way to flash to tasmota now?

http://drzzs.com/updated-sonoff-basic-flashing/
 
Now if only there was a more granular area specific output then I could have it shut down my server in advance with an automation maybe.

You can probably code in the schedule for each area. But for Tshwane they loadshed our block anywhere from 30 mins prior to 30 mins after the actual block...
 
Last edited:
You can probably code in the schedule for each area. But for Tshwane they loadshed our block anywhere from 30 mins prior to 30 mins after the actual block...

Yeah I was thinking of just building a cron job for it as it’s fairly static to simply run 15 minutes before and then switch it on manually.

Maybe must use that status to feed it some form of if then do, but never done that with cron before.
 
So...... the usual service, or lack of, from Qwikswitch.

Maybe one of the guys here can help - @ipodmusicman - pretty please.

Our Qwikswitch wi-fi bridge is set up to schedule various devices. We got a new router yesterday so the bridge isn't connecting.

The assistance I received from head office was to download the installation manual :ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:. I'm not sure the lady understood that it's currently connected to one router but needs to be changed to another. She gave a message to Dale asking him to call me and I'll post here with the solution if he phones back.

I can't get hold of the JHB rep who usually helps me :(

Apologies to Smartkit guys for asking in your thread but I know this is where you hang :confused:

Hi there, this thread has become a one stop home automation discussion in any case. Smartkit sells Qwikswitch products too. :) Regarding your WiFi Bridge, when you got your new router, I assume that you changed the WiFi details on the new router to the same SSID and password you originally had ... that would be a lot easier so that all your existing devices just connect. If that is not the case, then you need to re-pair the bridge with your router and the easiest is using WPS. I had changed from using a router (disabled its Wifi) to an access point and the process was seamless because I had configured the AP to the same SSID and password as my router so my bridge just connected.

Dale has been moved somewhere else in the business so your best bet is to speak to Ashley.

FYI, for those who are using Home Assistant, the developer who did the Qwikswitch integration to Home Assistant is working on the integration using the API to the Qwikswitch cloud. There is a PR open on Github, but he hasn't worked on it for a while now. The problem is that I am waiting for him to finish up as I want to add cover support to the Qwikswitch platform in Home Assistant, so that a relay can act as a cover as is the case with a light or a switch. Then I can tell Alexa to close my garage door instead of telling her to turn off my garage door.

Also, QS is still making the USB Hub as it is the best way to use QS with Home Assistant.
 
I used this one last time I did it.


Thank you. I was confused because mines ftdi232 has six pins and everyone shows five including the placeholder picture that comes up for this video on your post.

Will see what I can do later.

From a WiFi security point of you, is it my understanding that everyone is just using their basic/normal SSID for the ha stuff or are you folks setting up dedicated SSIDs just for these iot devices?

Thinking I should be putting them in a dedicated lan
 
Thank you. I was confused because mines ftdi232 has six pins and everyone shows five including the placeholder picture that comes up for this video on your post.

Will see what I can do later.

From a WiFi security point of you, is it my understanding that everyone is just using their basic/normal SSID for the ha stuff or are you folks setting up dedicated SSIDs just for these iot devices?

Thinking I should be putting them in a dedicated lan

Using my normal one for the moment but probably need to get my stuff in order and set up a second SSID. And a vlan.
 
Thank you. I was confused because mines ftdi232 has six pins and everyone shows five including the placeholder picture that comes up for this video on your post.

Will see what I can do later.

From a WiFi security point of you, is it my understanding that everyone is just using their basic/normal SSID for the ha stuff or are you folks setting up dedicated SSIDs just for these iot devices?

Thinking I should be putting them in a dedicated lan

I don’t see why you need a secondary SSID or Lan for this as it would only make your life harder.

Who don’t you trust on your very own network?
 
The IoT devices! :D

A communist behind every bush?

Meh mine are all flashed.

And if I have to start thinking like that then I need to segregate my own routers and AP’s off my network...which means I might as well go offline.
 
Exactly. Don't trust them :) or if they get hacked remotely, then to contain it (hopefully).
 
I have two corner lamps connected to a Sonoff 2 channel switch. Schedule to switch on at 7:30pm and off at 11:00pm. So the power goes off at 8pm due to load shedding. When the power came on at 10:30pm, the lights did not return to their on state.
1. Should the Sonoff switch not persist its state as it should get that from the cloud it is connected to?
2. If not, that means I don't need internet for the Sonoff switches to work once set-up? e.g. does it "download" the schedule to it's internal memory?
3. How the heck do you switch the lights back on without needing to find a smart phone with the app and connected to the internet?
 
I have two corner lamps connected to a Sonoff 2 channel switch. Schedule to switch on at 7:30pm and off at 11:00pm. So the power goes off at 8pm due to load shedding. When the power came on at 10:30pm, the lights did not return to their on state.
1. Should the Sonoff switch not persist its state as it should get that from the cloud it is connected to?
2. If not, that means I don't need internet for the Sonoff switches to work once set-up? e.g. does it "download" the schedule to it's internal memory?
3. How the heck do you switch the lights back on without needing to find a smart phone with the app and connected to the internet?

3. Press the button on the unit.
 
I have two corner lamps connected to a Sonoff 2 channel switch. Schedule to switch on at 7:30pm and off at 11:00pm. So the power goes off at 8pm due to load shedding. When the power came on at 10:30pm, the lights did not return to their on state.
1. Should the Sonoff switch not persist its state as it should get that from the cloud it is connected to?
2. If not, that means I don't need internet for the Sonoff switches to work once set-up? e.g. does it "download" the schedule to it's internal memory?
3. How the heck do you switch the lights back on without needing to find a smart phone with the app and connected to the internet?
This is my settings screen for my sonoff basic.

9840b9e8960cbe1c329d58ed1c88d760.jpg
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X